Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• It’s not really the fans though, that’s the point. It’s the owners that make the decision. Football is an entertainment business at its core. Do these owners want to watch long ball football in return for funding heavy losses of the club?

I’d also he very surprised if GA has received 4 Job offers from League 1 this year, as I think he’d of bitten their hand off to “get back into it” as he recently put it.

• The owners make the decision, but I do think they probably have the fans in mind, as they need punters to come through the turnstiles. However, I think there is also a demarcation line (I would say middle of L1) where the skill level is not there to have too many stylistic aspirations anyway. Having seen both Port Vale and Shrewsbury recently, they were no more stylistically wonderful than a GA team.

• Most of your posts seem to be how poor Ainsworth was, how amazing it is anyone would be interested in him and how clubs are better without him,

What's your agenda here?

• Having gone 1-0 up on 9 mins, Col U are now 2-1 v Doncaster…meaning that as things stand, they will still be at a very slight risk of going down on the last day of the season, though GD is likely to be their saviour, come what may.

All hail the Cowley magic. Possibly.

• I do think it is a mistake to purely categorise GA as simply a long ball manager.

I fondly remember that first post-Torquay season and seem to think, especially the first few months, that we actually played some really good football. What was evident back then however was his willingness to encourage the ‘dark arts’ that we became synonymous with.

I actually think GA was a very pragmatic manager but didn’t have the experience to deal with the entitled mentality of the players at a club like QPR.

• No agenda. I’m commenting about Ainsworth’s time at QPR, because the data doesn’t lie. But certainly not his time at Wycombe.

However, I do think we Wycombe fans have a tendency to overstate GAs managerial credentials, given what he achieved at our club, which is understandable.

But speaking with lots of football fans at other clubs, Ainsworths style is neither attractive or desired. I am also personally happy to say I did not enjoy Ainsworth ball for the most part.

So the topic for me is really around whether Ainsworth will get another job, in what league, and from there, how will he fare at his third club.

• I think this “entitled” mentality of the players at QPR is a bit of a lazy argument. The big question really is how is it that a new manager, with the same squad, has performed measurably higher than under GA?

These are hard questions that we Wycombe fans probably don’t want to ask, but the truth is probably less about player entitlement / player mentality, and far nearer to a complete mismatch in players and manager.

Is that on QPR, who should never have hired GA in the first place? Or is it on GA, too fixed and rigid in his style and approach? Probably a bit of both to be honest.

• Col U shipped a couple more tonight, making their GD superiority less secure going into final day.

• If only Sutton had not conceded that late equalizer on Saturday - it would make it a little easier!

• Normally I hope Franchise lose for the sake of all that is righteous in football, this time it's in aid of an even greater cause. All we need is for that and for Crewe to comfortably thrash the Essex Apes to make at least one thing right in the world.

• Needs to be a 5 goal swing.

I think Col U should be safe, unless of course MK put out a youth team/ reserves as they can’t qualify anywhere but 4th and can save the first 18 players for the Playoffs.

• A two goal win for Sutton takes them level on points and level on goal difference, but they will have scored one goal less, so they need a 0-3 win to send Colchester down. It’s not outside the realms of the possible.

• If Col U lose 1-0 then Sutton will need to score four more than MK to go above Col U

• Sorry, I misread the fixtures, I thought ColU were directly matched against Sutton. I’ll get me coat

• Col U play Crewe this weekend. Crewe need a draw to guarantee play offs, and Col U need a draw to stay up.

A gentleman's 0-0 on the cards?

• Grant McCann's Doncaster have now won 10 league games in a row, taking them from 20th on 5 March, to 5th place tonight.

• Might be enough to get the Posh job when Fergie moves on

• If Sutton win 3-0 and ColU lose 1-0 they’ll be level on points, goal difference, goals scored and they drew both games against eachother.

• Two other jobs that have an outside chance of coming up are those at Leyton Orient and Bristol Rovers. Despite both being safe for a while, they are 19th and 22nd in the last 10 form table, and Orient fans are openly speculating about Wellens not having signed his new contract and looking fed up.

I still think those chaps will keep their roles for now, but if GA does not pick up a job in the summer and those clubs start badly in 24/25, I could see them being in play.

• I can’t see him being welcome at B Rovers - Graham Coughlan was their most successful manager at this level in recent times, but was unpopular there despite leaving them in the playoff spots in L1 with an underfunded squad punching above its weight…the unpopularity apparently stemming from his, ahem, “gritty” football stylings.

Sound familiar?

Far better to have a tiki-taka purist (and obvious salt of the earth type) such as Barton. Possibly.

• A quite superb finish and the suspense of will it or won’t it?

https://www.facebook.com/basingstoketownfc/videos/1864501257304234/?app=fbl

• Surely that was just a speculative punt upfield to relieve the pressure, wasn't it? 🤣

• Fantastic scenes at Goodison tonight

• Our friend from Kirby must be buzzing

• https://x.com/KieranMaguire/status/1783129775550181465

Average league one loss of £4.3m. Football is fucked.

• edited April 25

Interesting thread that, so much for the league and their sensible budget for clubs recently in administration.

A certain midlands club raised the 2nd most income in the league but rather than paying back historic debt or setting a sensible route forward they are able to show 0 spent on transfer fees for bantz but then spent almost all of that income on wages and ended with massive total losses.

• The EFL, HMRC etc have basically allowed them to wipe their slate clean. You don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

• Of course they were never going to repay the debt but I'm sure there was a lot of waffle about acceptable spend, rules and budget plans.

Route one in football finances, spend as much as you possibly can on players and let some other mug fix it later.