Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• Bit worried about this one

• Actually got a feeling of dread about this game, part of me doesn't want to go. Of course I will be there, but can't say I'm in any way confident of a result. Fingers crossed

• I fear we will set out a team not to lose first. And that means 5 at the back. Vokes isolated will give no respite to the midfield and no goal threat.

After the past 12 games I would rather go down swinging.

• Town cryer whose left arm is extruding into a wormhole that’s just opened up in Bristol.

• Call the game off. Electrical storm.

• Rumours on social media about minute silence in 67th minute in memory of those brave Rovers players who lost their points that day.

For context:

Bristol Rovers were left frustrated as their game at Wycombe was abandoned because of a waterlogged pitch with the visitors 3-1 up.

Two terrific strikes by Eliot Richards put Rovers in control but persistent torrential rain during the second half forced referee Andy Davies to call a halt to proceedings after 67 minutes. A torrential thunderstorm then set in during the second half and after the players had been taken from the pitch, play was officially abandoned.

• I would never bet against my own team but you have to say, BR to win at 29/20 and BR to score 2+ goals at 11/8 is fantastic odds.

• I'm going of course I am, but more in hope than expectation today if I'm being honest.

Slightly dreading seeing the team at 2pm and seeing a back 5

• Great feeling about today.

When Datchet Webb sat atop his perch as cock of the gang, he wasn't thinking about access roads or 'the championship'. He was creating the greatest football club in the World.

COYMM!

• A group of young aspiring footballers collaborated to establish North Town Wanderers in 1884, most likely taking their name from the first ever winners of the FA Cup who had defeated High Wycombe FC in the town seven years previously. However, after three years of informal matches against hastily arranged ‘scratch elevens’, the players and management decided they wanted to compete against better sides, and met at the Steam Engine public house on Station Road to form a new club – one which would play in the light and dark blue colours of the Oxford and Cambridge universities.

After a heated discussion, the name ‘North Town’ was discarded due to the new club being made up of players from all over the town, and thus, Wycombe Wanderers Football Club was born.

With each player contributing 6d per week to represent the club, captain ‘Datchet’ Webb and secretary Jim Ray worked tirelessly to secure new players and arrange transport – a horse and wagonette – to get to games.

Sounds like he was thinking about access roads to me.

• Certainly doesn't sound like Blooms will be under any threat if we do lose today.

• Pretty much think the same.

Shame really.

Onwards and sidewards…

• Owner painting himself into a corner again.

• Ask him whether cat owners should let cats go outside or not.

• A contract extension and now a hashtag. Dear Oh Lore as a wise man used to say around here….

• Why? By offering to front up to angry supporters and answer their questions on any subject, how many owners would do that do you think?

• I'm referring to his "big belief" in a rookie manager who hasn't won a game for months. This coming hot on the heels of what was clearly a premature contract extention.

Other opinions are available.

• edited January 1

If I was a betting man I’d argue it’s fairly obvious that Rob has agreed to sell the club. Why on earth would he take the financial hit of sacking MB when he can allow the new owner the opportunity to make the decision?

• It might be me, but surely it's standard chairman type talk?

Imagine if he'd written

"Need a win today, or i'm really going to get itchy on the sack button, #winorjobqueueforthemanager".

• He was hardly likely to say he was fed up with the management and would get rid of them as soon as possible and he’s given those with other opinions the chance to voice them directly to the man who makes the decisions.

• Bring your waterproofs, its going to get wet later

• edited January 1

Has Lyle been released then?

Quite like the look of this, possible 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.

Got a good feeling about today. Let’s be brave, let’s attack, let’s get behind the boys!

COYB!

• My fault I know but bought a 'hot chocolate' from the terrace kiosk. Brown water..Two sips in the bin. A fool and his £2 are soon parted. As for the football hoping for a win to paper over the cracks until Rob's open letter gets us back on track.

• 4-4-2?

• All the official Twitter account says is that Lyle Taylor is “missing out” today on being in the squad without any further elaboration.

Would be great if D Taylor is playing up front in a 2 to pick up the flick-ons from Vokes, but we shall see.

This is as strong an XI as we can put out (with the possible exception of Hanlan) so no excuses.

• Phillips had a bit of a mare the other night, no harm him sitting the bench for a bit until needed, good to see Vokes back although his effectiveness is likely to be down to how well supported he is. Players need to put aside the context of the run and concentrate on basic passing, tackling, crossing.

Have to imagine Lyle T gets released if we are able to attract anyone else, won't wade into lazy stereotypes about his motivation or workrate but it obviously hasn't worked for anyone and you'd hope the money can be used better elsewhere.

• Was Lyle Taylor’s contract only until yesterday/today?

• Dickie Kone in the house apparently.