Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Reading

Comments

• edited November 2023

It’ll be interesting to see where we are in a fortnight’s time. If we’ve failed to win any of our next four matches, we’ll have just a relegation battle to look forward to as we head into Christmas.

Meanwhile time will be ticking away on the availability of the perfect manager and assistant. I wonder how many would be brave enough to take the opportunity, whilst it’s still there.

Consequently it would see Matt Bloomfield given less than ten months in the job, which I don’t think would sit right with most people.

Whatever happens I’m glad it’s a decision I don’t have to make.

• Going back to GA from Blooms would be madness, and against everything we are as a club.

• We're 6 points off relegation. Do I have your attention?

• Yesterday was poor for sure and exposed several weaknesses that have been discussed above. I think there’ll be more performances like that until the club culture comes together under the new regime.

In taking Matt B the owners have chosen potential. He’s a young manager with little experience learning his trade. So was Gaz and it took him a while. The question of course is can Matt learn the trade? He’s clearly smart, thoughtful and motivated. In my experience people with those qualities tend to do well in what they set out to do. Doesn’t mean they don’t make mistakes, we expect newly promoted staff to make mistakes, it’s how they learn. The good ones do just that.

Unfortunately modern sport demands instant success and anything less is seen as failure and that is an added pressure on managers and owners.

I said at the beginning of the season that if by March we are safe with players and manager on the same page playing for each-other and the club with belief and passion it will have been a good season. No reason to believe that cannot still happen.

• Sometimes the claims will be false

• Why are the BFP trying to make a thing of Lewis Wing celebrating his goal?

• Failed post

• I'd be annoyed if he didn't. Not celebrating a goal because it is against your old club is like not celebrating your wedding anniversary because your ex might see the photos on social media.

• FrenchFry. I thought you summed it up perfectly. As a season ticket holder of 30 years standing I will not be going on Saturday.

• All fine. Except we keep making the same mistakes. The football has been the same since Matt got the job there has been little sign of any willingness to adapt the strategy to reflect opposition/conditions/injuries. How many times do we need to learn the footballing lesson handed to us almost every Saturday afternoon?

I thought by Monday I might have cooled off a little. I'm still absolutely furious about our absolute insistence on playing a terrible style of football that isn't working, with seemingly no willingness to change. The low block tactic worked briefly but has been completely undermined by our inability to sustain a coherent attacking move, which means we have little counter threat and end up getting totally penned in as teams step higher and higher onto us (Reading were defending on halfway at times in the first half and we never once tried a quick ball over the top for Gmac). It is astonishingly boring to watch, fails to get anything at all from decent attacking players, and has so far generated crap results.

I have to assume the management team realise the situation they're in. The nature of football means we're now 2-3 bad results from being in serious trouble, at which point their jobs are at risk. So they need to start focussing on results in the here and now if they want to be able to continue to develop the long-term plan. That means showing some acceptance the current strategy is failing and instead seeking wins through an alternative plan. Eventually, we may switch back to the current tactic and execute it better. But in the moment we need a change.

• Exactly. As long as you don't go giving the finger to the oppo fans, what's the issue?

• The atmosphere is directly proportional to the quality of entertainment on the pitch.

Yes, atmosphere was probably better pre-smartphone era, but AP regularly got very loud under Ainsworth, and has done the same once or twice under MB.

Aside from a moment of class from Phillips, it was 90 minutes of absolute shite, and the intensity of the home support reflected that.

• The problem, as it was at the start of the season, is an ineffective 3-5-2 where our wing backs offer next to nothing going forwards and barely cross the half way line.

It is exacerbated when you have 3 immobile centre halves, our brief upsurge in form was due to Leahy being able to step out as one of the 3 and offer genuine quality delivery.

We have been killed by two things - injuries to key players but most annoyingly this stubborn insistence to play a formation that doesn't work and doesn't even suit our players.

• This is pretty much exactly how I feel, and why I couldn't really bring myself to comment on the match afterwards as I was just so fed up. As a result, and the fact we have another home match the following weekend, I will also not be bothering this weekend for the cup, and the fact I've actually said that and made that decision is a bit sad and depressing.

• edited November 2023

Low isn't exactly immobile, but having two players with the turning circle of an articulated lorry next to him means he has to overcompensate.

It might function with Grimmer on the right, Low on the left and one of Keogh/Taf in the middle - then maybe Wheeler RWB - but injuries have really stretched us.

• edited November 2023

As I said about a month ago, when all players are fit, our long term first choice back 3 should be Leahy, Tafazolli and Low. With Potts’ injury in midfield we should be looking at a short term back 3 of JJ, Tafazolli and Low - bringing Leahy into midfield to support Scowen whilst we’re light there

Sorry, but it’s not rocket science. It has been incredibly obvious that the wooden back 3 we have employed recently has lacked so much agility that we can’t progress play out of our own half without whacking it 40 yards up the pitch with no Vokes to hold up the ball. Rubbish tactics recently. I was astounded that we didn’t make a switch at half time on Saturday.

Get Keogh out the team at all costs.

• You're getting football fans wrong...we are allowed to boo and abuse an ex-player but if he celebrates a goal against us we get the vapours and swoon...

• I very much understood us going for Keogh on paper.

Sign an older, experienced player from a higher level, to act as calming influence at the back, who can compensate for his lack of pace and agility with good decision making and leadership for younger players.

But he looks just as panicked under pressure as the young players, is just as prone to bad judgement and decision-making, and doesn't seem to be able to inspire confidence in his team mates..

It's made even more frustrating by the fact he thinks he's some sort of exquisite playmaker, when all he does is demand the ball, then slow down the game, before playing the same awful, flat pass to an opposition midfielder.

• I remember under Gareth that no-one ever complained about the atmosphere at AP, that we knew we would always win no matter the score at half time, never had a bad run, always finished in the playoffs, we loved every player (even his mates) and he always had full support of the fans from day one.

Or did I dream it?

Disappointed with the results and the performances in the last two games but not boycotting Cup games (we got to the quarter finals when we were a bang average side) or ripping up my customer subscription just yet.

• How would you rip up a subscription? March over to the dugout and slam your phone into the ground at the manager's feet?

• @ReturnToSenda It's a play on the old joke of outraged flat capped fans ripping up their season ticket. A joke if you will because yes...things have changed and I could not actually rip up one-off our in the ether cloud based digital subscriptions.

I do have a plastic card though...but I doubt they would let me bring the big scissors in that I would need to cut it up and throw the bits at Rob.

Which I probably would not do anyway being old and polite like...just mumble on my way back to my car.

• Haha, don't worry, I clocked that! I wouldn't put it past a football fan to use their phone as a projectile, though...

• Are the ticket prices reduced for the Morecambe game?

• Yes, they are reduced but have just noticed the Frank Adams Upper is closed, it is another reason not to go this weekend.

I sat in the Origin Stand for the Wimbledon game and even on the back row in Block B the view is really restricted of the away end and near touchline. I prefer to avoid the Family Stand as if it's raining you can get soaked everywhere and of course people are constantly getting up and down. (I know I'm a miserable git.)

I would open the FA Upper and close the family stand for Cup matches. At the end of the day, we need those in the Family Stand, as they get older, to upgrade to the FA Upper, if they want to sit. Why not let them taste the best view at Adams Park in the Cup games to whet the appetite.

• Good to see the club have given priority (after sths) for potential 3rd round to those going to Morecambe game.