Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Stevenage

Comments

• You need to have no “professional” keepers available. A professional keeper is deemed to have made five or more starts in Premier League, FA Cup or EFL Cup or equivalent in other countries. Ravizolli has made four career starts in said competitions.

• Apologies @frequentstander. You posted while I was laboriously tapping out my own post.

Regarding Tafazolli, I lost count of the numerous times @bluntphil said “Tafazolli heads clear” during the first half. Perhaps it was a case of mistaken identity!!

Sorry, Phil, that was below the belt.

• Until they scored we looked in control after that we really didn’t threaten and Max’s mad moment killed it off really.

I really thought young Kodua should have scored.

• Yep he’s a f f ker but he can work a game and a ref he even nailed the pre match interview full of false praise for us.

We had one of those.

• 1 shot on target today. Glad I didn’t go.

• We need to learn to win against scrapping teams. A team like we once were. We can play well against Peterborough and Oxford but look horrid against Stevenage and Cheltenham and Fleetwood etc.

We have the players. We need to make our superior skilled players can’t be stopped purely by endeavour and spoiling. Butcher, Sadlier, Leahey all looked average today as they were made to look average. I think sometimes we need to set up the team to win more and not lose less. Be more Gormania for me.

• This season can do one.

• edited February 24

I'd trust the sports scientists who know what they're talking about on that one. Wednesday night was a right slog on an incredibly heavy pitch - of course there were going to be changes today. People will go, 'But they played 17 games a week back in my day'. Yeah, well they shouldn't have done.

• Dreadful performance by Tafazolli today by the way. Lethargic, poor clearing headers, bullied by their centre forwards and leaving a ball for Max that was never, ever there to be left.

With 11 men, I think we get something from that game today. Part of me does actually want Stevenage to get promoted, so that we do not have to play them again any time soon. A truly vile football club.

• The truth is that yes pro players CAN play loads of games back to back, but obviously the quality drops.

It was a totally different game 40 years ago with the same 11 playing 83 games a season.

• The quality drops and the injury risk increases, and the latter is something that's meticulously measured these days.

• totally disagree , think defenders all played well , McCarthy c

would be so much better if he could cross , Low will defo play premiership football, he is pure class. Leahy must be pissed being asked to play LB , we do need a better all round GK , having a great shot stopper gers you so far...

• edited February 24

On comms JJ often said that the ball had a high bounce - I think this may also have contributed to Taff misjudging the ball so leaving Max in he wrong position to either properly challenge or have to pull out of it. He chose the later was was run into as much as taking their player out. But that’s always given as a foul and as it was outside the box a free kick and dismissal for DoGSO. Had it been inside the area and a penalty given he probably would not have been sent off

• Seen it now. Never a red. I expect that'll be rescinded straight away.

• Also totally disagree. Taffazoli was our best player followed by Low. Multiple big headers and clearances, your opinion must be based on the red card decision. They were both man mountains for us today.

• Really bright start today from a much changed team,but we didn't make the most of our chances and openings. Once they scored it turned into the usual turgid slog we so often get against Stevenage, not helped by the sending off of course.

We belatedly came back into the game towards the end and really should have had a penalty for the rugby tackle on Vokes.

Massive game now on Tuesday. Rested players to come back in. Imperative we avoid defeat.

• It was pretty bizarre to give that as a red.

Even odder that Max didn't even complain, when he usually complains at everything.

And even odder still that Big Phil and JJ, guys who have played in and watched 1000s of games kept on about it being a 3 game ban and even a 4 game if we appealed and didn't win!

• I think they assumed it was given for violent conduct as their player received what appeared to be a career ending tackle. In replay you can see it was an honest attempt to play the ball and the draft from max’s shin brought him down.

• Just seen the sending off. Laughable tbh. I don’t think Max made any contact with their player who went down writhing in agony, the cheating bastard.

• Just clocked it was the same ref who gave Barnsley their winner against us at Oakwell. What’s Max ever done to him?

• You’ve mentioned this bit of commentary a few times now, but obviously missed that this discussion was based on the fact that there were other players back so shouldn’t be a red for last man, therefore must have been for violent conduct. Violent conduct is a three match ban. Pretty sure they weren’t having that conversation just to annoy you.

• Maybe he held a grudge after having his dog taken off him and Max took it for a walk down at the dog rescue?

• Bit of a tricky one for the red.

When a defender fouls someone going through on goal, it’s clearly not a red if there’s other defenders able to get across and cover.

If the keeper comes out of the area, if they don’t bring the player down there’s a pretty high chance of a goal, even if 1-2 players are trying to cover.

Not sure if that’s enough to count as an ‘obvious goal-scoring opportunity’ though.

• My immediate thought was there’s cover. The replay is inconclusive as the defender is still a few metres away. It certainly wasn’t violent despite (shock) the acting from the striker. A yellow to me but I’m biased of course.

But if we are gonna talk shit ref decisions Roberts fouls Low off the ball enough for the assistant to flag and stop play. No booking harsh words. He does the same thing later, no booking harsh words. I don’t think Drysdale is biased just not good at his job. We got an acknowledgment of an error after the Barnsley fuck up. I wonder how many more he’s been responsible for.

• Hard to see what the red was for. Probably a foul, although Max tries to pull out of the challenge. Clearly not violent conduct and the covering defender means it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity. Yellow card at most I'd have thought.

Wonder if it's worth an appeal? Not a great performance from the ref today I thought. Would be interested to see the penalty appeal on Vokes late on. Looked quite blatant to me.

• Isn't Drysdale the one who got in trouble for squaring up to an Ipswich player the other season? He does seem to court controversy.

• I agree. At the time I thought it was a red card but having watched it back several times Max actually pulls out of the challenge and the referee is conned by the theatrical reaction of their player.

• Sorry it’s a red and Max has no complaints as he is sent off.

The ball is to high for Taff to head, he doesn’t duck out of a makeable header.

• Max was wrong to come charging out as he did but he made minimal contact with their player who made the most of it and fooled a referee who enjoys being in the spotlight.

• edited February 25