Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Reading

Comments

• @Commoner ’best view at Adams Park’ is a moot point. Some find the lofty perch in the FA sterile and disconnected, some find the intimacy and connection to the players in the Beachdean / Origin / whatever a preferable lower league experience. Each to their own. IF commercial expediency demands a stand is closed it has to be the one that is the most expensive to operate. That is what drives the decision making I imagine.

• Yeah agree with that

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2023

Well said @glasshalffull

• edited November 2023

Morecambe will be the 4th of 5 Saturday home games in a row. The first three were not the best, and it's not as though we've set the world alight at home this season. Several boring clashes with quite a few defeats. Let's face it we've not really had much to cheer about at home for almost two months.

It's Xmas just around the corner, money is tighter than it ever has been. The management team and the players need to give us a reason to go and support, it's a 2 way thing.

Perhaps a change in style or performance levels tomorrow may encourage a few more to come along on Saturday.

I suspect I'll still go along because that's what I've done for 25-30 Saturday's a season for 20+ years. However, I'm worried because as a 35+ games a season supporter, even I'm struggling to motivate myself to go along, so got no idea how we're going to attract the occasionals. Moan over.

• Equally, people will take any opportunity they can to save money at the moment, and an unattractive cup game at a time when we're bang out of form is exactly that.

• and we already know, of course, that we're away at Goodison with @ryan_w_kirkby2 for the third round if we can win on Saturday. Come on Wycombe!!!!!!!!!!

• It’s always a bad sign if loyalty is the only reason to go to a game.

• “If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."

• Might count as a flare...or an unlicensed firework display.

• Most of the posters in this thread will be busy on Saturday still picking up all their toys and putting them back in their pram.

• the only reason? It's the FA Bleedin' Cup, man! To the names resounding in the great competition's oral history, Ronnie Radford, Tim Buzaglo, Alan Sunderland, Lawrie Sanchez, Martin Taylor and Roy Essandoh, could be added the new-boy Boyes and the veteran McCleary. See you there.

• I disagree. Surely loyalty to your team when things aren’t going well is one of the criteria of being a true supporter? I get the argument about cost at this time of the year, but that wasn’t the main issue with those who said they weren’t going to the Morecambe game.

• edited November 2023

Was Saturday really that bad? I mean, I know it wasn't great but I can remember so many more worse games.

I appreciate it shouldn't be a race to the bottom but it was by far the worst ever. Basically hinged on two incidents. Wing's shot took a wicked deflection and went in, and Wheeler's shot took a wicked deflection, hit the post and bounced out.

It was also really cold, which didn't help. But on another day we'd have won it 2-1

• then a day or so later desperately trying to get hold of tickets for Liverpool at home in the 3rd round

• @eric_plant sometimes I think I live in a bizarre loop where every Wycombe fan has their memory wiped at the end of every season and everything that happens subsequently is a complete surprise to them.

• I agree it certainly wasn't the worst (Boston at home) but sometimes you go, see the line up at 1400. Then see how we are set-up and think this just isn't going to work. Taylor played the first 5 minutes as the 2nd midfielder next to Scowen! Then it gets compounded by having 5 or 6 people in a line, up front, as we pump balls for the last 20 minutes.

Apart from the goal and the 10 minute spell in the 2nd half, culminating in that great move for Philips shot over the bar, it was dire.

I'm looking forward to watching tomorrow night and hoping for a change in formation OR a much improved performance from Saturday, with some square pegs in square holes. If we end up doing exactly the same as Saturday again, it will be infuriating. Fingers crossed.

• If you do see anyone there that looks like me please give them my condolences.

I suspect I forfeited my ‘true supporter’ status a long time ago. My mental health is more important than such labels.

If that happens I’ll pay for your ticket.

• It's about time we had a surprise 'big name' in the third round. I do enjoy all the posts along the lines of 'I'm a lifelong supporter who for an assortment of tenuous reasons hasn't been able to attend a match since the last Wembley game. Surely it would be simple for the club to devise a priority scheme that takes into account an exact set of circumstances that would see me rise to the very top of the priority queue'?

• I think the problem with the Reading game is that it came on the back of Stevenage which for a variety of reasons was one of the most depressing games I'm sure many of us have attended. In truth, Saturday was poor (especially the 1st half), but I've seen plenty worse.

For me, Morecambe is now the biggest game of the season. Whatever the result tomorrow, we'll all feel a lot better if we've got a 3rd round FA Cup match to look forward to in the NY. I'm away at the weekend annoyingly, can completely understand folk who stay away due to costs, but I'd be prioritising this one ahead of home games against Shrewsbury and Port Vale!

• However @Wycombe85 for anyone with a ST (about 3500 I think) this is a game that's not already paid for, and many might elect not to spend more if they don't have to.

On the other hand anyone who might have considered coming to the FA Cup is surely at least reviewing their options.

We only had about 1700 Wycombe fans who are not ST holders opt to come watch the "big game" against Reading.

Personally I'd be surprised if the home attendance against Morecambe is much more than 3500 (sad as that may seem to some).

• You're quite right of course, and no doubt by about Thursday I'd have changed my mind (as I'm one of those who said I'm probably not going) and I will end up going, as I always do. But it is bloody hard work atm, cost, entertainment on show when we do get there isn't great. Hoping we turn a corner and start playing as we all know we can.

• @Twizz I'm actually not sure the attendance will be much above 2k which for an FA Cup 2nd round match would be a crying shame!

I'm a non season ticket holder and if I were choosing between say Morecambe in the Cup and Shrewsbury the week after, the cup tie would definitely get my vote, especially as it's cheaper! But then, I am of the demographic that still think all FA Cup games are huge! I might even venture to the EFL Trophy game next Tuesday (partly because I can't make Saturday). Whilst a match against an U21 team doesn't really appeal, I get the feeling that any excitement we get this season, may well come in the cups.

• They might have set their prams on fire depending on how tomorrow night goes.

• There is simply no patience in football any more. The last club who showed true patience (that I can think of) in the face of their rookie manager struggling to find his feet (but showing flashes) was Arsenal with Arteta, and that turned out okay!

If Blooms had done nothing but flounder from day one that would be one thing, but we have seen a sustained spell of how we can perform when it is clicking, and it was superb. Many supporters said this would be a transitional season and also that the team would need to gel coming in, but when those things actually turn out to be true, it seems many of those same fans are turning on Blooms.

No-one likes realizing that promotion may be a fading prospect in November, but we have seen real indicators of what we can do under Mr. Wycombe. I honestly feel that if we do exercise patience, we are going to benefit from it in the long term.

• could be handy when they bump the prices up to 50 quid..........cheers!

• It would just be a bit silly to imagine that all Wycombe fans go to all games, ever did, or even should do.

Saturday was dreadful, that won't get me waving plackards to remove the manager but it doesn't make me particularly inclined to make another long and probably expensive journey in the cold, I'd love it if more people came to see us regularly but maybe they haven't all heard we have new toilets, the food is kind of alright as long as it's bought in the car park before you go in the ground and we've had outline discussions about a planning application for an access road.

Few mentions of atmosphere above and I know the subject has been done to death but after a quiet start and a few chants in the terrace our ex drummer comes in and screeches barely discernable words at ear shattering levels thereby starting arguments and pissing off anybody within miles, as bizzare a sight as it is counterproductive.

• Obviously you are financially comfortable enough to not have to worry about finances sir !!!!

We are not all in that boat sadly !!!!!

£22 this weekend, £16 next weekend, add in to that petrol for a 150 mile round trip, and a whole day away from my family.

I'm assuming glasshalffull that you do not have young children of your own that are at school all week ?

Well I do !!

And i want to spend time with them.

I was desperate to walk out of Adams Park on Saturday with a huge dilemma as to what to do next weekend, i could possibly justify the cost in these super tough times if the whole experience was amazing.

Sadly it was not.

That's not my fault !

This game probably cost me £50 with petrol, admission and a takeaway food item.

It was £50 we as a family cannot afford.

So another £45 next weekend on what ( if going by this weekend ) is a poor product is not exactly enticing.

Maybe, if i had your comfy financial situation and literally didn't have to worry about buying school shoes for my kids or putting food on the table, or having huge electric and gas bills then i could just come along out of loyalty.

Sadly, i, and many others do not have that luxury !!! Give a crappy insipid performance thrown in then, sadly, that's given ne no reason to come next week.

• Alan is probably living it up on his Sky pension…and why not, he deserves it.