Skip to content

Match day thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• A rare Max mistake or am I being harsh?

• Taylor’s shown what he’s about tonight for sure.

I’m loving the clampdown on time wasting. I reckon we’ve seen double the amount of play compared with some games in recent years.

• edited August 2023

Wierd goal to concede so quickly after our third - fair play to Orient for making a game of this

• Who’s captain tonight?

• We are making ten men look pretty deadly going forward.

• @drcongo - Grimmer apparently

• Great turn out from Orient - 845 away fans

• edited August 2023

Not perfect by a long shot but at least we are showing we can score goals.. could have done without the immediate reply though 🙄

• Still looking horribly disorganised at the back &sitting far too deep

Grimmer & Max should be screaming at them to get them organised & pushing out

• edited August 2023

You would have no idea Orient were down to 10.

We look shabby at the back but whatever happens, it’s a much better performance from the boys.

• This is the sort of game when I really wish Anthony Stewart was on the pitch for us.

• I’d have had Scowen as captain, he’s doing that job out there anyway.

• Despite the few positive signs, you do wonder if we'd have got anything v 11 men. Hmm.

• Well done Blooms. That was proper entertaining.

• Can we play on Tuesday every week please?

• Got the win. Should beat Burton on Saturday. Mid-table with confidence growing, a good base to build on.

• 2 goals from Joe.... not a loanee.... one of our own.

2 assist for leahy....

A confidence boosting goal for Taylor (he looks like he has something about him and I hope he now pushes on)

Not perfect... but we should embrace the win... 3 vital points. ...

Let's build on it and move forward.

COYB!!!!

• Big, big result in the circumstances. Some fantastic individual performances, but it still seems we are a little less than the sum of our parts, scraping past a 10 man Orient.

Taylor looks like a brilliant signing.

• edited August 2023

A good game; hats off to Orient for not giving up or retreating into their shell following the red card. I suspect Wellens post match interview is going to be a real hoot following the post whistle scenes.

Going forward we looked a lot better, defensively Low made a difference & Keogh being brough on gave a better balance, having said that we are still too disjointed & disorganised at the back & need someone to take charge; too often it looks like they are all waiting for someone else to clatter the ball clear.

• Clearly some quality players in that side, but a lot of work to do to bring them together as a properly functioning unit.

• edited August 2023

Had no idea Orient had that many staff, refs done his card quota for the month.

Not ideal at the end there but with a bit of luck Leahy and Taylor could easily have had another goal or two each.

Entertaining game and a win should calm some people for a few days or minutes at least. Needed that.

We've clearly got some very good players. Bit more organisation and understanding and you never know where we could go.

• At the back we were terrifying at times. Vincent-Young was overloaded from minute one and we did nothing to change it. Low is a fantastic player. Boyes similarly. Lots of other individual pluses but too many players looking disconnected still.

A win. A confidence boost. Roll on breaking that hoodoo on Saturday

• Some semblance of attacking patterns tonight, which was more promising!

• Made tough work of that in the end but we’d have all jumped at that result before the game. 3 good goals and overall a much more potent showing.

Still a little worrying defensively but at this stage in the season after two heavy defeats we just needed a win. There’s a huge difference between 3 pts from 3 and 0 pts from 3.

The bright sparks individually were undoubtedly Low, who looks a real player; Boyes, who can probably carry the ball better than anyone else in our team; and Taylor, who has looked sharp even despite some pretty poor service in his first few games. I thought Phillips looked good in the first half as well and was involved in most of our best creative moves, so hopefully he’s not out for any significant period of time.

• 3 goals, a win, points in the board, we’re up and running.

We can, and no doubt will, analyse things more in the coming days, but let’s - yes even me - focus on the positives for a few hours at least.

• Highlight of the night for me was the Orient boss gesturing to the fans to give the referee some abuse. I think he’ll be getting a fine for that one.

• Certainly going to be a number of things he will be getting a fine for