Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• JJ actually got a nice sprinklers dig in on the co-comms. Legend!

• Saw Leahy having a shouty fit at him at a throw in earlier. Not sure if it was Leahy frustrated that Taf was, or wasn't going up to the box.

• Finally, the performance the management team, players and fans have all known we are capable of. Max was the keeper we know he can be today. Tafa showed why, when fit, he should be the first defender on the team sheet.

Scowen & Potts did what they can do, such a shame Scowen got a red. Looking at the replays, it is a red card but it is also one of those few occasions where you cannot stop someone like Scowen going for the ball. I think we take that one on the chin and move on.

Dale Taylor suddenly looked threatening and this was mainly down to an imperious performance from Sam Vokes but I'd also liked to congratulate Dale on his workrate and running off the ball today. First striker this season to run onto a Vokes flick, that would have been some goal.

Having 11 players playing in their natural positions, with the right amount of support around them, having a simpler game plan and a lot more experience out on the pitch has finally delivered three points.

So pleased for Matty, he's worked tirelessly, made a lot of mistakes but he got that spot on today. Hopefully this is the corner turned and we can start looking up the table again.

It's only one game, so we now need to do it again and again. We've now seen it might be possible. COYB!

• Well that was so much better ! I've also been in the Blooms out camp, I won't deny that at all, as the football has been pretty dire to watch. But that was so much better today ! I don't mind not winning if I think the team has put in 100 percent and battled, they certainly did that today no doubt. Hopefully we've seen the last of starting with a back 5. If we play like that for the rest of the season I'll cut Matt some slack.

BTW, we look so much better starting with Vokes and having other players actually playing near him

• If only Matt had listened to @aloysius on more than just the dugouts in the summer!

• @Shev doesn't like people referring to themselves in the third person, but gave a thumbs up for the sheer cheek of the post.

• I've been very critical of performances since Bloomfield took over but that was absolutely fantastic.

We're a totally different proposition when we press high. Scowen and D Taylor were superb pinching the ball in their half, starting several attacks. The latter is clearly so much better suited to that role than playing as a target forward.

That was crucial to stopping the opposition having their way. Rovers were a tidy side but we got at them, disrupting passing patterns from the back and winning turnovers. 

When we did come under pressure Max was sensational in goal. The defence were resolute. Midfield battled where needed, but got it down and played where possible. We hoofed it when required too.

All the ingredients came together brilliantly, with both a skilled and gritty performance.

Even the triple sub at 10 men worked. I thought it was the wrong call to leave Vokes on and probably would have put KVY further forward to give us some legs. As it turned out, Wheeler put in a wonderful cameo to force the errors that led to goals 2 & 3. Great stuff and credit to both player and management.

So many good performances. Potts was excellent, Taff imperious, Vokes lead the line well etc.

Let's hope that the result and performance are a turning point. We'll have a great 2024 playing that way.

• @Kevin_Nolan gave @aloysius a thumb down for stealing @Kevin_Nolan’s shtick.

• Just read on the club website that we have now won our last five games against the horse punchers. Fantastic record against such a horrible club!!!

• Formation chat is a much of a muchness like that. Potts and Scowen were deep at times and Sadlier/ GMac were so high at others, it could've been a 4231

• What a great feeling to see the team perform like that. Just what we all needed.

• I am going to luxuriate in the Bristol Rovers forum. I may be some time ...

• Had a good feeling about the starting eleven and Blooms got that spot on today, fair play to him.

How was their player not sent off for hauling back Wheeler last man, just prior to Vokes' goal? The ref was appalling. Max was shoved after both their goals but the ref gave a yellow each way! Added 7 minutes and played 10. I could go on...

Special mentions today to Max, Taf, Leahy, Gmac, Vokes but man of the match had to be Potts.

• Agree on the ref, except that the 7 was a minimum and we had subs, two goals, time wasting and cards. Seemed about right.

• Really enjoyed the game we were excellent today, kudos to whole team , Taylor was loads better with a big man next to him and Taf and low were excellent. I was up and down off my seat all game,that's why we go to football to be entertained

• Plus the ref couldn't of been more biased if he tried ,I thought he was going to join in with their attacks at one stage

• Much better reading about people enjoying the game and being happy for once, amazing what a win can do!

Dread to think what the mood would of been if that chance at the death goes in. Hopefully this is some kind of turning point.

• I couldn’t be happier this evening. Happy that we have a performance that we all knew we were capable of, happy for the win, most of all I’m happy … no thrilled for Matt. He looked crushed after Orient and the booing and this is just the tonic.

A formation close to 4-4-2. Vokes a monster performance doing flicks and holding the ball up. This allowed Taylor to look at getting more involved. And wingers. I love wingers. They put crosses in, we love crosses.

Josh’s indiscretion is unfortunate. A clear red when you see the replay, no argument. He is irreplaceable so whether Wheeler or Leahy has to play the Josh roll it’s gonna be a big ask.

Potts is quite decent too. 😱

• edited January 1

I agree with you @prufrock_91, I thought that Dale was playing just behind Vokes but has the energy to run past him and onto any through ball.

It seems like when Dale Taylor & Vokes play together, they seem to have an understanding between them. I won't say partnership until its been proven in a few more games.

I do have a slight worry over who will fill in for Scowen while he's out (for 3 or more matches) and I think Max is now meant to get a 1-match ban as he has now picked up 5 cautions. Just when things click for the team, they could potentially mess up again!

• Completely agree. It was awful to listen to the homophobia, and it wasn't lost on me either that we've just signed an openly gay player. Disgusting. And there was a confrontation between the tattooed Scottish man and another fan when we were 3-0 up

• As regards the turning point, I hope so, but we’ve had a string of (on paper) more winnable games lately and done poorly in many of them.

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3

You’d hope for us to be able to take, say, 9 points from these games - if we don’t, it could get to squeaky bum time as we head into the run-in.

• Assume we can't use that West Ham cup game (not on the list above, but think it's in between Burton and Lincoln) as one of Scowen's ban games?

• We’ve played more than 19 games so five bookings this season now irrelevant.

Think Bloomfield will serve a touchline ban at Burton though.

• Sounds like a great performance today which I missed as I had committed to going to Stockport v Mansfield with daughter’s boyfriend and his son. So I have a real conundrum. For the good of the team do I stop watching Wycombe games or do I also need to go to every Stockport game as well 🤔

• edited January 1

Sorry @Midlander, I don't follow the logic. I thought that when you get 5 league cautions, it was an automatic ban no matter what time of the season it is (except for Champions League & EURA competitions)

Sorry, just googled it & you're right but does that mean Max can get another 4 cautions before he gets suspended?

• You strike me as a fairly clued up guy, ex ref etc.

So am surprised you've never heard of suspension totting ups being by a certain date before?

Most players would serve a suspension otherwise!

• It’s 19 matches for 5 yellows and 37 matches for 10 yellows.

If you go over the threshold after this number of games have been played there’s no ban.

• edited January 1

When I refereed, I paid no attention to player suspensions and who was close to suspensions because I didn't care what they had done previously, only what they did in my matches. Once the game was over and reports send, I often deleted any records of who & what.

Plus I wasn't good enough for EFL standard and different leagues have different rules with regards to disciple