Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wigan

1101112131416»

Comments

• It was great to see the family all there last night, @ryan_w_kirkby2 and I'm glad you all enjoyed it in spite of the late winner for the Latics.

• @Chairboy7895 fair play to you, although as a long term supporter / sufferer I’ll just add that if it wasn’t for blind loyalty and the social side of going to matches, 99% of football supporters would’ve packed it in years ago.

The crap just makes the good times better. Just remember to enjoy them when they come (which they will).

• edited January 24

Most fans believe their team and the way they play is mainly crap most of the time (despite being the best you've ever seen) and football is mainly about moaning into a pint (or on a fan forum) don't they?

(except for when a past manager they hated at the time was in place 'At least under.....we gave it a go!')

There were a lot of unhappy people on here despite promotions and being in the Championship.

• I think that answers the question of whether it was the latest goal we ourselves have conceded then!

• edited January 24

Calling Kone’s chance, fairly late on, at 0-0, which was central and yards out the chance of the game is nonsense?

Kone will do well to get a better chance than that any time soon.

Some of your other stuff makes more sense.

• We're all pissed off about our form, but Blooms hasn't come close to wilfully laying waste to our club in the manner that utter shyster did. Not just ruining Martin O'Neill's masterpiece, but denigrating everyone and everything at the club as 'non-league', tearing it all up and replacing it with dispiriting negative tripe. Oh, and that stripy, utter abomination of a kit. There is a special circle in my footballing hell for that utter pustule.

• Though back to the matter in hand, keeping Bloomfield in only makes sense if we bring in reinforcements, which surely must come after the clear out that has begun since the start of the transfer window. If we weren't in "back him or sack him" territory a month ago, we definitely are now. The current squad, for all the talents of individual players, does not get close to the sum of the parts. I always felt that we don't have the players to play the way Bloomfield is trying to get them to play, and if he won't budge on that then surely either we get in players that can execute the tactics or we ex... sorry part company with the manager.

• Definitely. Even if the playing record might be worse there's absolutely zero comparison aside from that. In fact it couldn't be more different.

I'm still wondering how on earth Smith genuinely believed he was a "flash" London bloke. When on one video he sat there unshaven, looking like he'd finished a 4 week bender and slurred some half assed nonsense into the camera.

A horrible change from O Neill's superb contributions to the end of season videos.

• edited January 24

Considering the bounce in the pitch, the strength of wind, the ricochet in the box?

Their player had far more time to line up their shot. The ball wasn’t bouncing. It was a much more routine scoring opportunity.

A supercomputer might have called Kone’s chance the higher xG opportunity, especially as he had two bites at the apple, but it can’t factor in the environmental impact and the speed of the ball in the penalty box.

Their chance was more clear cut in my opinion, but it’s not exactly black and white. I can see why you might disagree.

• I can't really remember their chance to be honest, but Kone's chance is about as good as he'll get in league 1, so i can certainly understand Bloomfield being gutted it was missed at 0-0, with maybe 15 mins left.

• Kone's was fairly close to a sitter, a chance you'd expect to hit the back of the net 75% of the time and up (in my completely scientific opinion) whereas the Wigan chance was 50-50 at best, I would think.

I am hopeful about Kone, and the fact he actually anticipated that position was a good sign, but it was a head in hands moment, assisted by a good save from the goalkeeper.

• It was a really good save by the keeper. I think we're being a little harsh on Kone with that chance.

• I do think he will come good, and there is a lot to be excited about. It is just a strange world when Blooms is responsible for our lack of goals, but none of the forwards are!

• We had the best chances of the game, Sadlier deflected offside goal, Kone double chance and we were more on the front foot 2nd half than they were.

The conditions were difficult but we had battled well and the subs on this occasion didn't lead to us being camped out for the last 20 on our own 6 yard line.

We've now had two World Class finishes in a row to take points away from us. It's hugely frustrating.

Potts was an enforced change but really don’t understand why JJ didn’t come on and Leahy into midfield. Although Leahy was also struggling with a knock.

they say you make your own luck, hopefully we will be making some soon.

• The most hated 'man' in the 140 year history of Wycombe Wanderers. I can still feel the bile rising in my throat.

• Cambridge fans laughing at us getting Lyle Taylor match fit and then kicking him to the curb. We really do seem snakebitten!

• "I was told by someone close to the running of the club that we'd be relegated unless I took urgent action"

(slightly paraphrased).

Unbelievable nonsense for a team who'd just missed the playoffs and were on the crest of a wave still.

"I genuinely believed I was doing well".

As we drew 1-1 yet another home game

He tried to take credit for creating the youth team too didn't he?