Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• I’m not saying the end is nigh and “eventually” seems like a fair and realistic comment but I’d like to think that the rest of the season won’t be “unpleasant”.

The prevailing mood amongst the vast majority of fans and MB’s visible shock at the post-match reaction of a significant section of the travelling fans last night will be very hard to shift but we must at least await the impact of the inevitable navel gazing, frank discussions and player comings and goings over the next few weeks before deciding that the rest of the season will be unpleasant. Let’s remain positive and hope that the battle might be quite exciting.

• Bristol Rovers have a poor away record and are only 9 points ahead of us in the table..

I understand the collective panic but Monday will probably be like last night and not a 5-0 thrashing followed by fireworks.

• @bookertease , @ReturnToSenda is correct, it is fearful football. I held back from saying anything pre match but I watched the coaching staff and players come off the bus outside Brisbane Rd and they looked either terrified

or heads down staring at the pavement.

• Agreed. A lot of the teams we're playing aren't particularly special. I remember feeling a lot more hopelessness about the situation in that first couple of months in the championship.

We're playing pretty haplessly but generally being edged out narrowly.

• Don’t most people look down whilst walking down a set of steps?

If they were smiling and waving, then tripped and fractured their ankle I’m sure there’d be plenty more said.

• Good point well made! It was more as they walked along the pavement to the players entrance - they do usually acknowledge the supporters more on arrival, but perhaps I’m reading too much into it.

• My take is this

a) RC either sacks MB on Tuesday irrespective of the result on Monday or publicly supports him by saying something along the lines of he is with us till at least the end of the season

b) Team confidence is very low, hence the "fearful" football, none of them are stupid & all know the potential consequences of the shocking run of form we are in including potentially their coaches losing their jobs...

c) MB & his coaching team have to very quickly figure out how to lift the team/instill a "backs to the wall" mentality - he needs his version of the "elephant up a tree" moment, without that the reaminde of the season wont be pleasant

d) They also need to stop chopping & changing line ups & formations at the drop of a hat, 4-2-3-1 seems to be our best formation so stick to it & let the players build those understandings that will start to show an improvement in the onfield match-day experience

e) We need an out & out sole striker as early as possible in the Jan window, ideally who is under 30 & has more than 2 gears

f) Finally, more a wish than anything else - we get shot of L Taylor asap & tell Keogh to start working towards his coaching badges as he will get very limited playing time for the rest of the season

• "poor"...I'd take their 12th in the away form table vs our, oh, 24th in the home form table any day.

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3

• edited December 2023

I suspect Rob’s outlook will be very simple - there’s still a lot of football to be played. He made it clear, his desire for us to be a stable Championship side, and I would imagine that if you asked him today, he would naively believe we can still make the playoffs under Blooms.

This is why I don’t believe he will sack Blooms.

We may all have differing opinions but the fact is, we are closer to the bottom than we are to the top. We can only hope that isn’t the case come May.

• I think the main reason Rob won't want to get rid of Matt is, he's trying to sell the club, (and I've heard quite a few whispers that it could be close) and he won't want to pay him off, would probably rather leave it to someone else to make a decision.

• Presumably the reason he's been around recently is to this end?

• Imagine trying to manage the team with that grotesque spectre looming.

• Why are they here? Like cockney hyenas waiting for an injured calf to fall. Gross.

• Yeah, they were…how many games is that they’ve attended recently? Is it 2 or 3?

• Maybe who knows, I'm not claiming to be an itk, but I do know a few people connected with the club, I've never known or been told about transfers etc, but this sort of thing does get mentioned, and it's been ongoing for a couple of months now, so wouldn't be surprised

• If there is a changing of the guard shortly, they've got a heck of a first call to make.

• edited December 2023

Don't think so. They might be turning up to recent games but nobody's seen them at Cressex Services.

• Apparently they both have Tesco Club cards.

• I really don't understand the dislike of Lyle Taylor, he's a really good player who's working up to full fitness after a long period out. You can see the technical ability he has. He did far more than Dale Taylor, like bothering to press.

• Indeed @HomerLone. That would be a horrific scenario. As an octogenarian who supported Wycombe for nearly 60 years before having to give up attending matches I was thrilled to bits when Daniel’s father took him to Adams Park for his first ever live match, especially as he is a Chelsea fan (Hmmmm) and the family only moved here three years ago from Ruislip.

I would be really saddened if the present situation deterred his dad from taking him. But I’m fairly confident that it won’t.

• It’s probably the situation we find ourselves in. There is no time or patience for someone who’s been out of the game for 18 months to get back up to pace.

He is struggling at the moment but as you say, probably did more than Dale Taylor.

• I think we still have to question why, having scored five goals during his three months with Burton Albion, Dale Taylor has only scored a couple whilst at Wycombe.

To be fair he only turned 20 a couple of weeks ago and he probably had greater continuity at Burton.

• edited December 2023

For me it is that when the ball is anywhere near him, he is always more focused on affectionately embracing the defender and then protesting to the ref. He never seems to actually play the ball.

I don't dislike him, just don't see the point in that approach. Alex Samuel, with far less talent, would either win the free kick by his relentlessness, or carry on charging down the channel and open things up.

• He WAS a really good player, after 18 months out of not playing football I do have to wonder if his heart was in it not actually having a team for so long. And so he is a frustrated player who knew he one was a decent striker. He always had an attitude when he was successful and you can forgive a player for that when they are banging it in. Now he hits the deck at the first sign of contact and when he doesn't get the foul (correctly) he throws a windmill arm strop. Yesterday he was still whinging and whining for his latest injustice as Orient attacked at will. That is unforgivable. We don't need that stroppy attitude in the squad when we are backs against the wall. And it is not just once or twice it is EVERY tackle and every contact.

I simply think he's done. 18 months is too long out the game. If he had fire in his belly to play football he would have taken an offer in that time. So why hasn't he, or why hasn't he had any?

MAYBE playing him in a two with Vokes MAY work. But I've seen nothing to suggest he's anything like the guy who retired a year and a half ago.

• Dale Taylor has to keep dropping back to get the ball...I've seen nothing so far to suggest Lyle is anything close to a goal threat. In true Gasroom style I truly, truly hope to be proved wrong.

• I've literally seen nothing of this behaviour at all.

• Really?!

• I tell you what might be a terrific idea.....pick Sam Vokes and then some players who can put some crosses into the box for him to attack

Just a thought

• As for Dale Taylor, I'm hesitant to criticise a player who was up against centre halves about a foot taller than him and proceeded to have long balls lumped up to him all night