Skip to content

Lack of children at Adams Park

Comments

• Wondered, seeing that there were hundreds of new posts, whether an abundance of multifaceted theories were being propounded about the reasons for the “disappearance” of children from Adams Park.

Felt like I’d gatecrashed an Old Boys party that I thought would by now have petered out.

A couple of observations. As I said last week, I felt envious of all you guys (assume, at risk of being an ass, no gals) being able to discuss, across several generations, the quirks and idiosyncrasies of some pretty extraordinary teachers.

@LX1’s own quirks and idiosyncrasies may have their roots, judiciously nourished over the intervening quarter of a century, in that extraordinary establishment.

Seriously though, it does seem remarkable that so many of us are the products of a Grammar School education.

• @micra whenever I try to explain the school I went to I say'it was a state grammar that tried to be a public school' (and then have to explain that public means private to my non UK friends)

• And then try to explain that they didn't have a team in our national sport, because..in their words..'there are plenty of football clubs around' lmao

• Absolute shithousery of an institution but fun to reminice

• My year was rich in talented footballers I reckon we could have achieved something nationally

• I didn't even go there and I've found it very entertaining. With the potentially suspect subject of 'Lack of Children at Adams Park', you could argue it's stayed on topic!

Would make a good poll for this site. Did you go to (a) RGS or (b) Another Grammar (c) Secondary school or (d) Comprehensive. Option (d) mainly being used by our army of Nottingham based supporters.

I'm one of the (c) oiks - hope I can stay?

• I was dragged up through a comp @micra on a council estate. It was only when we moved here when my kid was four and the first thing people said was 'I know a good 11+ tutor' that the world of grammar school education opened up before me. 😊

• Institution does sound more apt than establishment!

• Most of the 1999 Penn and Tyler's Green Berks and Bucks winners were at rgs, but there was no association football trained there. What a waste

• Which kind of alludes to why England havent got near a major trophy since 66. Talent lost down the drain because of the Tory dominated system

• You’re the last person I’d describe as arrogant.

• LX1LX1
    edited March 27

Fortunately the FA have created 'St George's Park in Staffordshire, sensibly copying the French model, where young talent is educated in football (but also other things if the individual doesn't 'make it')

Rant over. I'm off to weatherspoons

• LX1LX1
    edited March 27

It would be good to hear an intelligent response from the 'down thumber' here

• LX1LX1
    edited March 27

Most important for me is seeking out freemasons, and destroying them. As enemies of intelligence

• edited March 27

I didn't go to RGS, as I was living in Harrow at the time, but my son went there, and he was a member of the U15 team which won the Schools Rugby Final (then known as the Daily Mail cup) , played at Twickenham in 1998.

The RGS has always prided itself on being a premier rugby-playing school, with fixtures against top public schools such as Harrow, Eton, Millfield and Colstons. They don't have the finances or resources of those institutions, and can be considered as 'punching above their weight', a bit like WWFC. England RWC winner Matt Dawson was a product of their system.

Each annual intake of 192 first year pupils is split into 12 teams for training matches, and boys are moved up and down the pitches according to ability, until they arrive at a squad of 36 or so, who form the basis of the 1st and 2nd XV in each year group. It's quite a brutal hothouse system, and doesn't leave time or resources for coaching association football. Nothing to do with the Tories, the school works like this under Labour and Tory governments.

• Daily Mail and rugby absolutely deserve each other.

• Interesting definition of ‘top schools’ @bargepole. Charterhouse, Repton, Shrewsbury and arguably Eton, Harrow and Westminster with their particular kicking games are soccer schools. There are interesting societal reasons for this, mostly based around the office class / professionalism and WW1. In short rugby is not the sport of elite institutions.

• I started at the RGS in 1943 and the year before the new head Mr E R Tucker (a Welshman) had changed the school's winter game from football to rugby. That caused a big upset at the time which some have never got over. As it was then, the Air Training Corps section won the National ATC KO Football Competition, which was not even mentioned in the morning assembly. Kicking a football around on the field at lunchtime was supposed to be banned but it happened nevertheless. The way to avoid playing rugby on Wednesday afternoons was to do cross country.

• I was at RGS in the year above Matt Dawson who - I’m sure you won’t be surprised was a massive tool.

• As a member of the 1996 u15 team who won the national cup I can assure you how shit the setup is now.

Question...why does the rgs High Wycombe not have an association football team (our national sport)?

• 'a brutal hothouse system' is the most laughable phrase. Why have the rgs consistently failed at rugby this century @bargepole ?

• There's a privileged ignorant Honeyben coaching a side to defeats every week.

I ask again.

'Why does the rgs High Wycombe not have an association football team. Our national sport?

• edited March 27

I was the year below Matt Dawson but played in the same team.

• You may have a claim for father of the Gasroom with that vintage. Time to get the birth certificates out @micra!

• I ask again @bargepole

Why does the rgs not have an association football team. Our national sport?

• I can tell you Mr Bargepole

Every single hit and tackle when we won in 1996 was against people like you and your ilk.

Everything we did was a moral hit against you and your ilk

Good against evil..every hit when Wycombe beat the private school scumbags of Wellington College was an attack of everything you stand for. You and your ilk.

On that day you and your ilk were thoroughly destroyed.

And Wycombe won

• And it was a thorough humiliation of people of the rugby code. By skillful sportsmen of the association code.