Skip to content

Positives from today

1. Boyes looked good (my MOTM).
  2. Vincent-Young looked good.
  3. Leahy was in the midst of everything and clearly has leadership qualities.
  4. Max has saved 100% of the penalties faced this season.
  5. Taylor looks promising.
  6. We actually looked better in a second half.
  7. We are not bottom.

Any more?

Comments

• The toilets are actually alright now

• edited August 2023

0-0 for 80 minutes

• Potts looked good
    • No new injuries
    • The result wasn’t from a lack of effort
    • Minutes for Vokes, Forino and Scowen
  • Potts looked quality

Vincent-Young & Boyes are decent wing backs - we just need to use them properly

Forino looked good when he came on

Leahy was excellent & looked even better once Scowen came on (he was excellent too BTW)

Taylor showed lots of promise

Good to see Vokes & GMac get some minutes

• Strange to say it, but there were some positives out there. Individually the new players looked good, but they're not yet a team. The pre season injuries have clearly affected us and we've ended up having to give 7 players debuts which isn't ideal.

Might take a few weeks for it all to gel, but there's clearly some quality in the squad

• we aren’t QPR supporters!🤷‍♂️

• We're not Port Vale fans either

• I think we’ll be alright. It was a bit of a cold slap in the face but those are the lessons that you learn from ( metaphorically).

If we’d have started with the team we finished with we’d have won Matt was probably a little too eager to make wholesale changes.

When Scowen was introduced we started to gel

• There was a 20min spell where the wing backs started looking decent, Vokes was winning ball and Leahy showed what he was about.

Start the next game with the team that ended today and we'll be a lot nearer the proper article.

• Brave (foolhardy in hindsight?) of Matt to start almost all of the newbies. Potts, Taylor, Vincent-Young and Leahy looked like quality players. They are all good footballers, we just need MB to get them playing as a team. At points we were good but just slightly off the pace.

• There were no positives. Have we now lost our last 3 home games 8-0 against bang average sides?

Keogh signing looks appalling, Wing backs showed nothing, Breckin out of his depth.

Hopefully vokes, Scowen, Forino and GMac back in next week. Blooms blaming it on lack of fitness is a cop out IMO.

• Not seen him mentioned a lot but I thought Keogh looked good.

• First half the wing backs showed nothing. They barely got near the half way line.

In places in the second half though they showed a bit more.

• Didn't like the strategy in the first half of putting loads of ball through him. As if he's some kind of playmaker.

Bit worryingly slow too

• I was driving for the entire match so a bit hard to concentrate, but what I did see I was very impressed with Boyes’ crossing.

• edited August 2023

A lot of our attacking play seemed to consist of Keogh walking extremely slowly with the ball in our own half.

• That seemed the first half plan didn't it.

He has a strange tendency of looking like he's shanked the pass too, yet it going to his man.

But when @ReturnToSenda is analysing the stats later I bet he has a touch count higher than anyone

• I agree, I thought Keogh looked good, I’d make him captain as well.

• Hello all, newbie here ☺️☺️.

Just wanted to say I was actually quite impressed today… just one of those games unfortunately. No need to panic guys. Keogh will prove to be a brilliant signing.

Results don’t mean too much on opening day, I remember all those years in league one…. Norwich were beaten 7-1 at home to lowly Colchester and went on to win the league.

Now, let’s go put on those positivity pants and win this darn league!!

CHAIRBOYS!

• Keogh certainly seems to of been given the Quarterback role but our attacks were rather limp and lacking in any spark to break through. We were much better at using the width in the 2nd half but in the first looked so shell shocked when on the ball we gave Exeter all the time to regroup and set out a strong defence against us.

Some individual performances of promise but tactically an awful lot that needs to be addressed. Here's hoping we can fix it sharpish

• Definitely leadership material, but I would go with Scowen or Leahy as more likely to play every week.

• Yes that firm hard pass direct to one of our players who was able to control it took me by surprise as well. First time I thought he’d just over hit it but there were three or four similar passes and they looked quite effective

• Wheeler called one a disguised pass on the commentary.

• Only 3 points away from the playoffs

• Hehe, that did make me giggle. As you can’t be any further away from play offs either 😂😂. Im a ‘mug half full’ kind of guy too though, Kim.

CHAIRBOYS!

• Sorry people, I forgot to mention in my earlier post (probably to do with being new to posting rather than just scrolling through and maybe a couple of shandies I’ve had 🤪🤪) but I thought Breckin and Hanlan also had good games today. Showed lots of promise which we’ll definitely reap the rewards of going forward.

CHAIRBOYS!

• Breckin? he barely got a touch on the ball.

And Hanlan was pretty much man handled out of it and barely got a look in either.

• Breckin looked like he didn't want the ball.