Skip to content

Local Teams Football

Comments

• He's struggling at Basingstoke. Only scored once in 12 appearances.

• Winslow United 4-2 Letchworth Garden City Eagles (HT 3-2).

After last night's very hard watch at Orient, I was looking for some entertainment and was not disappointed. It was 8th v 16th in the Spartan South Mids One, but the Eagles started on the front foot and were ahead after five minutes, the striker charging down a clearance and slotting past the keeper.

The Ploughmen equalised from a Harry Scott free kick on the edge of the area, but the Eagles regained the lead before Scott equalised again, with another free kick, slightly further away this time. Just before half-time, Scott completed his hat-trick with a near post shot on the angle.

After the break Winslow added a fourth with a well placed Jack Rowe shot from 10 yards, and remained in control, but Letchworth had a penalty saved 10 minutes from time, the keeper diving to his right to get both hands on the ball.

97 spectators enjoyed the game, played on a good surface in spite of recent rain.

Goal videos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NuzBHYbNk9CKmyvy9

• Great background on Tabor, who bagged 5 against Spartans to take his tally to 46 goals from 27 appearances (none of them from the penalty spot!). He’s also contributed 19 assists so far this term and interestingly has 12 yellow cards to his name. Certainly a livewire.

Only posting for posterity in a relevant thread. As said, the jump from Step 6 to League One would be huge but I wonder if the hierarchy saw anything in him and whether he’s been invited to the odd training session…seems like the player himself isn’t interested in making a leap for the sake of it up a couple of rungs.

• Now corrected to 47 goals and 21 assists on the Combined Counties site, they initially had him down for four goals yesterday. League only is 38 goals from 22 appearances, in Amersham's total of 97 goals in 24 league games. Tabor doesn't score every game, of course, as happened the previous Saturday in the 4-1 win at Langley, when he was substituted on 68 minutes.

Meanwhile, Richard Kone has not appeared for Athletic Newham since his red card on 25th November.

• Another hat-trick for Jake Tabor today, in Amersham's 4-1 home win against Westside. That takes him to 50 goals in 28 games in all competitions, 41 in 23 league games. Amersham have scored 101 league goals in 25 games.

• Crikey.

• (Titanic sinks moment) I was going to say we must at least be keeping tabs on him, but I just saw we had him on trial in November.

• Four goals for Jake Tabor in Amersham's 5-0 win at bottom team Hillingdon Borough yesterday. That is his third hat-trick in a row (12 goals in the three games), four in his last five games. His season's total is now 55 goals in 29 games.

• That's a serious amount of goals at any level !

Get him in the development squad, and see if he can do it at a few steps higher

• Dave Tarpey scored a hattrick for Marlow yesterday

• Ashford Town vs Badshot Lea…a local referee carried out a pitch inspection at 11am and deemed the surface playable. 2pm, the match official arrives and deems it unplayable. Match postponed. I live a stones throw away and it’s been 5 degrees all morning.

• I went to Beaconsfield Town’s game against Salisbury who are second in the table and captained by Sido Jombati. Finished 0-0.

• I was there too. Very decent watch considering it was a 0-0. Salisbury will wonder how they didn’t score having scraped the woodwork on numerous occasions but the home side could’ve nicked it themselves. Sido marshalled his team well in a competitive contest that the ref had to keep a handle on, especially in the first half. Overall, it’s a result that does Chesham a big favour and a valuable point for the relegation threatened hosts.

Good to see better support for Beaconsfield and even a bit of atmosphere.

• Attendance a healthy 260. Previous home game drew 120 on a Saturday for Swindon Supermarine. Before that 486 for Chesham United on Boxing Day, biggest gate of the season.

• Agreed about Sido, I’m sure he could still play at a higher level. Do you know the name of the Beaconsfield defender (number 6) who I thought was excellent.

• How did the Beaconsfield keeper play? Young lad on loan from Reading I think. Played superbly v Chesham on Boxing Day (if he's still there and playing)

• Jacques Kpohomough was the Beaconsfield 6 and Matt Rowley the on-loan goalie had a solid enough game. Both sides tried to build from the back with Salisbury doing most of the pressing while Beaconsfield looked to hit them on the break, which made for a really interesting game. I often think that particular division/step 3 is a bit of a sweet spot in non-league in terms of value for money. A £10 entry today for a very good game. You can pay £6-£8 at Steps 4-7 and see some utter dross but this was far from it, two technical sides going at it on a good artificial pitch.

• I agree and the lady at the turnstile made my day by charging me the adult admission price rather than the cheaper OAP rate. I was too pleased to point out her mistake!

• I understand that we used the Beaconsfield pitch to train on in the week as Marlow Road was frozen.

Great facility at Beaconsfield and I always think we should have a closer relationship with Beaconsfield Town.

• Yes, we seem to be building a few local relationships. Burnham (aided by the Women’s team playing there) and Beaconsfield.

I remember going to a PSF at Holloways Park back in 2004. I think Clint Easton made his ‘debut’ or was a trialist we went onto sign. The pitch was a cabbage patch then but everything about the club has come on since and they’re also now one of the leading lights on the South Bucks youth football scene, alongside the likes of Flackwell, Marlow etc. Can’t hurt to keep tabs on what’s going on in your own backyard.

• A surprisingly good standard of football at Beaconsfield, played at a furious pace, very physical but no little amount of skill in view.

• A few years ago the ticket booth operator at AP made by day (on one of my few visits to the ground) by querying whether I had to pay the full adult price or was entitled to the young person discount.

it was only after I entered the ground when it dawned on me that they had actually been checking whether I was entitled to the over 60s discount.

my evening was well and truly spoilt…..

• I wonder if the first two letters are silent.

• I didn’t hear his name announced but I presume the ending is pronounced like McDonough which is surely enough ammunition to prohibit such a signing.

• Ah, red card Roy who mentioned me in disparaging terms in his autobiography. The feelings were entirely mutual!

• Away from The Great WWFC Depression, check out this peculiar interview with Amersham Town and local football wunderkind, Jake Tabor. I can’t tell if his dad really is/was Yaya Toure’s best mate, or if this is an elaborate ruse. Those in the know might be able to confirm. A Man City youth pedigree may explain his goal scoring exploits though:

https://combinedcounties.pitchero.com/knowing-me-knowingjake-tabor-79922

• Just the one goal for Jake Tabor yesterday, the winning goal as Amersham beat Rising Ballers Kensington 3-2 at home, to maintain their 16 point lead at the top. 56 goals from 30 in all games now for Tabor, 47 from 25 in the league.

• Some healthy local crowds yesterday, and generally on the up for these clubs.

Chesham United 3-0 Walton & Hersham - 829

Beaconsfield Town 3-0 Bracknell Town - 238

Flackwell Heath 1-3 Rayners Lane - 407 (2nd v 1st)

Maidenhead United 2-1 Solihull Moors - 1326

Slightly further afield.

Berkhamsted 0-3 Royston Town - 426 (season high)

St Albans City 1-1 Yeovil Town - 2491

Oxford City 1-0 Ebbsfleet United - 1157 (used to be 200-300 not that long ago).