Skip to content

Local Teams Football

Comments

• I don't see why not. They were denied promotion in 1993 to the Conference National, that was when the Isthmian Premier was step 2 of non league and looked very different to today's National South.

1  Chesham United                   42   30    8    4  104   34   98
       2  St Albans City                   42   28    9    5  103   50   93
       3  Enfield                          42   25    6   11   94   48   81
       4  Carshalton Athletic              42   22   10   10   96   56   76
       5  Sutton United                    42   18   14   10   74   57   68
       6  Grays Athletic                   42   18   11   13   61   64   65
       7  Stevenage Borough                42   18    8   16   62   60   62
       8  Harrow Borough                   42   16   14   12   59   60   62
       9  Hayes                            42   16   13   13   64   59   61
      10  Aylesbury United                 42   18    6   18   70   77   60
      11  Hendon                           42   12   18   12   52   54   54
      12  Basingstoke Town                 42   12   17   13   49   45   53
      13  Kingstonian                      42   14   10   18   59   58   52
      14  Dulwich Hamlet                   42   12   14   16   52   66   50
      15  Marlow                           42   12   11   19   72   73   47
      16  Wokingham Town                   42   11   13   18   62   81   46
      17  Bromley                          42   11   13   18   51   72   46
      18  Wivenhoe Town                    42   13    7   22   41   75   46
      19  Yeading                          42   11   12   19   58   66   45
      20  Staines Town                     42   10   13   19   59   77   43
      21  Windsor & Eton                   42    8    7   27   40   90   31
      22  Bognor Regis Town                42    5   10   27   46  106   25

• They also won the Berks and Bucks that year. They had a very decent side.

• Brings back some mixed memories.

Played in cup finals at Chesham, Holmer Green and Thame. Lost the first 2, won the final one.

• I was at a loose end last night so I went along to Wealdstone v Maidenhead United at Grosvenor Vale. I usually try and catch up with the Magpies at least a couple of times a season as I’m a bit of an admirer of what they’ve achieved down the years given their resources. I also love a bit of National League from time to time, takes me back to our days at that level. 

In absolutely awful weather conditions the two sides produced a surprisingly decent game for a slightly disappointing crowd that only just crept over the 1000 mark but included Stuart Pearce and Timmy Mallet - two somewhat contrasting public figures!

Maidenhead largely dominated, to begin with because they had the driving wind and rain behind them and then for the last hour because the Stones were down to 10 men. 

However, despite a seemingly endless amount of chances they only won by the odd goal in the end, scored by the best player on the pitch United’s Ashley Nathaniel-George. A kind of non-league Gareth McCleary who is seriously useful. 

It’s probably the best Maidenhead team that Devonshire has assembled since the side that won promotion to the National League and they now sit in the top half of the table just 8 points off the play-offs (although also only 7 points from the relegation places). Amazingly they were bottom of the table in October but have since won 7, drawn 5 and lost only 2. 

If they keep up that sort of form they could be genuine contenders come the end of the season. Imagine if we were in the same division as them next season!

They lack a decent centre-forward but the three behind of Nathaniel-George, academy graduate Reece Smith and the stylish Sam Barratt are really handy and wouldn’t look out of place in the EFL. Ex-Chairboy Will De Havilland was excellent in defence too. 

Wealdstone by contrast were poor, although they had the worst of the conditions and referees decisions (the sending off was a bit harsh). They tried to play early season possession based Bloomsball in conditions that were virtually impossible for that kind of football. Maidenhead playing later season Ainsworth style Bloomsball had far too much for them. 

• It's a bloody big playing surface tho! Always cramped up after refereeing on that pitch just because of it's size!

• Another 4-0 win for Chesham today, now 67 points from 29 games.

• Two more goals for Tarpey on Saturday, helping Marlow to a 3-0 win. Marlow have now won 6 in a row and scoring buckets of goals. Not sure they'll be able to catch top (7 points clear) but would take a disaster for them to not finish in the play off spots.

• FmGFmG
    edited February 19

Another win for Marlow (and goal for You Know Who) this weekend, this time against fellow playoff contenders Leatherhead.

Marlow up to second and host top of the league Chertsey Town tomorrow evening at 19:45. Would highly recommend it if anyone is at a loose end.

• For anyone interested....bit of a shambolic game at Marlow, 2 reds for the home team and floodlight failure caused a 30 minute delay to the second half. Marlow were holding on - thanks in part to some GA style "dark arts" - but Chertsey eventually got an 86th minute winner. Doesn't look like anyone will catch Chertsey now but Marlow well placed for the play offs.

• I see Nathan Minhas got his 14th goal of the season for Slough last night. He was banging them in for Beaconsfield before his move to Slough and he continues to be a massive goal threat.

• Flackwell Heath had a very important 2-0 win at leaders Rayners Lane yesterday. This tips the balance back in the Heathens' favour, after losing 3-1 to the Lane last month. Seven out of Flackwell's 12 remaining games are at home, as are the next four.

Combined Counties Premier North table.

Risborough can still make the play-offs. Their game at Wokingham yesterday was postponed.

Chalfont St Peter lost 3-2 at Burnham and have lost nine league games in a row, seven of those by one goal.

• @HolmerBlue, it feeds into the Isthmian and Southern Leagues.

For Southern, that would probably be the Central Division, which currently has Aylesbury United and Thame United.

For Isthmian, probably the South Central Division, which has Marlow and Uxbridge. The North Division is more easterly based.

• Hilltop should change their name to Ditch.

• Chesham United now 11 points clear with a game in hand.

• Great, thanks for that ! Can't keep up with the non league stuff as to who goes where etc, seems to change constantly to me. Though I'm probably wrong.

I keep telling myself I should take in some non league games, but never seem to get round to it. I actually know a couple of the Flackwell players quite well, so maybe ought to pop in there first.

• Southern Premier South

Form guide looks good.

Plymouth Parkway are probably going to avoid relegation, so Beaconsfield have to keep up their good recent form.

• Parkway with still 18 league games to play with just nine weekends left and the rain still falling.

• edited February 25

Or Hilltop Bottom. As in Pratt’s Bottom, a picturesque village in my home county of Kent.

• In Combined Counties Division One, our other local table topping team, Amersham Town, did not play yesterday. Neither did Holmer Green who have lost nine consecutive league games.

Penn & Tylers Green had an excellent 8-3 home win against third placed Yateley United yesterday, the third win in a row.

In spite of an injury and postponed matches, Jake Tabor continues to add to his goal tally for Amersham. 62 in 34 appearances in all games, 53 in 28 in the league. He has a total of 21 assists and 14 yellow cards.

• I support London Samurai Rovers now

• Oh my god, look at the badge!

• Seen them a few times, got some cracking players.

• Formed by the Japanese diaspora in London. That's cool.

• British Airways...they could really take off

• Bet Westside have a story to tell.