Skip to content

Local Teams Football

Comments

• Only a fiver to get in at Flackwell Heath too for this game, bargain.

As well as Tuesday's game at Holmer Green, they also have an FA Youth Cup game against Chalfont St Peter on Thursday. Then on Friday I've got Uxbridge v Sevenoaks in the FA Trophy at Slough. Then further afield, East Cowes Victoria v Alresford Town in the Wessex League.

• Your website is fantastic. It'll be my reference point for all things footy grounds. I must point out one thing though. Your summary on Holmer Green still has Fern and Phil married.

• Potential for a big crowd at Flackwell tomorrow? Don't think there's many/any games of an acceptable standard taking place on Wednesday night during an international break?

• Flackwell Heath succumbed to a 2-1 defeat in the re-arranged game. CCL Prem South side Farnham Town will now host Chesham United in the next round. The crowd was 451 which is very respectable.

• Fairly even game between two sides in similar positions in the north and south divisions and a very decent turnout for the Heathens.

My first visit for many years and will probably go back when Wycombe are not playing or playing a distance away.

• On the run today so excuse any omissions but for those of you interested in sampling some local football while the Chairboys are out of action…

All 3pm KO unless otherwise stated

Beaconsfield Town v Basingstoke Town (card only, no cash)

Flackwell Heath v Broadfields United

Penn & Tylers Green Reserves v Hurst FC (2pm)

Holyport v Chalfont St. Peter

Risborough Rangers v Bedfont Sports

Aylesbury United v Bedford Town (at The Meadow, Chesham)

Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Potton United

Windsor & Eton v Reading YMCA (2pm)

• Berkhamsted v Long Eaton Utd for me in the Southern League Premier Division Central.

• Keith Ryan is a coach at Flackwell Heath. I went to the abandoned game. One of the FH players , whose father is the manager, collapsed suffering from an asthma attack. His brother was also in the FH team. Very distressing for everyone. The incident happened about 10 minutes into the 2nd half with FH trailing 1-2, but were pushing for the equaliser at the time. I was following the Wycombe game online and that match had finished about the same time the ambulance arrived with the player on the pitch for all that time.

Unfortunately I couldn’t make the rearranged game.

The FH player is back home and recovered now.

• Buckingham now have a fine club for the town with the merger of Athletic and United and they serve Rebellion in the bar.

• Garry Birtles is ex-Long Eaton and won two European Cups

• Not a local game but a mention for Chesham United's 3-1 win at Merthyr Town yesterday, in the Southern Premier South. Ricardo German scored a hat-trick, in front of 1,296. Both teams had won six out of six going into the game.

• Ricardo German has already hit two hatricks this season. Could he be "the player"!

• Sign him up

• I went to see Flackwell Heath (Keith Ryan coaches there) who comfortably beat leaders Broadfields Utd 4-0 to move up to fourth in the Combined Counties League. FH played very well in stifling heat and should have won by a greater margin.

• Take it Broadfields weren't up to much? Surprised to see them start well

• They were rather ill disciplined, collected several yellow cards and also a red for mouthing off at the referee. I was surprised they were leading the table because FH looked much the better team and missed several chances to score even more goals.

• Ricardo already has his showreel out of his ten goals, and it's not October yet. Four are penalties but he does make some of them.

https://x.com/RicardoDGerman/status/1706979083563708777?t=KykC6hcWAP4xPHsYyF5OTw&s=09

• edited October 2023

Quick check on what's happening on the local scene...

The draw for the FAC4QR has been made with three familiar names in with a shout of reaching the First Round Proper:

Weston-Super-Mare v Maidenhead United

Braintree Town v Chesham United

Ebbsfleet United v Salisbury/Slough Town

Ties to be played on Saturday 14 October.

⚽️ National League

Maidenhead secured a creditable draw against Chesterfield last time out but find themselves in the National League drop zone and could be in for a long season. Neighbours Slough Town are now unbeaten in three in the National League South following a fairly disastrous start to the season and Scott Davies' side sit 19th after 10 games.

⚽️ Southern League

As well as enjoying their cup exploits, Chesham are flying high in the Southern Prem South. Having won their opening seven games they've since lost one and drawn one to be knocked off top by Gosport, albeit the Generals have a game in hand. Beaconsfield Town couldn't buy a win earlier in the campaign but have now won three on the spin to climb to 16th.

In the league below, Aylesbury United sit third from bottom in the Southern Prem Div 1 Central having lost 7 of their last 8 in league and cup. Their cross-town rivals, Aylesbury Vale Dynamoes, aren't pulling up many trees either in the Spartan South Mids Prem. Their latest 1-1 draw at bottom side Sawbridgeworth Town did little to better their own lowly league position.

⚽️ Combined Counties League

The competitive Combined Counties Prem North is an interesting league to keep an eye on. Unbeaten Flackwell Heath sit third in the early table, five points off top but with three games in hand on leaders Rayners Lane. Burnham are stalking the play-off places while Chalfont St. Peter are starting to put some results together and sit in mid-table alongside Risborough Rangers.

Further down the pyramid, Amersham Town are now five points clear at the top of the CCL D1 following a 3-1 win over Molesey. Langley picked up a point at Eversley & California while Windsor were thrashed 7-1 at home to Bedfont. And finally, Keith Scott's first match in charge of Holmer Green ended in a 3-0 derby day defeat to Penn & Tylers Green. The latter occupy a mid-table berth while the Greens are marooned at the bottle of the table and will need a massive turnaround to avoid the ignominy of another relegation.

I could go on to Steps 7 and below but will leave it there! I know this is very South Bucks heavy and a few of you watch teams further north so please jump in.

• My local side are Ashford Town. It was a nice surprise to walk past on Saturday and hear a sizeable Chertsey crowd singing loud and proud - I actually heard them over the commentary of our game, which was playing in my earphones. It certainly had that derby atmosphere.

It’s a far cry from when I used to watch them. Back in the day, it was just crazy Eddie who would sing and nobody else.

• There's been a few recent threads covering local sides in the FA Cup and B&B etc but here's a quick monthly round-up of some of the action elsewhere...

⚽️ National League

Maidenhead United continue to struggle at the bottom end of the National League with their most recent 3-2 defeat to Barnet meaning they've gone 12 league games without a win.

Not really local but Oxford City join the Magpies in the relegation zone. They fielded three ex-Wanderers (Andre Burley, Josh Parker, Tafari Moore) in the side that lost 3-1 away at Bromley. Parker got the consolation from the penalty spot.

In the NL South, Slough Town's form has picked up slightly but they sit in 21st position having just recorded successive 0-0 draws.

⚽️ Southern League

Chesham United sit third in the Southern Prem South, three points behind leaders Gosport but with two games in hand. Ricardo German scored another hat-trick as The Generals thumped Poole Town 5-2 on their travels. In the same division, Scott Rendell netted a hat-trick for AFC Totton and Salisbury's top scorer Sido Jombati bagged a brace in his side's 2-1 win at Didcot...

Beaconsfield Town's recent resurgence was checked by a 1-0 loss away at Walton & Hersham.

In the Southern Div 1 Central, Aylesbury United have moved out of the relegation zone but a 2-3 reverse at home to Hadley proved a damp squib for The Ducks.

⚽️ Spartan South Mids

Aylesbury Vale Dynamoes' game against Colney Heath fell victim to the weather. The Moes sit 15th/20 having played 12 games. North Bucks side Milton Keynes Irish are looking pretty handy in third.

⚽️ Isthmian League

Marlow sit 5th in the Isthmian South Central having played 8 games, two less than most of their counterparts. 13-goal man Dawid Rogalski added to his tally in a 3-1 win at Ashford Town. Interestingly, ex-Premier League player Tom Soares is now starring at Oak Tree Road at the ripe age of 37.

In the CCL Prem North, Flackwell Heath are third but they have two games in hand on money bags Rayners Lane at the top of the table. Their much-anticipated home game against the Lane was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

But elsewhere, Risborough Rangers drew 2-2 with Wokingham & Emmbrook while Burnham progressed in the FA Vase with a 3-2 win against 'Stormzy's AFC Croydon Athletic'.

That's all for now. Until next time...

• Amazing update @williwycombe

I'm surprised that Rayners Lane was called off, I thought they had a 3/4G pitch?

• Been a while since I've posted an update and much has happened since late October! Here's a quick rundown of what's been going on locally as we head towards Christmas.

⚽️ National League

Maidenhead United sit second in the National League form table, only behind league leaders Chesterfield. The Magpies are flying high in 12th having won five of their last seven, drawing the other two.

Ex-Wanderer Josh Parker has nine league goals for the season for Oxford City, who remain in the relegation spots but remain in touch with those above them.

In the heavily congested NL South, old rivals Slough Town are still teetering on the edge but at the time of writing they sit outside the relegation zone on goal difference (they play Hemel this midweek). Cup exploits etc mean the Rebels have four games in hand on Eastbourne Borough below them.

⚽️ Southern League

Just as Chesham United seem like they're going to wrestle control of the SL Prem South they throw in a stinker. Their recent 4-0 defeat at Plymouth Parkway came as the Generals arrived super late for kick-off. I gather from 'X' that the team decided to travel by train and got in a spot of bother but I may have missed something! Our South Bucks friends are now three points behind Salisbury but well inside the play-offs and will no doubt fight hard for that prized top spot in a bid to avoid more end-of-season heartache.

Beaconsfield Town lie in 16th but they're one of a clutch of sides that could get dragged towards the trap door if they don't manage to find some consistency. Some might argue that an average gate of 173 (the lowest in the division) means they're already punching above their weight. There's certainly no lack of fight, as shown in their recent 3-3 draw with Hungerford.

In the league below, Aylesbury United are well clear of the only relegation spot but I'm sure Ducks fans would want to achieve more than simply finishing above neighbours Thame United this season. A 3-2 win over Welwyn GC last time out provided some excitement.

⚽️ Spartan South Mids

Milton Keynes Irish head the Bucks contingent in the SSM Prem having lost just once in the league. They'll have work to do to reel in Real Bedford above them though. Aylesbury Vale Dynamoes are plodding along in 14th with their 5-2 defeat at London Lions further denting their goal difference.

⚽️ Isthmian League

Marlow still occupy the final play-off position in the Isthmian South Central, six points above nearest rivals, Uxbridge, and with three games in hand. A healthy average attendance of 185 shows the locals are becoming more interested in a free-scoring team that's plundered 41 goals in 14 league games so far.

Moving down to Step 5 and Flackwell Heath remain hot on the heels of Rayners Lane in the CCL Prem North. The Heathens (2nd) are now five points behind their counterparts from Harrow but have two games in hand. Albeit, a draw at North Greenford last time out did not help their cause. Speaking of attendances, Flackwell top the divisional standings on that metric with an average of 208 spectators, about 60-odd clear of Reading City. Anyone who follows the club on social media can see the commendable efforts they put in to draw crowds and engage with fans.

Chalfont St. Peter also deserve a mention. Having endured a torrid last few seasons the Saints are rebuilding with youth. 17-year-old Henry Dudley became the youngest ever player to captain the club in a 2-2 draw at home to Virginia Water. That result puts Chalfont in 13th, well clear of the bottom dwellers. Risborough Rangers and Burnham are sniffing around the play-off spots.

A quick glance at Step 6 will show you that the misery continues for Holmer Green in the CCL Div One while the joy is unabated for Amersham Town. The latter thrashed the former 8-0 (EIGHT) last Saturday at Spratleys Meadow. Wanderers triallist Jake Tabor bagged a hat-trick and Richard Pacquette (yep) was also amongst the goalscorers. Amersham enjoy a 16-point lead at the top of the table with the Greens five points adrift of safety. Penn & Tylers Green are comfortably mid-table.

Suffice to say, loads of local football on over the Christmas period if you can't watch the Chairboys. Football web pages .co.uk is a good site to check out for a cursory look but make sure you get info from official club feeds before travelling!

Merry Christmas to all.

• More on Jake Tabor (better to keep it on this thread than "Other Football"). Questions raised by  @Forest_Blue and @Theatre_of_Chairs in that original thread are, perhaps, answered by the Amersham Town manager in this Non-League Football Paper article in October. 

https://gb.readly.com/magazines/the-non-league-football-paper/2023-10-08/652222a1d90ff8cb102d4383

I was curious about Jake's previous season stats and these are his totals, from my best efforts to round them up. Starts+Subs/Goals (Step) 

2019-20 - Sarratt - 21/0 (7) 

2020-21 - Sarratt - 2+1/0 (7) 

2020-21 - Berkhamsted Comrades - 1/1 (7) 

2021-22 - Berkhamsted - 4+8/3 (4) 

2021-22 - Crawley Green 5+2/3 (5) 

2021-22 - Oxhey Jets - 20+2/10 (5) 

2022-23 - Harpenden Town - 7+1/3 (5) 

2022-23 - Northwood ??? (4) 

2022-23 - Leighton Town - 4+3/2 (5)

2022-23 - Rayners Lane - 24/35 (6)

2023-24 - Amersham Town - 25/42 (6) 

I couldn't find an archive of appearances for Northwood but he may not have played for them, as he was dual-registered with Rayners Lane. We can see that his extraordinary scoring rate started last season at Rayners Lane.

When he scored his first goal on Saturday against Holmer Green, he ran over to someone standing behind the goal for a hug. I got the impression that he loves playing football but being happy at a club is really important, even if that means playing at a level below his ability. He has a business which is doing well, so that also makes football more of a hobby.

He has a very slight build and is about 5' 9" in height. He reminded me a bit of Tony Horseman, unassuming, unshowy, goes under the radar but gets into free space in the box, anticipates passes and, of course, finishes well. He also makes his own chances.

If anyone is interested, Amersham are at home to Spartans Youth in the league, on Saturday 30th December. Note that kick-off is 2pm, at Spratley's Meadow.

• Thanks Steve, really interesting - 77 goals in his last 49 games. A mind-boggling scoring rate.

Also hell of a step up to League One from Step 6. Would be fascinating to know how he got on when he played for the development team. There’s been two recent braces from unnamed trialists……I wonder.

• Fascinating stats, @Steve_Peart. Forgive me if you’ve already mentioned his age. If he’s only 19 or 20 he could become a serious prospect at our level in the near future but you mentioned his successful business so I assume (perhaps unreasonably) that he is a bit older.

• edited December 2023

@micra, the article mentioned his business being successful but we don't know what that is. I was unable to find his birth date but the Southern League site has him as 20 years old in 2021-22, but his manager said he was 20 now in the article.

I've just realised that the link doesn't display the full article, as it did when I viewed it originally, needing a subscription now. I will try and get the full quotes from the manager.

• These are screenshots of the Non-League Football Paper article by Matthew Nash.

• edited December 2023

Jake Tabor will be 21 next month.

His successful business was dissolved in the summer and was listed at Companies House as being in the field of property and advertising.

His parents have a company involved in property too. Interestingly both are/were listed in Vicarage Rd, Watford at the parents shop next to Watfords FC’s ground.

• I've seen Hashii play, very talented for the level he plays at.