Skip to content

Match day thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• Apart from the shot from distance Taylor is not much of a threat. Phillips was superb but that ‘injury’ seems to have taken him down a notch and he was hobbling at times.

We are so disjointed. You can’t tell me that Exeter AND Orient represent a style of football so superior to us we are hanging on for large parts of a game. Something is wrong. Just not clicking.

• Rubbish isn't? It’s the advertising boards, so bright it’s virtually impossible to see from one end to the other. When the Cherry Red Records ad shows I lose the Orient players and the ball!

• edited August 2023

This new fashion with goal kicks has me stumped.

Seems to me every team that does it is immediately under pressure on the edge of their own 6 yd box.

Maybe @ReturnToSenda could help me understand why everyone has started doing it over the 2 years 😊

• Like the look of Low and Leahy especially. Wingbacks poor defensively. Reason for their goal. Orient playing most of the football without looking too threatening. We seem to lack control and composure. Whether that’s confidence after two defeats. A game we can though.

• Wow, we really do love to moan about anything and everything.

• Easily the best league game of the season so far, I like the look of this side much better. Boyes and Phillips both impressive.

Very big side, ironically much taller than any Ainsworth 11 I can think of.

• Positives: Low, Leahy, Boyes, Taylor and a look of gelling every so slightly more than Lincoln (which to be fair, would only take a thin sheen of gel).

Negatives: Still struggle to look dangerous going forward, really undisciplined at the back.

• Boyes is excellent. Taylor will bang them in once he starts. Phillips looks good to me big, busy player. Some great potential in this side. Other opinions are available...as I can see already.

• edited August 2023

I'm struggling to think of a team at our level I've seen do it well. MK under Manning maybe. It's an effective way to build up, but most sides at this level can't play through a press well enough and just seem to end up punting it long anyway.

• Nah. He’s been covering KVY when he’s pulled out of position and has been doing a pretty good job of it.

• Sir Martin on the pitch at half time. Is there a parachute display?

• A big improvement I think. We look sharper and better in the tackle.

On the ball I still don't understand what we're trying to achieve. Huge gaps between the defence, midfield and attack, which means when we lift the ball forward it leaves us massively open if we don't win the first header.

It looked like we recruited to play passing football but Leahy and Phillips have hardly received the ball to feet from the 3 centre backs at all.

• Potts coming on at half-time

• Yes we are a bit disjointed but that will improve over the next few weeks as they train & play more together, going forward our off the ball movement has improved over the last 3 games & as Vokes & Taylor start to click this should reap rewards.

I am still worried about how much we are being forced to rely on Scowen to cover for the defence either those who are one paced (Taf) or those who over commit going forward (Grimmer). Low has absolutely made a difference, really looking forward to Forino playing alongside him, hopefully really soon.

Of the others Leahy has looked very good in front of Scowen, Boyes & KVY have been decent but since the knock Pillips has looked a little lost & short of fitness (though showed enough before that to offer real hope for the rest of the season). I suspect Potts will come on for Phillips either now or at 60mins.

• I can understand the plan not working because we're not gelling. But atm, I cant work out what the plan is

• Think we're a tiny bit lopsided, Grimmer can fill in for KVY easily and we don't have that on the left, whereas Leahy is everywhere and helps in a different way. Got caught out for the goal but had been largely pretty decent.

We were never going to go from dreadful to finished article immediately but plenty of good signs. Taylor needs a break, looking very Beavony.

• Shoutout to the blokes in the family stand who managed to get back into the ground with their half-time pints

• Fucking yes.

• We really do have some excellent players here with us this season, Potts looks so composed immediately.

• Orient Happeless

• Well this raises the stakes. Can we beat ten men?

• Anyone else think Toby Large takes a very long time to say things?

• Doesn’t look happy with that decision.

• Comms has gone again - second goal incoming?

• I would bring on De Barr earlier than the 80th minute tonight. With Orient down to 10 men his energy will cause chaos