Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• Coventry's penalty was quite generous, so swings and roundabouts... BUT COME ON COV!!!

• I take it all back. Abolish VAR.

• Football can be such a cruel sport.

• edited April 21

The salt from the Anti United club. 😂

City are still massive favourites, but City v Coventry would have been an absolute walkover.

• Yeah but they have Disney money and huge sponsors (who want to sponsor Wrexham for all the PR of being on Welcome to Wrexham every week when that airs) so their books are still legit unlike Man City.

• Hats off to Coventry for the comeback, i will take some credit as I stopped watching on 60 minutes when they were 3 down...

Seriously their run to the semis & staging such a stirring comeback is what the Cup is all about, sadly the likes of the top 6 don't get it

• Oh yes, not in the same category as City by any means.

Just the latest to join the likes of Salford, Fulham and others roaring through the leagues.

• They've gone through quite a few leagues to get to league 2 over a short period. Their "project" seems to have temporarily stalled though.

• Less likely, like last year's final showed. And Chelsea should have put them out yesterday.

But yes, City will rack another title with 115 charges. Sort of hilarious in a sick way.

• Top flight football without Man City would have been so much more intriguing. They are a boring blue pastel juggernaut, created by AI to play "perfect football".

• Just catching up with everything all at once

1) VAR is not fit for purpose.

2) Coventry earned a replay

3) the Nottingham Forest social media manager needs to learn how to switch accounts.

• VAR shouldn't have been needed, he was quite clearly offside.

But of course linesmen don't really flag for offside now, knowing that someone can check miles away

• edited April 21

You *literally* said "I defy anyone....." [to have a different opinion to me]

Talk about a lack of self-awareness

• It's an expression, and I don't act like a twat / start taking personal digs when someone has a differing opinion.

• I'd say that's very much open to debate

• VAR is the greatest ever example of the letter of the law being to the detriment of the spirit of the game.

• If it got every decision correct, maybe. But it doesn't even come close

20 years ago, the flag would have gone straight up and the offside given and everyone moved on immediately. Today we had the cruel spectacle of allowing Coventry fans that moment of pure unbridled joy before snatching it away from them.

You need to be a sociopath to support VAR

• I think even with every decision correct I would not want it, for the two following reasons:

1. There would still be a wait, so that celebrations are "provisional".
    2. There are so many decisions that are close to 50/50 because of the nature of the sport, that it would still be controversial, as half of the fans will say "you had a look and STILL disagree with me?" It is actually impossible for VAR not to add to controversy for that mere reason.
  • Oh don't get me wrong, not would I

• edited April 21

There was a decision in a Sheffield United v Spurs game in July 2020 that was so hilariously absurd and wrong that I realised the implementation of VAR was a busted flush and naively believed it would be phased out.

In the almost four years since we’ve seen so many absurd and wrong decisions that it’s brought the game into disrepute. It was never intended for this purpose, it’s not fit for purpose and yet there is absolutely no chance of it ever being phased out.

Given the events of these last few days, professional football needs a seismic shift that rocks its foundations to the very core. I fear I am being naive again even hoping for some such circumstance.

• It wasn’t just the semi final where VAR made some questionable decisions, Nottingham Forest had at least two, arguably three penalty claims at Everton that on another day would have been given by VAR. Something that was introduced to improve football is spoiling the game as a spectacle and undermining the on field officials. I would be delighted if it was scrapped but regrettably I think it’s here to stay.

• But those decisions VAR didn't intervene on, so the on field decision stood, as per pre VAR days.

• Referees are now so hesitant of making contentious decisions because they know VAR is there and will pull them up if they make mistake. Would Anthony Taylor have made the same decisions if VAR wasn’t in use? I’m not sure even he would know for sure.

• PL supporters could do something about VAR. A walkout 5 mins before the end of games for a couple of weeks would be hard for the authorities to ignore. I don't know anyone that likes it so I imagine the appetite would be there.

• My highlight of the weekend was seeing a former Liverpool player of some repute taking umbrage with the Nottingham Forest press release pointing out the Luton affiliation of the VAR official, something about a lack of class apparently. Perhaps a more classy way of demonstrating their displeasure would be to have a load of Forest fans drive past VAR HQ, wind down their window and spit at it? Sorry, just makes me sick to see that guy lecturing anyone on class, disgusting man.

• LX1LX1
    edited April 21

The sooner a European super league takes these corporations (and their wanky customers) away from our sport, the better.

At any opportunity vote for a European league and return dignity to our sport

• I am 100% on board! At first, the Euro league would make gobs of money on the first TV deal and the EFL would suffer, but once viewers realized that Man United v Athetico in 11th versus 12th was boring and the EFL still had the FA Cup and the jeopardy of promotion and relegation, that would change.

• edited April 21

Unfortunately, if that happened, nothing much would change. If Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Spurs all joined a European Super League, they would quickly be replaced by the likes of Newcastle, Aston Villa, Fulham, etc., with equally obnoxious owners chucking even more money at it, and not giving a flying foxtrot about the rest of the pyramid.