Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wigan

Comments

• edited January 23

I am aware. I am just trying to place what is happening in the wider context of "we have gone from a very experienced manager who built the club in his own image to a rookie who is basically learning on the job."

If we were awful for 90, sure, I would want MB sacked - but we are minutes away each time. If we clean up how we see games out, we would be talking about decent performances.

I also think our expectations are too high - a few years back we had only finished top 10 once, under O'Neill, and now it is a birthright. Traditionally, Wycombe are a lower L1 club or sometimes upper L2 - a friend says "League 1.5 club". We may see our own players and think our squad is amazing (I don't), but I somehow doubt we are anywhere near the squads of Portsmouth, Barnsley, Bolton, Peterborough, Derby, Blackpool, Oxford and Bristol Rovers. So our "par", even with a decent-ish squad, is probably 9th-12th, which is where we would be but for some poor injury times.

• edited January 23

I wonder what tonight's "and that's the real quiz" will be from tonight's post-match interview?

xG?

touches in the opposition half/penalty area?

• Hopefully some accountability for once. “Sorry to the fans that travelled and thank you so much for sticking by us”

• "We didn't anticipate playing for 120 minutes, we were all spent after 110. The stoppage for the change of ref really disrupted our rhythm".

• As long as Bloomfield ditches his ultra defensive tactics and plays a brand of attacking football we will beat Fleetwood comfortably. They are a very poor team with a negative goal difference of 25 and more or less already guaranteed to go down.

• We have definitely had some decisions go against us lately however in a number of those games, we should have been out of sight - one decision shouldn’t have cost us. We are not clinical enough.

• Can you show real commitment and also stop coming on here until Bloomfield has gone @Blueword ?

• If Bloomfield is done I will be interested to see who comes in to save the day.

• I’m desperately searching around for a reason to keep backing Matt. It’s just not coming to me any more. The ‘it’ll be alright’ one just doesn’t hold up any more. The trap door is open and beckoning to us. Even if we’d held on for a point, it wouldn’t excuse the almost total lack of a goal threat. The club needs a convincing win and performance on Saturday, or the momentum will be fully against us.

• Back 5 with Chem at right wing back and KVY at left wing back should do it

• We are going through one of those occasional “ridiculous” phases at the moment and I am still not quite at the MB has to go stage.

However, we are now caught in that spiral of losing confidence and each set back like the last two matches only add to the nerves and increase the likelihood of us making and repeating mistakes.

it also has to be remembered that there is also the reverse effect on our opponents. They must all now be of the mindset that if they are within a goal or two (or even three almost in Bristol Rovers case) of us with 10 minutes or so of the game left they have every chance of getting a result against us.

Thats a difficult rut to get out of, but doing so, and fairly quickly, (or not) will, I think, dictate MBs managerial future.

Engage with your inner masochist (or @trevor) and enjoy. The alternatives of anger or despair (both currently justifiable emotions) are less good for your soul and health.

• tl;dr beat Fleetwood and we're fine

• Our issues are all in attack aside from 5 ATB late in games.

I know folks will say that is Blooms' responsibility, but when you take a look at what he has at his disposal, I am not entirely sure where the goals are supposed to be coming from. I am almost in the 'Forino as a 9' camp!

• It’s clear from today that the answer isn’t Kone (at least not yet.)

• Matt could take us down to the NL and he still wouldn’t be as bad as that c unt.

• I'm just glad Wigan did not opt for fireworks after the game. That might have gone badly...

• It was a touch too windy for fireworks

• 19 conceded in the first 75 minutes, 17 conceded from 75 minutes on!

• That would be a long journey home for the lads tonight. And I guess Pete Couhig is sitting up front alongside Blooms…and neither of them will be happy.

Beyond Scowen coming back, where is the upside? How are we going to turn this dreadful run around?

As it stands, there are no more new players coming into the building, so Blooms had better start to get a tune out of this lot PDQ.

Vokes and GMac must be so pissed off…they have played at the top level, this is one of their final seasons in professional football and it’s a dogs’ dinner.

• Supported by his dad ‘Confident Kev’ as coach and tactician😬

• edited January 23

11 of our last 13 league games have been 0-0, 0-1 or 1-1. The exceptions were 1-2 to Reading and the wild and wooly 3-2 over Bristol Rovers when four goals were scored while we had ten on the pitch.

We are a strong defensive team with an anemic attack and an achilles heel of panicking at the very end of games.

• Vokes and GMac must be so pissed off…

And so they should be, but as seasoned professionals they ought to be helping Matt galvanise the team into better performances. A few goals from each wouldn't be sent away either.

• edited January 23

“We are a strong defensive team with an anemic attack and an achilles heel of panicking at the very end of games.”

That’s one for the social media guys to boost the crowd for Saturday’s game!

• True - if we could score two goals in a game we would have a LOT of wins.