Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• edited December 2023

Who was that boxer bloke by the way? I thought for a minute it was the pizza delivery driver looking for the person who had ordered the half time special, then I realised he was holding a belt not a box.

• Comparing Lyle Taylor to Shearer and Henry is a leap. I would argue that whilst those two guys were smashing in 30 goals a season, setting records that are still to be broken today Taylor contributes nothing. And when he is more focused on moaning than chasing back as he did v Orient I will lose patience.

• PBoPBo
    edited December 2023

I’m not sure if anyone posted this here yet, it was posted on the FB group but I don’t think it was on here (?). I did do a search, but couldn’t find it…

https://www.youtube.com/live/q_yYwGdIpfI?si=7MDWajA_CvMUj-9M

Anyway - it’s Rob Couhig guesting on an Orient preview.

Cut to around the 21 minute mark and he talks about the importance of manager “consistency” and his lack of patience for fans speculating who the new manager will be if a team goes on a losing run…

• Looks very clear that Bloomfield's job is safe unless Rob has learned what 'the vote of confidence' means in British football.

• Matt is learning his trade and is making plenty of mistakes along the way. I’ve said before give him until Burton but I’m now more inclined to give the rest of the season and Couhig should come out and back him.

Matt has not had much luck with injuries/illness. He has not had Tafa, Vokes, Potts, Grimmer, Leahy, Hanlan available for most of the last two to three months. All would start for me.

Hanlan excepted he can now put his best XI out on the pitch for the first time in a long while.

Vokes not playing Friday was mysterious but we maybe he had a knock and was being protected.

Our strikers have not delivered so far but I’m confident with one or two additions in January we will start winning matches.

I would consider going 4-3-3 now everyone is fit for tomorrows match.

Stryjek

Grimmer Low Tafa Boyes

Potts Scowen Leahy

McCleary Vokes Sadlier

Time for an experienced team to make a difference, I’m confident that we can pick up three points tomorrow if Matt sticks to four at the back and picks our best players.

I also believe he has what it takes to learn and move forwards. COYB!

• edited December 2023

Thanks @PBo for the link to Orient live. It’s a v professional set up they have. Although I did enjoy their pundits identifying (Skybet keeper of the week) Max as our weak ‘shoot on sight’ point!

Clear from the interview that Rob is backing Blooms (and taking the opportunity to make pop at his ‘customer base’ in so doing), which suggests there will definitely be fireworks at full time tomorrow (in the sky and possibly on the terraces if things don’t go well on the pitch). Does the club owner vanity project documentary also suggest Rob in for the long run, or is he the ‘cut and run’ sub plot penned for episode 3?

• Does he realise the importance of the manager being a good manager?

• You would have sacked Ainsworth and now you're clamouring for his return

• edited December 2023

When have I ever said I'd have sacked Gaz? Complete bullshit.

• I still cannot understand this baseless optimism that "we will start winning matches" and that Matt "has what it takes to move forward".

So I'll ask again, what on earth have you seen over the last 11 months to give you that impression? It's been 11 months of relegation form after taking over a playoff-chasing team. It's been horrendous football. Even most of our wins in this time have been lucky results from distinctly average or sub-par performances.

I genuinely believe that no-one would be saying this type of thing if it were any other manager, and people are only backing him out of blind faith because he's Mr Wycombe.

• I think he’s come in and tried to deliver a style of football that many fans have been asking for. It hasn’t worked but he’s tried to give it time to succeed. whether he should have done that last season was questionable.

Over the last few games (except Exeter) he’s trying something new which has given us a defensive platform we can build on.

i think he knows he’s got an imbalance in the squad as we do not have enough options up front. He’s tried to address that with a free agent, as he cannot sign anyone else.

21st October we were 2 points off the play offs and then lost Hanlan, Vokes, Potts and Leahy. Forino, Low and Tafa also got injured at various points.

These players are just returning and I believe they can turn it around and get back to the form that saw us get 20 points from our first 12 matches.

• We could have all the attacking options in the world - that's not going to make a difference if we keep playing such negative football and barely fashioning even a sniff of goal.

• It's been said before Matt is not an arrogant man, but he seems to be a surprisingly obstinate man. His interview post Orient was the first I have seen of his obstinance by ignoring Phil's questions about the discontent from the fans. In his mind he had convinced himself they were saying 'boo-urns'.

For tomorrow I would go simple. Something along the lines of a 4-4-2. A back to basics old school solid 2 banks. You can have width in GMac and Sadlier, and Vokes with either Taylor in the middle up front. When you are in time of crisis you should go back to what you know, these over complex set ups are clearly not being understood by the players especially as they change from game to game. Matt is turning into a tinker man when he needs to throw away his dreams and get back to basics. Get a few simple results and then tweak, tweak and tweak. Ripping up everything game to game is madness. The back 3 is a back 5 and then we don't have any bodies in the midfield and are impotent in attack.

All of this is so obvious for all to see. We have 3rd division footballers being asked to play systems that they are not equipped to play.

• @WanderingDays Oh come on! I appreciate this is a terrible run and some of the recent performances have been dreadful, but let's not rewrite the progress we were making early season. We were playing some really good attractive football and were well placed in the table. I think most fans were delighted with how we going and pleased when Bloomfield got his new contract. Since then the wheels have come off and we're clearly struggling for any sort of form. To start saying our early season progress was down lucky wins is grossly unfair though.

• Happy to hear that Rob is still running the club like a business and investing in the infrastructure for the next five or ten years etc. Not sure that I can see these projects but there you go!

He's also keeping to his budgets and, therefore, if he's as good at this as he's said that he is, why on earth are they putting in millions and requiring more money from elsewhere?!

• 4-4-2 was out of fashion before some of these players (not Keogh) were born!

• edited December 2023

There are plenty of examples of League One teams playing effective possession football, so it's not beyond the players - the system just needs to be coached properly.

• I’ve seen no evidence that anchoring his possession football to 5 at the back with passing it around via Max works. It’s terrifying and Max is not the keeper to play it, and with confidence at zero that’s not gonna work.

• With the players we have 2 wide men getting in crosses works, with the talent in the middle it works. With Vokes and A N Other up front it works. 4-4-2 doesn’t have to be rigid like it once was but whatever we are currently setting up it seems to isolate players too quickly.

• Agreed - it's doing nothing for us. A back 5 is not the starting point for progressive football.

• I respectfully disagree - I think a lot of our scoring problems are down to our striker options - they’re never in the right place at the right time. Vokes has a tendency to come deep and then doesn’t have the pace to get back up front when we start pushing up, Dale Taylor never makes the right runs (I actually think TJay’s runs are better), and Lol Taylor finds it very hard to get on the end of any pass while sitting down. We could have the most creative group of midfielders in the world behind them, but if they’re not getting into positions to receive the passes that wouldn’t help either.

As a side note, we’re incredibly static all over the pitch - very rarely do any of our players make space for themselves or others.

• I think and hope that what he is in touch with is the importance of continuity.

For a club as special as ours, with its tradition of basing player recruitment as much on character and personal qualities as technical ability and its reputation, carefully cultivated over many years, of looking after those players really well, continuity is absolutely vital. That is why I think the vast majority of us welcomed Matt Bloomfield’s appointment.

A change of ownership and/or manager could put at risk the whole ethos of the club.

• Could it be time for 2-3-5 to make a comeback.

• edited December 2023

I'd argue that stubbornly sticking with an appointment which plainly hasn't worked, thus sparking more fervent opposition to the owners, puts the club ethos at equal if not greater risk.

• edited December 2023

It will turn, it will. I’m convinced of it. Won’t be cheap though. We need two proven forwards and a fast winger. We also need a system that delivers the ball quickly to these new players in places where they can do damage. Where's the money coming from, I don’t know. But we’re either a good Div 1 club, or we drift down to a level more suited. MB is going through hell at the minute, but he can learn from it and come back stronger. Keep the faith, but a lot of work to be done in January.

• edited December 2023

To be fair I think @davecz was the main 'I'll drive him there myself...' from the Championship season onwards...win,lose or draw.