Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• O'Neill is God. Ainsworth is Jesus (Akinfenwa is the Holy Ghost) and you.....and you, sir.....are JUDAS!!!!!

• At least you called me sir.

• I also worked with a QPR fan and I gave him a lift to our home game with them some years back. It was the game where Andy Rammell absolutely battered them.

However, to my amazement the strange bloke I gave a lift to the game got in the car after the game and absolutely hammered into Wycombe saying we were useless and a tinpot club. It goes without saying he never ever got a lift from me again and I avoided him like a plague when back at work.

He was a right plonker and lived near Slough (Datchet). That experience of a QPR fan as lived with me ever since and I dislike them immensely.

• I've got a couple of really good mates who are QPR fans

Lovely blokes both of them

• My main work mate is a QPR fan, and he's a great bloke too

• edited July 2023

I heard there was a fourth QPR fan who was nice too. Somewhere down Chiswick way, I think.

• I work with a nice QPR fan. Her partner is a Hammer. So we were 'useless and tinpot' after winning for a few years before I moved here then @Blue_since_1990 ?

• My neighbour is a QPR fan and even if you didn't know him, you'd know as his van is plastered with QPR stickers (I wonder how difficult it's going to be to sell in a few years?)

Anyways, after QPR took GA away from us, he caught me in the street and clearly said that he has no trust at all in GA & Dobbo to do a job for them. Let just say that he and I aren't speaking at the moment.....

• Don’t understand the question but we have never been tinpot or useless. We have been an amazing little club before I started supporting Wycombe and ever since my first game at AP in 1990.

I still dislike QPR though.

• edited July 2023

Sorry if it appeared obtuse @Blue_since_1990 I was not suggesting we were. It has often been the case that once we have beaten a team in recent times (well since I've been here the last 14 years or so) opposition fans have lamented being beaten by a useless tinpot team as you quoted your passenger in your post above. I just commented on the fact that it seems we have been seen that way for quite a long period. I'll get my coat.

• This may be heresy but, as I’m amongst friends (!?) here I feel safe(ish) to share.

Never thought of us as ‘tin pot’ until the 2022 playoff final. Contrasting our unsold end bulked out by ‘day trippers’ who didn’t know the chants, the players names or possibly the off side rule vs the passion and total commitment of Sunderland fans at their end (and over shadowing part of ours!) brought home just where we fit into the pyramid.

Apologies if this offends but I feel the players felt this too and it contributed to our ‘no show’ on the day.

I’ll add my own👎 here to save everyone the bother.

• edited July 2023

Sunderland were more the outliers than us. I think their ground is the 8th biggest of any English club?

Having said that, we clearly are a small club overachieving.

• I generally don't like to downvote and I do recognise that view. I'd just say that the league table isn't measured by bums on seats, but I do agree that it may have felt like and away match for the Wycombe players that day.

Fans of well supported clubs do like to look down at lesser supported clubs. But why wouldn't they? Especially if fan numbers is all they have. Quality (of fans) cannot be measured but is more important than quantity IMHO. Also IMHO Wycombe has the highest quality of fans in the league.

• I don’t think comparing us with a huge, long established and well supported former PL club really addresses the issue. If you make a comparison with lower division clubs of a similar size then we fare very well. For instance, there are only four of the 48 clubs currently in Leagues 1 and 2 who have reached the semi finals of both the FA Cup and League Cup, viz Derby, Bolton,Wigan (all ex-PL) plus Wycombe. I hate the derogatory term ‘tin pot’ but if you consider our achievements - and that includes several appearances in the play offs - rather than the size and passion of our support, we have a modern history to be proud of.

• My wife went to a Roxy Music gig a few years ago and complained that a lot of the audience were there because they had money and wanted something to do. Oh Boy, this came back to haunt me in 2022 as the two blokes behind me at the play-off talked about Chelsea for 90 minutes and the woman and her kids next to me where more interested in eating popcorn than the game itself. At some point during the Roker Roar I told myself that we didn't really deserve to win this one. A very different feeling to when we played Oxford.

• Are we waiting for any Chris Forino money before completing / announcing any new signings

• How about watching booker garden centre rather than cressex filling station

• Well said and I also agree with your post about the difference between our ST and on-the-day prices which I admit I didn’t take into account.

• The dictionary definition of tin pot is: inferior, cheap, or worthless. paltry; unimportant.

I think it's actually become one of those words that fans of histroically tier 1 and 2 clubs use as begrudging praise to smaller clubs like ourselves. On paper and on history they should stuff us but they're so disappointed when they don't and we also won't roll over and have our tummies tickled.

Where I find it annoying is when a club of the same size and stature use it, except of course when there is good reason to belittle said club e.g. us calling Oxford, MK and Colchester tinpot is perfectly acceptable😂

• Tempting fate a little bit, but since automatic promotion from the conference was brought in we have probably made the most successful long-term transition from non-league to the Football League of any former non-league club.

To have done that without any seriously rich benefactor and for a significant period of that time supporter-owned is no small achievement.

We have every right to be proud of what our club has achieved throughout its history up to the present day.

• The only time I've felt we were tinpot was when we set off fireworks in broad daylight

• For all of those players who will sign for us and buy an apologetic plant for their partner.

"Hey Babe, I know I said I was going to make it big in the Footballing World and after lots of searching, I've found an amazing club called Wycombe. I know you have no idea where it is but they have a massive Primark and their ground isn't anywhere near the city so you don't need to come and see me play. I've brought you a (half-dead) plant to celebrate."

• I've never understood the large number of players who get within a few minutes of Adams Park and suddenly realise they're almost out of fuel. I suppose they're so excited they drive there at top speed and use up all the gas.

• I think supporting a smaller club is a much richer experience than a larger one. Just look at the ST party where some of you got to meet and greet the players. If this a PL club, it would be "Dear ST holder number 34,567. Enter your promotional code here for a chance to win a copy of a signed postcard from random squad player X'.

• Ah, you see those players who know the history of WWFC will be aware that's it's mandatory to stop in Cressex. Has nothing to do with filling up on petrol, they all drive EVs anyway, 😁.

• edited July 2023

You can stand in the tunnel at Man City and give Haaland a fistbump (other players are available). It costs £3,200 a game, though.

• @perfidious_albion I'm not sure what you were expecting that day to be fair...just 6,000 honest to goodness stalwarts in the right shade of quartered blue? I totally agree that Sunderland fans outnumbered and out-sang us...but you would expect that from a side who regularly get 30K for a league game. Like White Hart Lane, and every high profile Cup game, there were bound to be some Day Trippers. My brother came with me. He thought we lost because Sunderland were a better team. I didn't feel tinpot at all...It was Wycombe at Wembley...AGAIN!!!

• edited July 2023

Just to clarify, like many of us, I didn’t feel Tin Pot against Middlesborough, at Villa Park vs Pool, or as one of the 929 at Torquay, or at Wembley against Kidderminster, Runcorn, PNE or Southend, or at Stamford Bridge, The Valley, White Hart Lane etc etc - all fabulous experiences. Just something about the Sunderland game felt different, perhaps a false level of expectation and new found status?

But to go back to the debate re attendances that prompted my earlier post, to have done all that yet still not be able to attract a bigger, more committed fan base, perhaps just perhaps affirms the accusations of some opposition fans that we are ‘little Wycombe’. An epithet that we revel in when it suits.