Skip to content

Squad contract situation

Comments

• edited April 21

Let's hope we quickly hear he's signed a long term deal.

(Here, I should add!)

• The news about players leaving normally happens within about a week of the end of the season, I think? It is going to be a very interesting news day!

• I’ll never begrudge anyone the opportunity to advance their career and secure their future. But for all the financial benefits of his contract with Aberdeen, he must have had a miserable couple of years.

• I'm pretty sure Anthony Stewart will be back in the summer.

No inside info whatsoever, just got a feeling

• Oh Stewart's move was an absolute disaster. Ending up injured at a lower tier side for MK only works on a living closer to home level, nothing else.

Hopefully we hear news we've signed Forino on a big 3 year deal, showing faith despite his mass of little niggles and injuries, and both sides get a lot of security going forward.

• Given how encouraging, uplifting and generally positive March and April have been, I fear May and June are going to be one month of bad news followed by another month of even more bad news.

• Cheer up mate! We have Blooms the master recruiter as our gaffer (and I mean that!).

• Let's hope we don't have a "Mickey Bell summer", like we did in 1997.

I remember being really positive for the upcoming season and him going just utterly annihilated that in one moment.

• I don’t really see how that’s possible, would be a huge shame to lose Forino but let’s face it he only appears about 15 games a season.

Everyone else that’s OOC is replaceable and Bloomfield is really getting it right in the recruitment department.

• edited April 21

Clearly it’s subjective but losing a player of Chris Forino-Joseph’s ability, mentality and potential is a huge blow, notwithstanding that he comes across as a very intelligent and humble man. Replacing him is going to very difficult indeed.

We’re going to lose our loanees, and we’ll do well to find someone with the quality and versatility of Nigel Lonwijk. Never fall in love with a loan player etc.

I expect Ryan Tafazolli to move on and Joe Low to be sold. I suspect the latter will be similar to Fred Onyedinma’s situation in 2021.

That would leave us with just one centre-back in Declan Skura.

We’re also going to lose the quality of Freddie Potts and see the retirement of Joe Jacobson and possibly both Garath McCleary and Sam Vokes too. These departures might be expected but that doesn’t make them any less disappointing.

Joe’s penalty winner v Oxford United at Wembley has been my screensaver for almost four years, and I can’t pretend I’m not going to miss him.

We are likely going to need to recruit two new goalkeepers, another right-back, two left-backs, four centre-backs, a replacement for Potts, two wingers and a new strike-force to supplement the unlimited potential of Richard Kone.

Matt and his staff really are going to have to pull some rabbits out of hats, especially on what is likely to be a reduced playing budget.

• Yep. His "negative" version wasn't a pleasant read.

• edited April 21

I love Vokes, but at this stage I don't think losing him hurts us too much. The stat below is a little unfair perhaps as he has played much more than most of the other forwards on this list, has "chances" that are more likely to be headers from less than optimal crosses and does more besides score, but considering the money he is likely on, it is still telling.

Richard Kone averages almost half a goal per 90, which would be a pace of 23 goals if he played every game. Even though Lubala has been decent too and has a brilliant attitude, I think the #9 needs to be given to Kone next season, should Vokes move on.

Minutes per goal, Wycombe attackers (league only):

1. Richard Kone - 184
    2. Brandon Hanlan - 326
    3. Beryly Lubala - 409
    4. Garath McCleary - 420
    5. David Wheeler - 438
    6. Sam Vokes - 510
    7. Dale Taylor - 589
    8. Kieran Sadlier - 650

Shot accuracy:

1. Garath McCleary - 75%
    2. Kieran Sadlier - 55%
    3. Beryly Lubala - 50%
    4. Dale Taylor - 46%
    5. Brandon Hanlan - 46%
    6. Richard Kone - 42%
    7. Sam Vokes - 38%
    8. David Wheeler - 31%

Goal conversion:

1. Garath McCleary - 30%
    2. Brandon Hanlan - 23%
    3. David Wheeler - 19%
    4. Beryly Lubala - 17%
    5. Richard Kone - 16%
    6. Dale Taylor - 10%
    7. Kieran Sadlier - 7%
    8. Sam Vokes - 6%
  • Vokes has been an amazing signing for the club but the legs have gone. I would use the money spent on his wages which I assume are high on bringing in a new striker.

• Getting Hanlan back will be like a new player too. If we have Kone, Hanlan and Lubala, we may only need one more body.

• edited April 21

Will definitely be some head scratching this summer, while some people seem to be certain what players, other clubs and our management are thinking there's a huge amount to be worked through and any decision to sign or renew anyone will depend on competition. Who knows how many times we've kept hold of a player who was an option elsewhere purely because they got their first choice target instead.

We've got some very good players and some clubs will be in for them but there's a good deal of proximity bias , I'm sure fans of lots of clubs rate their players just as highly as we do. Not sure the club would ever bother signing anyone if they also thought they'd be off at the first chance.

Good news on GMac from the post match interview, was being quizzed on his fitness and he basically said he couldn't really point to how he's managed to stay so fit despite the years rolling by but "long may it continue" so unlikely to be considering any sudden retirement.

• Great on GMac, and as Blooms confirmed he wants to keep him, it seems hopeful!

• Absolutely Kone needs to be our main striker next season, the focal point, starts most games. Lubala looks more like a winger to me, and not that strong in the air. Also, don't get me wrong, I'd love him to come back and get 20 goals a season, but the chances of Hanlan doing that are slim, it was only a few weeks before he got injured that most were moaning about him for not trying when coming on and sulking for missing out on a move, he's a very frustrating player, unplayable one week, then goes missing for the next 10, personally I don't think he's the answer.

• If you ignore any PL loan players that is. As I can’t imagine he’s on more than £10k a week.

• I'd be surprised if McCleary moves on. Post match interviews with both him and Blooms on Saturday were positive in terms of him wanting to stay (Ok, reading between the lines a bit there, but clear he wants to play on!) and us wanting to keep him.

• I was really happy this morning until I read this and now I am pretty much suicidal. You certainly picked the right name for yourself. I bet your home is full of joy and happiness. 🤦🤦🤦

• That was obviously for @glasshalfempty

• Does anyone know whether those players that were on loan at non league clubs are now available for our last two games?

• Was going to say, I hope my 27 year memory wasn't enough to bring you down

• Incredible that he's below Wheels on minutes per goal when Wheels has played pretty much every outfield position on the pitch.

• A summer where everything will change you feel. Building a squad with loanees is always risky, but at a time when so many of our key figures feel like they're at the end of their time with us, it makes you wonder what we're going to do.

Striking situation will be interesting. Kone has started fantastically and his willingness to run at a defence is always pleasing. I'm a little worried pinning our attacking hopes on a lad that's just stepped out of non-league is a huge risk. We've never used Vokes in the right way and a player like that is always an easy target for fan rage even when it's wrong, but as a high-earner I imagine he'll go.

Hanlan's form was always extremely patchy, and who knows what it'll be like after a year out.

In defence, I hope we're not thick enough to let everyone go.

Forino was very keen for a move last summer and repeatedly refused to sign a new contract, so it won't be a huge surprise if he's gone. Can't afford for him, Taff and Joe Lowe to go, so I'd expect only one to leave.

• The hope with Forino is that we have one of those options for an additional 12 months, otherwise he will be on his way.

The fact that he has been playing a lot recently gives me a bit of hope that could be true. Max on the other hand is obviously coming to the end of his contract and has been dealt with rather differently.

• the other thing with Forino is that he hasn't always been picked when available this season, which may play a part in his decision-making

I hope he stays, he is very good centre half with the potential to be an even better one