Skip to content

Positives from today

Comments

• The thought of @AinsworthsSillyShoes spilling the long story about pining for his ex-wife has certainly put me off coming to the London meet-ups even if @bargepole is buying Sparts a beer.

• I used to work with a guy who collected narrow boat registration numbers, I could bring him along to get the evening going.

• Far too many positives have been claimed from a frankly terrible start to the season. We looked like relegation fodder and we need to turn it round.

Who are we going to ‘rest’ tomorrow night v MK?

Probably the worst of it was the decision to go ‘long ball’ after we went two down. That couldn’t and didn’t work with the front two we had on the park. Hanlan won so few of those headers and that made it easy for Exeter.

Lets hope for better away at Lincoln, I could see a few of the older lads getting a start.

• Exactly @Forest_Blue

Having said ‘they know what they will get’ against us. Well, they certainly did know what they were going to get.

Playing with a high back line and employing an excellent press we were on occasions forced into a long ball to the ineffective Hanlan.

The first goal goal was the result of a loose pass from Grimmer, which was a shame because I thought Jack was good but for that.

Goal two was another gift. I think it was leahy and Hanlan attacking the cross from a corner- normally Vokes territory.

Goal three was a bit unlucky. I think Keogh won his header but it ricocheted off possibly Leahy into the feet of the goal scorer.

Hopefully we start at full strength tonight with early subs to protect those that are not up to full speed. Surely we can’t afford to go in weak against a side full of confidence from Saturday.

Expecting a hard fought, narrow victory.

COYB

• Although people dismiss the league cup, and they'll do so even more against MK, you feel we need a cup run this season.

• Win tonight and it’s a key competition we need to do well in.

Lose and it’s a meaningless cup against meaningless opponents and the league is far more important.

• If we are to have a mid table season, then yes it gives us a couple of days out and keeps the interest.

I also think the last thing Blooms needs tonight is to go in weak and get beaten by lower league opposition

• edited August 2023

If you were Matt B, what would your starting 11 be?

• I like the look of that @Otter87 with opportunity for Potts, Young, TJ and Breckin to get a 30 minute run too

• In an ideal world, both Leahy, Scowen & McCleary come off after 60 mins or so for those mentioned. Potts can create something in midfield and scare MK for the last 30 mins, Young can get stuck in with a challenge or two and Breckin can feed off of Vokes and/or Taylor up front

• However, just going to throw this thought out there and there are a lot of variables on this but if Forino was involved tonight, could that knock some value off him from QPR as he'll then be cup-tied?

(That is on the impression that QPR might win but who knows!)

• Not sure QPR will want to progress in the cups this season. That squad is incredibly thin.

• Put him on the bench, if they are 3-0 down at half time he can come on with that unnafected, If he keeps being linked with them and it becomes obvious how much we want I wonder if anyone else might step in. Think we have to make use of him while he is still here anyway, especially with the chance that he leaves for nowt next year.

Hope we go with a strong team, need to bond a bit more before we start resting people, and a cup run could be a valuable and useful distraction.

• edited August 2023

Much as I am disappointed with the game and the result and much as I hate to suggest we are not relegation fodder after one game (@Forest_Blue 😉) you accept yourself @Mandown that the three goals were a unfortunate mistake by a good player, a gift and unlucky.

Stamp those out for the next 40 odd games and we might be able to avoid the drop.

• edited August 2023

I think it is a bit of a stretch to think that a players transfer value would be impacted by being cup tied in the League Cup.

If he is fit, play him to build match sharpness.

The more interesting one is Breckin. He struggled at the weekend. Is his mentality that he is chomping at the bit to get back out there and prove it was an aberration or has moving here and struggling affected his confidence and require him to be wrapped up in cotton wool for a bit.

• edited August 2023

Darius claims that Breckin reminds him of Bloomfield’s mentality, so here’s hoping he is chomping at the bit. I’d like to see him given another chance tonight - you want your Young forward-thinking players playing with confidence.

• Something tells me QPR won't be buying anyone until they work out if GA is staying or not. Three more games should suffice.

• What is? Boring a captive audience you've just met with your personal woes or taking the piss out of someone boring a captive audience you've just met with your personal woes?

• Next 4 games for QPR, Southampton, Ipswich, Middlesbrough and Sunderland. Could signal the end of Ainsworth.

• They've got Cardiff before that, but yeah, he's on borrowed time. Well, if they can afford to sack him.

• Oh well, if QPR do have enough bunce to get rid of four or five people, Gareth finally getting the sack from somewhere will please some of our fans. He'll soon find another berth. The question is will he be given the sort of time he got with us to fashion a side?

I am very surprised that their recruitment seems to have been so poor over the Summer. I suppose attracting players to a League One side regularly pushing for promotion on a low wage, is different from a struggling West London sleeping giant with the economic status of Albania.

• edited August 2023

Netflix's new QPR documentary: The Wycombe Man

• It would be interesting to know what’s going through the minds of Dobson, Hart and Waites at this particular time. It was always Ainsworth’s dream to manage QPR not their’s.

• The latter two are particularly vulnerable aren't they?

Although maybe they wouldn't have been safe with a new manager at our place, but at least Bloomy would have been familiar with their work.

The goalie coach who was unlucky to be moved on so quickly had an impossible battle. Competing with a guy who'd been at Wycombes and at Col Utd with Bloomy.

• Is it unrealistic to think Dobson could be back at WWFC this season?

• I think the non-Wycombe club that would most suit Ainsworth is Lincoln, if the job ever came up. He is a legend there, but their ethos seems to be a little similar to ours too.

• I'm sure they will look at their part in the progress if he does get the sack and most will probably want to follow him elsewhere.

Dobbo has denied this a few time btw, QPR fan, mates in the crowd etc, as for the others - where did they come from to get a chance (however brief it might end up) in the championship, and if they haven't got payoffs in their contracts they should have.