Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• I actually disagree with the binary nature of the word ‘split’. I think most of us are somewhere along a spectrum of opinions.

Some (yourself for example, @ReturnToSenda and a few others) have concluded that MB doesn’t have what is needed and we need to replace him as soon as possible.

At the other end there are some who think that MB does have the capabilities to be a successful manager and should be given a lot more time to prove it.

But in-between I think the majority of us are hopeful he can change things around (heartened by what a lot of us saw as progress pre-Potts injury) but at various stages of doubt as to whether he can (disheartened by the likes of the 2-steps back fiasco at Exeter).

Any point on this spectrum can be defended and is valid (despite an occasional reluctance to even listen to other opinions).

Personally I am a couple of dire performances away from concluding that he probably (at the moment) isn’t in a position to be a successful manager for us. But still hold out a sliver of hope that it will all click back into place by Burton away,

• edited December 2023

I definitely hope it works out, don't get me wrong. The realist in me is winning out, though, and it needs to start working out immediately.

• I must admit that I'm somewhat surprised that people were expecting Tafazolli and Forino to be fit to play more games than they have! If we're going to talk about nebulous statistics such as XG, we'd surely be planning for these two to be injured!

• Exactly @bookertease . It's been grim watching but I'm sad we've reached the 'we were lucky to win anything' stage as if its been plain from day one (to them that knows the footballing) we were screwed. Just reminds me of the 'we only won because Rob wrote a letter telling GA to win' or because Dobbo was standing in when Gaz had a bad back...which were touted even during good seasons. I will continue to hope Matt can turn it round until he gets the hook.

• A couple of people keep mentioning things turning around by Burton away. Is there some significance to that game I'm missing?

• I mean this in the nicest manner possible:

@ReturnToSenda have you considered spending some time thinking about what has caused the shift in the way your social profiles are being perceived? You seem to have changed a lot from how you came across on Twitter and on here over the last 18 months or so. That might be a conscious decision. If there’s something else going on and it is unconscious, then I’m just letting you know that it might be worth giving it some thought. Just my two cents where they’re almost certainly not wanted, but I’d want someone to raise it with me if I was in your shoes. I know there’s a wholly decent person in there because you’ve displayed it previously. It would be nice to have that part of you back posting more frequently.

• Yeah, you can think he's still got time and potential, or he's doing a bad job and be borderline, or fully of the opinion he should go and it won't get better until he does and still think campaigning for him to be sacked multiple times a day is dull, unpleasant, a little ungrateful based on his service, and entirely pointless based on the fact we're mostly a load of ageing blokes typing messages between us with no impact on the decision or real insight into what will happen or what is going on behind the scenes. Will probably leave this for a few days, Happy New Year guys

• Can't say in looking forward to tomorrow. Could turn quite ugly if we lose again.

• Warburton did a half decent job. Certainly at the beginning.

• @ReturnToSenda Before this thread, I quite liked your views and opinions, even if I didn't agree with some, I respected them.

However, on this thread, you have only pointed out 2 things.

1) You want Matt Bloomfield out of this club ASAP

2) Spreading information about the Cowley Brothers even tho you have no basis behind it.

They could be vultures looking at Matt's job as potentially their's next? Could they be doing the same to other clubs? Could they just want to escape their wives and kids over the Festive period? No one knows what their intentions are

So an honest question, either reply here or privately, is everything ok? This is really unlike you to keep badgering on about 2 topics again and again and again. We all knpw you love this club and never want to see you decline but can't you see that your very opinioned views are starting to isolate yourself? Again, I'll always be here to take a private message and help out where I can but sometimes, when you are making the point for the 7th or 8th time, you need to just take a moment before hitting the "Post Comment" button

• edited December 2023

Er, I do have basis for the fact they were at the game - which is all I know for certain.

• For those unaware, there is a picture of Danny Cowley in the Orient home end watching us play on Friday night. This is factual and posted on the Facebook group. He was also spotted at one of our home games.

• I'm pretty certain the Cowleys are Orient fans

Doesn't explain why he'd be at other games at all, but not beyond the realms of possibility that he's scouting us for someone

• Can't be as bad as that walk out of the ground having lost the 45th game of the season to them, watching their goon fans invading the pitch, needing a near impossible set of results to keep us up, and trying to pretend that the prospect of aways v the likes of Braintree Town might be "interesting".

• Agree with all of this. Nothing from the next two games and I think I’ll have to conclude that the revival can’t happen.

It does feel like the Bloomfield out camp are quite annoyed that their views are not shared by all. Hence the hourly reminders of where they stand.

Roll on 3pm tomorrow.

• edited December 2023

I’ve also been concerned recently about @ReturnToSenda’s state of mind. I even stuck my neck out on here (which I probably shouldn’t have done) about his having long ignored a direct message from me regarding, inter alia, the psychology behind the apparent compulsion felt by certain individuals to down-thumb every post by particular individuals, however innocuous.

We had also planned back in May to meet (together with another Gasroomer) for a coffee and chat about all things Wanderers. I eventually came to the conclusion (from the deafening silence) that neither of them wanted to go ahead with the arrangement. Fair enough and subsequent developments and comments on here suggest that we might have been somewhat at loggerheads !!

• I actually replied to that a couple of weeks ago - I meant to say!

• You did indeed but I’d already waited nearly five weeks. And I apologise for suggesting that you were uninterested because, having just re-read your reply, you were clearly still up for a coffee and a chat. Bearing in mind our slightly differing (!) views on the current management situation, it might be politic to defer the catch-up until the end of January !

If only @floyd was this side of the pond, I’d be more than happy for him to join us. Especially if his username relates to the pink version.

• I’ve no particular love or loyalty towards MB but I respect him as an honest, committed and long-serving part of the furniture at Adams Park. He’s known as Mr Wycombe for a reason. Our club has built up a well deserved reputation for taking good care of players as I’ve said in rather more detail elsewhere. With him as manager, that reputation will be secure. The lengths he went to in preseason to keep in touch personally with several of his targets and his success in persuading so many to join were impressive.

The next few weeks will be crucial in terms of recruitment, performances and results. Until then the jury is out.

By the way. You mentioned tomorrow night. It’s actually a 3 pm kick off.

• Happy new year to each and every one of you. Whoever is reading this, the Gasroom wouldn't be the same without you!

• Happy New Year Gasroomers! Hopefully 2024 will be a good one for you all

• edited December 2023

Queen Margrethe II has abdicated the Danish throne.

Cowley Brothers seen at the last Brondby game is thought to be 'just a coincidence'

• edited January 1
  • Wether tiss better to play a 3 or 4, that is the question

• 2 goals and 2 assists probably makes him the best attacker in the side this season.