Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Stevenage

123457»

Comments

• I know there are better things to spend my money on and other things I could be doing with my time but Win lose or draw, I like going to the footy. I've seen some great games and poor games over the last ten years some great season finishes and some drab endings (even under the sainted Gaz and Dobbo) but like life sometimes things are good and sometimes things are bad. We're a League One team in League one with lots of other League One teams...this season is not a total disaster.

Yet.

• I'm genuinely surprised by the lack of upset by Max, Blooms or Gasroom posters about the dismissal of Max on Saturday. From behind the far goal it was impossible to see clearly. From the highlights it seems evident that Max is looking to use his body (not a raised foot) to block ball and player outside his box without using his hands and indeed at the last pulls out to avert direct contact. The forward actually evades the challenge, having failed to take control of the ball and to my eyes feigns injury as though from contact with Max of which I could see none, only from his falling to the ground, giving no cause for his arm flailing while prostrate. No evidence of violent play. Probably a foul, rather than obstruction, all the same and so a direct free kick and for me, probably a yellow. Amazed how most seem to shrug and suppose, as did the commentary team without the benefit of slow motion, a wipe out, a clear professional foul and then a red. Not my reading of it, and I'm not one to see everything through light and dark blue spectacles.

• edited February 26

Max probably didn't realise the 2 defenders were there. Blooms and have seen the replay when the did the interview.

But plenty on here were very doubtful about the red.

• I had no complaints at all from the away end, looked pretty clear cut. The TV pictures told a very different story though, Max was clearly trying to avoid making contact with the forward, there were covering defenders and the lad has absolutely milked what little if any contact there was.

I think it's touch and go as to whether the forward would have got the ball. It probably was a foul, the red card was harsh, but not necessarily wrong if the ref thought the lad would have got to the ball. As above, I reckon Max would have feared the worst as soon as the foul was given and may not have realised there were covering defenders. Blooms might not seen a replay when questioned.

I've not seen any word on the suspension. I assume it's 1 game? If so, I think we have to take it on the chin. If the ref sent him off for violent conduct, then I'm sure we'd appeal and be successful.

• Worth contrasting with red card v Carlisle keeper bringing down "behind you" Sam V earlier in season. Did he get a one-match ban?

• For handball outside the area, it surely must have been a one match ban.

• If indeed that is what the ref saw - or was it a tug on Sam's outstretched leg? Agree, no suggestion of violent conduct, but from memory there was also a defender back behind the keeper by the time Sam was preparing to take the ball round the prostrate keeper.

• Let’s not worry unduly about it.

• So Drysdale gave this last night

https://x.com/league1news22/status/1762587209100615894?s=46&t=1RBEO4WBqGcRsvgU2yU85Q

Yet didn’t give the foul on Vokes

Absolutely dreadful ref

• It's been deemed violent conduct so Max will miss next 2 games.

• It's been deemed violent conduct so Max will miss next 2 games.