Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• Oh and feedback on Matchday experience at Edgeley park. As a “home” supporter we were sat behind the goal in the open air end. Poured with rain second half so very damp on leaving. 10,000 plus fans attended but home fan atmosphere almost non existent - Mansfield fans very vocal. Ground tannoy system was appalling an echo making the announcements undecipherable, add to that the big screen being directly behind us with no other visual display meant that difficult to know who was playing - time left etc. (especially after serious head injury to county player - hope he is ok) As for catering took grandson to kiosk midway through first half to find no hot food, crisps or sweets available just a few chocolate bars. Kiosk staff were also arguing and swearing with /at each other. I read a lot of criticism on here about our ground but we are streets ahead of what I experienced today!

• The benchmark has been set, play like that throughout January and I think we could have a decent total of points going into a much tougher set of fixtures in February. I agree with everything that has been written about the performance today, committed, cohesive and plenty of quality. The players were at it from the word go and played with fire in their bellies. The system worked and suited the players we have. What a wonderful change from Orient even though ten of the starting X1 were the same. The only disappointment was that Joey Barton wasn’t around to dig into his repertoire of ridiculous excuses!

• Good interview with their manager online. Especially the comment about Vokes receiving a 2nd yellow.

• Hugely entertaining game today and a massive 3 points. Looking at the performances of Vokes, Potts and Leahy, it's easy to see just how much we missed them whilst they were injured.

A word on Dale Taylor though, thought he was transformed playing off Vokes today. Really showed glimpses of what a good player he can be. Certainly looks to be a way forward for us.

• Superb today. I've been critical of Matt recently, but that was clearly a team who are committed and playing for him. I really hope we stick with the high intensity, high press 442 style we played today, rather than revert back to 5 at the back over the coming games.

• Considering the slim pickings of the last couple of months, this was back to the Wycombe of old. It took everyone pulling their weight and giving their all, but also getting the basics right. With that foundation, we were able to express ourselves and play with no little attacking intent.

The referee threatened to spoil the game with some laughably inconsistent decisions, Vokes in particular seeming to be his bête noire. My impression of the Scowen red was his foot was dangerously high, though I didn't see any contact on my first look at it (I haven't seen any decent quality replays yet) and he's given the referee a decision to make. Always dangerous when the referee had repeatedly demonstrated during the game he was in the mood to punish us as much as possible (or just make it up as he went along when he booked Vokes while leaving Rovers' assault on Stryjek unpunished).

It was to our credit we kept our focus on the task in hand and clinically took our chances after soaking up pressure from Rovers side that in terms of technique aren't shabby at all. That should give the lads and Matt Bloomfield real satisfaction and belief in themselves they can turn this dire run of form around. But it should also let them know that they need to run through brick walls for Matt as they did so often for Gareth, anything less will lead to mediocrity at best.

• Thought Mat Taylor gave an honest view of events TBF. 🤷‍♂️

• Just watched the extended highlights on Wanderers TV and Bloofield is going absolutely ballistic at the referee. The last three words he shouts are For Fucks Sake.

• How

How refreshing to hear a manager making such an honest assessment of a game. No excuses, credited the opposition and none of the usual ‘you know what to expect from Wycombe’ guff that we’ve heard so often. Such a pleasant change from his predecessor.

• Disgraceful...obviously you can still say things without 'being cancelled. '

• Could see he was ranting, but i obviously don't have your lip reading skills to make that out.

More interesting was their goon utterly piling Max to the floor from behind after their 2nd goal. Utterly ridiculous, whatever you expect with Max's time wasting, that's not on.

• Players back fit + confidence from today's result means we're in a much better position now to go on and win those.

I'm not getting carried away. We've been poor for some time and one result doesn't compensate for several dreadful performances.

Nonetheless, I'm at least hopeful after today, which was much more significant than just scraping a 1-0 with an OG.

• Max had his jersey ripped in that incident and the incredibly poor referee cautioned him for time wasting!

• He comes across very well.

One of the better manager interviews, albeit that is a low bar.

• Looking at their forum makes satisfying viewing.

They really really hate us don’t they.

• One swallow doesn’t make a summer but my that was more like it! Decent formation that played to everyone’s strengths and some outstanding performances resulted. Same again next week please Matt and don’t listen to that voice in your head whispering that Keogh as left wing back is the creative thinking move. Just get the ball to Potts (or let him nip it away from baffled players’ feet) and let him feed wingers for crosses to Vokes and Taylor (then Kone for his debut goals in the second half). Simples.

• LX1LX1
    edited January 1

No comment from @ReturnToSenda after a great win.

Just like Danny Senda

Two absolute weapons

• One thing that struck me today was how often when their players tried to run with the ball, one of ours was straight in to them to take it off them. We haven’t been doing that at all in recent weeks, just letting teams run at us and hoping they miss at the end of it. Add to that the fact that we then attacked purposefully, with players making intelligent runs, others creating space, it was an absolute joy to watch.

Sad to hear we had some homophobes in the terrace though. With at least two people on here having heard it, did neither of you step in or report it? What’s the world coming to if we just let them carry on?

• You have a forum here for rational intelligent debate..

• I think physically stepping in is easier said than done - I'd be apprehensive for fear of getting my head smashed in - but doesn't the club have an anonymous reporting line like most clubs have these days?

• In Bloomfield we trust

• Or somewhere to celebrate our Club missing a penalty

• Yeah, it does. I’ve reported racists to stewards at Wycombe matches, and while they didn’t get thrown out, they did get a steward stood next to them for the rest of the game. At Wembley I told them to shut the fuck up, someone else reported them to a steward and they got removed. The system works.

• One thing that was evident today was the significant improvement in the atmosphere.

It felt like the fans really responded to the players display. It was anything but toxic which had been suggested on a number of outlets.

Im still smiling from ear to ear, what a brilliant day! More of the same please.

• What a fabulous start to 2024.

Absolutely delighted for Matt Bloomfield. The last couple of months will have weighed heavily on his shoulders. I am so pleased he can enjoy his evening.

Great to see how happy Wycombe Wanderers supporters are too. We all needed this.

The signing of Richard Kone. I can’t wait to see this lad play. He represents the triumph of human spirit.