Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Wigan

Comments

• On paper this is the best squad we have had ever in the 25+ years I've been supporting..... somethings not right. The management are not getting the best out of the players we have

• Loose Saturday and I think that’s it. A game where once again the parts are less than the whole. The players are not organised. They are not set up to defend or attack set pieces. This management team’s record has to be judged on results like any other and they are not up to it. I wish it were different.

• edited January 23

Thought all this too. Tbf though, Chem barely moved to try and get on the end of that pass

• A guy with zero management experience backed by a guy without any coaching experience.

Could be magical.

• not a chance ....either GA or Williamson , but Rob won't sack Blooms.....people will stop going to AP, im done until Blooms has gone ....he plays crap football also...zero positives.

• The year is 2027 and Bloomfield is readying a sub to go to 5 at the back to protect a precious away point against fellow relegation strugglers Oxford City in the National League South

• edited January 23

I still think we should stick with Blooms. There is also an element of ridiculousness to this whole thing that is unsustainable, like we are trying to outdo ourselves in how we concede in injury time, and surely we just reached a crescendo! We are actually a decent team for the first 85. I feel really sorry for our defence, who have been routinely imperious until the late panics.

Let's go win on Saturday and put it all behind us. Blooms in.

• Disappointing result, awful game but didn't deserve to lose that.

Don't want to come for a new signing but Kone has lots to learn when we haven't got the ball, seen Grimmer and Leahy going ballistic at him and that was before he got skinned for the goal.

Also we had some bellends In the away end.

• No way we’re getting Williamson.

• It's quite a step down from our best squads.

We look to be missing quite a lot in attack and We've had a better keeper, centre back and full backs in fairly recent memory.

Arguably Scowen and Potts is our best league quality duo though.

• How many times do we say "let's go win on Saturday and put this all behind us"? We've got 1 win in 16 and a 25% win record over approx. 50 games in charge. There is absolutely no evidence that Bloomfield is up to the job.

• The only entertaining thing about tonight was scrolling through this full thread after the final whistle and reading all those black-humoured posts from 60 minutes about conceding in the last minute of extended injury time, knowing how true that would turn out to be.

We seem to find ourselves with a midfield crisis. Forget swapping Potts with Forino - which is bad enough - but the fact that Taylor dropped down into central midfield for 20 mins when we brought on Kone and Kodua and went 433 was worse. Why wasn't Young on the bench? Why have we brought in wide attackers but not strengthened in the middle? In fact, lost a player in Breckin. If we're going to keep Leahy at left back then we only have Scowen, Potts and Wheeler as options in the middle. That's not enough.

Aligned to that - why are we now purely playing long ball? We have a keeper who struggles with distribution, playing in windy conditions where it would be difficult for everyone to punt it long. Why won't Bloomfield play on the deck any more? It's good he's lost confidence in 532 but he doesn't have to throw the good aspects out with the bad.

• I can’t get this argument. In my book, on paper, it is a long way from being so.

• Potts looked like he had cramp so imagine he will be fine if so.

• edited January 23

If I hear Matt complain about time added on and not sure where it’s come from again, like he did against Lincoln last week, I’m literally going to lose my shit - more so than I have don’t on here previously. I bit my tongue massively when I heard those comments post match

What happened to the days of Bayo et all taking pride in defending our box all day long. It’s the basics ffs and we can’t do it. Matt was part of that squad.

• LX1LX1
    edited January 23
  • Blooms must feel snakebitten:

1. Portsmouth 1-2: Ref misses foul on Max last kick of the game.
    2. Potts gets injured right when we are playing well.
    3. Oxford get a dodgy injury time penalty.
    4. Max literally drops a fine point at Oakwell in injury time - and then we get a PGMOL apology.
    5. Port Vale equalize in injury time after we just can't put them away.
    6. Burton's goalkeeper turns into Allison to deny us all three points.
    7. Lincoln equalize with the last kick of the game after Phillips pointlessly fouls their keepers miles from the goal.
    8. Wigan win in the 120th minute after a throw-in for us was missed.

That's 11 points right there, plus whatever Potts' injury cost us, and though you can blame Blooms for a lot, I still think his management has been good enough for around 40 points and coasting home in midtable.

• Blooms NOT up to the job, so what if we win on Saturday to the worst team in league 1 (just because they are bottom). hate to say this but hope we don't win if it means The end of.his WW management stint

• So who would you have put on the bench?

Phillips - runs around like a headless chicken when he comes in as sub (also gave away the free kick from which Lincoln scored, remember).

KVY - less than convincing, certainly not a holding midfielder.

Bringing on Fourino should have been the right call, if the defense does it's job at the throw and then the free kick.

I agree MB can be criticised for much, just not naming Fourino - or bringing him on when Potts was injured.

• It's miles off for me.

We've had Mawson levels above any defender we have now. Stewart probably better more consistent form too.

JJ at left back, Bayo up front, Uche too, better versions of McCleary, Grimmer McCarthy.

We've had Mehmeti, Stockdale.

I think it is literally the Scowen, Potts double that can hold their own against most other centre mids we've had.

• It’s official. After tonight, we are in a relegation fight. It just got real. Something needs to change now or we are going to get sucked into the twilight zone.

• Sorry Shev, you're a superb poster on here but I can't agree with this at all. The faith that we are showing in Bloomfield is going to relegate us.

• Excuses excuses excuses. Weak mentality. Weak leadership on pitch. Weak leadership off pitch.

• Fair enough - to each their own. I just think we have had circus-levels of ridiculous things happening. A similar thing happened in 2018-19 in the GA era and we barely avoided relegation then too - lots of late goals in crazy ways. I just don't think that level of craziness is sustainable.

• Both are obviously injured because he wouldn’t leave either off the bench. Jack Young loan ended and is a midfielder.

Aside from that, the options were on the pitch. Sub on JJ for Potts. Leahy into midfield. JJ left back. That’s blatantly obvious.

• Trouble is, if we do win on Saturday it will only be masking the troubles we have til the following week when we play someone better again.