Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• Some pull into the garage and try and fill their cars up with fuel even though they have an EV. It's the last test of character before we decide if we want them or not

• Notably, it is never the fans of successful, big clubs like your Tottenhams or Man Citys who call us tinpot (to reference teams we have actually played recently), but rather the fans of badly run clubs who have nothing else to boast of but their stadium size.

• That Sunderland game at Wembley (only just over a year ago - feels so much longer) had a genuinely weird (for me) vibe from the moment i arrived at the ground until.... well round about September really.

I've never really been able to fathom it out, but I'm with @perfidious_albion - it was a different (and unique) feeling for some reason. It can't have been expectation (I always expect us to lose*) but it almost felt like we were gate-crashing someone else's party and then hiding out in the kitchen by the fridge.

*One notable exception was half-time against Preston at Wembley when despite being 2-1 down (I think) I just thought that the football we were playing that day was on a different level and we would go on to win comfortably.

• Have to say I agree with @perfidious_albion and @bookertease too. Bookertease summed it up with somehow gatecrashing someone else's party. Strange day.

• Yes, was a very weird day. It felt like it was over before it started. Totally different to the Southend play off final.

• I don't think even in our darkest hours of supporting Wycombe (47 and counting) I would have described us as tin-pot. Nothing to do with our performance in the play-offs (we didn't do ourselves justice for sure) but taking a following that was appropriate to our average following was totally fine by me.

• Perhaps I was just enjoying the day as I was watching Paul McCartney the last time we could actually go to a Wembley final.

• Mention of the Southend playoff final is a timely reminder of our true status as a EFL club. In the eight years since they beat us at Wembley, Southend have twice been relegated and are now in real danger of going out of business. We have appeared in two more playoff finals and had a season in the Championship.

• Absolutely @glasshalffull , as we walked away from the Southend shoot out I was sanguine at the loss. We just weren’t ready. As you say they are a basket case and a lesson to us all to be careful what we wish for.

• I think we would have won that game by a country mile with Ingram fit to play and Sam Saunders not getting injured after 30 seconds.

When you look at the previous posts you realise just how much fun we have had since the opening of AP some 33 years ago.

That amazing 33 year journey may well have been started by your chance meeting in a toilet with the great MON @glasshalffull . That could well have been the most fulfilling toilet break in the history of WWFC (The Chairboys).

• Coincidentally, I had lunch with Martin yesterday and we discussed some great (and some not-so-great!) memories from his time at Wycombe. He still has enormous affection for the club that launched his managerial career.

• Wouldn’t it be great to have him back in some advisory role. A great man and amazing manager.

• The Sunderland final was unfortunate in a lot of ways but just a different experience among many, I'm sure quite a few of us would have had a better day all round if it was just 4000 or so of our regulars going full pelt singing hearts out against the ridiculous numbers down the other end as we have with 200 people somewhere random up north on a Tuesday night but you can't blame those who don't come regularly for wanting to turn out on a big day or the club for wanting to maximize the income.

Wasn't really a special day for me but have to be proud we got there and have been in or near the playoffs for a while now.

Often wonder what else would attract 5000 people to an industrial estate in Wycombe regularly over decades. Apparently the Swan Theatre capacity is only just over a thousand, and their range of shows would mean it's largely different people each time, can't think of anything else.

• "Often wonder what else would attract 5000 people to an industrial estate in Wycombe regularly over decades"

Illegal raves

• Ah man, that would have been so much better than tribute bands in the SU bar

• When you compare our attendance at the Southend final with the Sunderland one, it shows just how much our potential fan base had dwindled in the 10 years up to 2015, and how much it has recovered/grown since.

• I was born within 400 yards of Loftus Road. Why do you think I moved?

• I felt like the media build up in the week before that game centred around Sunderland finally getting out of the League. That didn't help, neither did us giving them 2/3rds of the ground. Felt like we had wondered into their home. The players, for the first in a long time, looked like deers in headlights. I can only remember us having one actual chance,

• Mehmeti being injured in the run-in did not help, either. I think he would have gone down swinging, at least!

• He also managed Shepshed Charterhouse for a while but both those jobs were very much part time.

• Horrible place to drive in and out of. Marlow garden centre is better.

• Pete O'Rourke, normally a good tipster on Twitter, is claiming Reading might be in for Wing

• I liked Wing and when he hit that purple patch he was fantastic for us. Is he the kind of player to satisfy the cravings of QPR fans. I have my doubts. Probably get similar money at Reading, less attention?

• My impression was that it took him quite a while to get up to speed for us...a bit anonymous early on for me...not sure he'll get the sort of (trev aside) Wycombe patience for ten or so games higher up the pyramid or for those who do not trust in GA.

• edited July 2023

It would be funny if he went elsewhere just because of how many QPR fake ITKs have been announcing him as done. Also, how their fans have talked themselves into him as the answer while still insulting us. "Why are we going for ex-Wycombe players?" becomes even more awkward when it becomes "Why do ex-Wycombe players not want to come to us?"

• I think you’re probably right @Blue_since_1990 but, reading between the lines the things that were being said at the time, I’m pretty sure the general feeling within the club was that we were not ready to step up.

• That'd be really odd, especially bearing in mind their continual money issues.

• And I thought Wing wanted a move back up North yet the only 2 clubs in for him at a 30 mins drive away from us??