Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• Not sure why some fans are not so keen on De Barr. I really liked what I saw from him in the 2nd half of last season. Tenacious, good passer and direct. Got a good few assists despite not a huge number of games. Don't see him getting that many goals, but could be vital for linking up the midfield and forwards. Perhaps a more snappy, bustling version of Horgan.

• edited July 2023

A harsh little run of comments here about some of our younger players and upcoming stars?!!!

I agree that tj, Hanalan and Mellor are all not traditional number 9s.... most definitely not! But that doesn't mean they won't progress... doesn't mean they won't score lots of goals.... give loads of assists..

I'm hopefull of another traditional number 9 player coming in to ease the reliance on vokes....

all the above players compliment and give another offensive option to a fox in the box type player.

I like the contrast of 2 offerings up front.

Devine and McSporran were worlds apart in style.... but hell .... together they complimented eachother and if 2 players click.... magical things can happen

• He is a bit like Alex Samuel but like Alex, he is never going to be the fox in the box goalscorer we need and to be honest we have better players to link the midfield etc.

• As I have said before, I hope he proves me wrong as I will love it if he is a massive success.

Mellor certainly looks like a real possibility this season. I would still like us to sign a proven striker though but I appreciate they are hard to find.

• Definitely a promising start from Mellor. I have to confess he completely dropped off my player once he went out on loan, and it's almost like having a new signing with great potential.

• Would be delighted if he broke through like Beavon did. As no-one saw that coming.

• I think Hanlan should be considered a step above both those players.

He's shown he can be near unplayable at his best, whereas the other two have it all to prove, especially Mellor.

• Hanlan is not a younger player or an upcoming star. We paid a not insignificant chunk of cash for him. He’s 26. He’s scored 9 goals in 2 seasons.

A defence of him being in played in the wrong position is a criticism of the management who signed him and played him. Personally from the 2 seasons I’ve seen he’s not good enough to be a consistent threat.

• If they want to play they have to perform and score goals, simple as that, I think most people seem to like TJ and at least see where D'Mani and Hanlan could play a part but they have it all to do to persuade MB that we don't need anything additional. D'Mani is doing himself no harm so far but has a lot more to do.

Having brought in so many defensive options I'd be very surprised if a forward of some sort isn't in the pipeline.

• edited July 2023

With Vokes being out or held back btw it's difficult to judge the intent, think a few people commented last season that if we still see him as a target forward to launch at he'll need someone quick to work with his flick ons, If we were to add a traditional quick winger and cross a bit more he'll score more himself.

• I would suggest our more immediate need is more bodies in midfield, hence the need for JJ to play there today. Not sure on Wheeler's current fitness levels, but photos of him from the summer in a protective boot and no appearances yet in pre-season suggest he might not be fit for the first game.

If we currently have a starting 3 of Scowen, Leahy and Breckin then we certainly need more depth than just Young and Ward in the squad for back-up.

• Assuming QPR eventually get round to signing Forino, we'll need another centre back as well as a centre mid.

Especially if we are thinking about playing 3 at the back. Although at least JJ and Grimmer can slot in there.

• If we’ve got Taf, Grimmer, Keogh, Low, JJ plus McCarthy and Skura if needed, that’s probably enough to cover the defensive positions isn’t it?

We really don’t want to be paying players to sit around do we?

• Did we bring in Low as Forino's replacement already? If yes, then maybe you're right. If not, then it sounds like we'll need another.

• edited July 2023

We've barely got the numbers for a full matchday squad without really dipping into the devs - I think it's fair to say we'll bring a few more in yet!

• Personally, I would guess so.

Assuming a back three, I think we’re well covered for the central and right role. Taf starts if fit in the central role. If he’s injured either Low or Keogh come in.

The right hand side is one of Grimmer, Keogh or Low (or if we’re short McCarthy).

The left side position is a bit more difficult though. It looks like Keogh played there today (others who attended can maybe confirm), so basically it looks like it’s him or JJ for that role in a battle of the oldies.

So maybe if we do want to strengthen it might be for that left side position.

• Has Taf ever played the LCB role?

• He was playing it this afternoon! Low started RCB, Keogh in the middle and Taff LCB.

• Yes last season at some point with Mawson in the middle. It wasn’t great though as he’s just not very mobile.

Of course we could try again, but for me it’s the central role all day long for Taf.

• That’s useful to know. Will be interesting to see how that works out if we stick with it.

If it does work it certainly gives us more options.

• You’d worry a bit about a back three with Keogh and Taff in it against a side with a lot of pace up front. Even more if it was a back three of Keogh, Taff and JJ.

So maybe, to argue against my own post above, we do need another defender with a bit of pace who can play the left sided role of the three.

• edited July 2023

Forino has always played RCB, hasn’t he? And Tafazolli left or centre. Don’t recall JJ ever playing in central midfield. There must be a few out with knocks (or worse) currently.

More positively, that’s apparently the first time we’ve beaten Aldershot in a pre-season Friendly.

• @Alexo: try as I might I cannot get your post quoted here but you’re right, I am a cheeky sod. I hope you meant what I think you must have meant.

Most certainly so.

• New signing?

• Most certainly looks like it

• Transfer news.... get ready !

• We’re cooking on gas!