Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• I definitely questioned him at times, but I never once called for him to go. Mr Snarky is just doing his usual act of lobbing a grenade then retreating into silence.

• But I must add some of your posts against Gaz at the start of last season seemed appallingly negative to me and along with a few other usual doom mongers were part of the reason I packed the Gasroom in for a bit, so I can see why it might be construed you might have wanted him out. Of course, I have since learned to be more robust 😉

• He lobbed one at me the other day but I can’t remember what it was about. I’ve refrained for some time from criticising his favourite striker.

• You want Bloomfield out? We would never have guessed! As you recently advised me to ‘take a day off’ perhaps I could respectfully suggest that you follow your own advice.

• Calm down

If you're Bloomfield out now, there is no way on earth you weren't Gaz out in 2014. Absolutely zero chance

• I tend to agree with @drcongo on this; our problems are

a) we are generally too static as a team - no one (other than Phillips occassionally) is making runs to create space by dragging players out of position

b) playing a single forward means without that space they far too often have to drop deep to collect or we choose the wrong option for the player on the pitch e.g. pinging crosses or long balls wont work if Dale Taylor is our lone striker he needs it feet or passe dinto space behind the defenders - something we are rarely doing lately

c) no one ever seems to be able to collect the flick ons from Vokes or Wheeler again because we are being too reactive rather than proactive and are too far away from the target man.

Why is this the case, partly fear of losing again & I suspect at this juncture over emphasis on defence (i.e. keep a clean sheet at all costs). These problems are all solvable by the coaching staf and I suspect by simplifying things you ask the players to do (I believe that the KISS principle works in all walks of life). Yes the choice of formation will help too; as we have seen when we play 4-3-3 or even 4-2-3-1, though 4-4-2 would probasbly work just as well, though the side midfielders will have to work hard to create the crossing opportunities etc.

• Yeah, you're just making yourself look like even more of an idiot now. Keep going.

• What tradition ? You mean the last 10 years. Rather than continuity, id rather have the best person for the job, whether they are here or not

• I think there comes a point - in general, at any club - where you have to just move on. You can uphold core values while employing managers who are 'outsiders' to the club (which is what pretty much every single club does).

• edited December 2023

My big worry is that the current owners lack the capacity to look beyond the Wycombe bubble, so to speak, and I've worried about that from the outset. That would be a concern even if Blooms was doing well - because you can't keep appointing an endless stream of former players or people with some other form of association with the club.

• "Very pleased with the manager".

I suppose he can't really say anything different in fairness can he?

• Out of (genuine) curiosity, do you have any thoughts what is happening in the background (if anything) with the Cowleys?

• Not sure I was ,but did suggest although he was good for us , he was limited which has been proved to be correct with his tenure at QPR.

• We’ve had injuries to our key strikers and our backs up aren’t delivering currently. The amount of injuries we’ve had this season is not normal. I think you’re being a bit over the top at the minute and statements like the one above really aren’t helping.

I think he’s overthinking it and just needs to play Vokes up top and build the attackers around him. The first hour against Port Vale was excellent and we had 19 shots over the game, 6 on target.

For me, the mistake he made was going to a back three again at Exeter and then not bringing Vokes on at Orient. Again, he’s young in his management career and just needs to relax a little and things will turn.

Our Home form is the problem. 2 draws and 4 defeats in our last 6.

Away from home we’ve had four draws (Posh, Oxford, Orient and Derby) and two defeats in our last 6. Including the Stryjek howler at Barnsley. We were a couple of minutes from one defeat in 6 on the road. We are not a million miles away from the turning the corner.

Id rather we stuck by a young manager and gave him a chance to turn it around. He’s had one transfer window only and a squad ravaged by injuries.

• Gasroom seems to be split into those wanting to prove their love and loyalty for Matt and those who want him gone. I would have to say I'm coldly looking at the 11 months of results and on pitch performances and say I am in the latter group, which give me and pretty much everyone no pleasure.

My feelings are quite simple. We are on a trajectory of decline. We are not making the most of the players we have. We have lost our on-pitch identity. We are a mess. And those who fight for no change believe it will turnaround. They don't think change is good. They think Matt has earned his right for (more) time. I honestly hope to join you guys, even starting tomorrow night. In the meantime I will keep this sickness deep down in my stomach as I see this car crash happen in front of me.

• Name me a successful QPR manager in the last 5 years?

• 1 win in 18 was ok with you? Fair enough but quite surprising

• We’ve been dreadful at times over the last couple of months. It’s not been a good watch a lot of the time. he’s been stubborn with a back three for too long and should never have gone back to it at Exeter.

The only back three I’d be happy with is Forino, Low/Tafa and Leahy. If it’s Keogh, Grimmer, JJ then back four preferred.

However, with some fresh attacking options in January, hopefully keeping four at the back and the return of key players, I think we will improve significantly.

I can understand why people have had enough and want a change and I don’t have a lot to argue against that. Only time will tell whether we should stick or twist. I’m hoping it all comes good and we can look back on this tough period and be pleased that Couhig didn’t pull the trigger and Matt goes on to be a successful manager in his own right.

yes, we’re plummeting but we’re still five points above the drop zone and I’d prefer to be patient for a few more weeks yet.

Roll on tomorrow and three points.

• That did make me smile...you made the he was good for us bit so subtle over the years I must have missed it. 😊

• What I am struggling with is why we looked so good for much of nine matches, quite a tidy run. Was the pace of Hanlan just stretching defenses more?

My thing has always been that we had a very good spell under Blooms - I just don't know why we can't get back to it.

• Sometimes you don’t notice how pivotal people are until they’re not there. Hanlan has been a massive miss for us, as have Potts, Leahy and Tafazolli.

• edited December 2023

Most of our early season form was down to lucky wins though. We clung on against 10 men Leyton Orient. We got battered by Northampton who could've scored 5 on another day. We clung on again at Bristol Rovers, who spurned numerous big chances and offered far more attacking threat. Carlisle was another ropey shaky match against 10 men. Only Blackpool and Fleetwood were actually good performances - and the latter was against truly woeful opposition (I was there to see with my own eyes). I certainly was not "delighted" with our progress.

Moreover, we've had 4 or fewer shots on goal in 15 of our 23 league games so far, including 5 games with just 1 on target and 2 with none (zero).

• I did wonder how long it would be before losing Hanlan would be cited as the reason for our downturn. Don’t want to kick a man when he’s down but with 2 goals and 2 assists this season he is NOT the reason for our demise.

• I am not trying to gloss over recent performances but I think your assessment is unfair. We might have enjoyed a certain amount of good fortune in some of the games you mentioned, but remember the unlucky moments or undeserved losses which have cost us points. We played well and deserved something at Charlton; lost to a disputed last minute goal at Pompey; had two serious injuries which affected the game against Stevenage; deserved to win at Peterborough; conceded a late and disputed penalty at Oxford; no one needs reminding about Barnsley; are one of the few teams to take a point at Derby, and should have comfortably beaten Port Vale. It hasn’t been a complete disaster.

• edited December 2023

Mustard was frustrating at times but he was exciting and anything was possible (good and bad). He did pull defences out of shape partly due to his raw speed. This created space for others esp GMac imo.

As an aside Big Sam, despite his physique, never has been an old fashioned out and out target man. He has two elements to his game: the flick on header coming deep, back to goal, (which needs someone to anticipate the flick - TJay let’s be ‘avin you); his goal scoring which was usually arriving late to the six yard line connecting with a firm pull back from the edge of the box by-line (maybe a younger GMac but we don’t seem to have that Anis or Paris C-H anymore).

Anticipating tomorrow, a mate is a Rovers fan (we all have our cross to bear) he tells me they are on fire having lanced the boil that was Barton. So, a huge test but what a way to start the New Year with a win. COYB’s.

• edited December 2023

He did occupy opposition defenders though. With our current "strikers" those defenders can spend most of each match on their deckchairs!

• You're not alone, you've pretty much summed up exactly how I feel