Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• edited April 2023

I think you might be onto an interesting game show idea

• Up there with one of the worst performances I have seen in 25 years at AP.

Unless something miraculous happens I think we will be looking for a new manager by October.

• It was the worst performance I’ve seen this season because of the lack of motivation shown by some of the players .

Blooms has a lot of work to do fingers crossed for next season.

• For some reason, @ChasHarps’ comment about Tafazolli’s performance won’t copy down. His style and attitude - Tafazolli’s, not @ChasHarps’ - often seem diametrically opposed to Forino’s. The latter seems quicker (in thought and deed) and more incisive. His determination to win the ball and to retain it when in possession stand out and almost certainly are one of the reasons why he incurs rather too many injuries. But Tafazolli’s injury record is fairly similar I think (but, please, no statistics) despite his more laid back approach. Has any other League 1 defence managed the number permutations ours has this season? It’s been extraordinary.

• Happy we have re-signed a lot of the players we have, but still nervous that Mehmeti may have been covering a multitude of sins going forward with his dynamism.

• But have we given out contracts too soon?

• That was unrecognisable as a Wycombe Wanderers performance.

• I am fine with who we re-signed - Scowen and Max absolute necessities, and "glue guys" like Wheeler and Grimmer. We are still short, especially going forward, though.

• Terrible day. Only thing to be said for it is @davecz (club legend) is back to his best. Question is is it him or the players to blame? Not good enough. None of them should pull-on the shirt again. Over to @trevor for more in depth analysis.. Have a good summer everyone...at least I can avoid watching the Pompey game!

• When GA left, we were on a run of 5 consecutive wins.

Since then, we have P14 W4 D3 L7, Goals for 13, Goals against 21.

15 points from 14 games is 1.07 PPG, which equates to 49 points over the season. On that form, we'd be struggling to stay above the dotted line next season.

We seem to have lost any form of cutting edge in attack, and are playing a hybrid of ground passing, and firing long balls upfield, and doing neither particularly well.

So something has to change, either the style of play, or new player signings this summer, or the manager.

• I think my least favourite tactic of “the new style” is passing around at the back for a bit, then thumping it long anyway.

This is exactly the kind of thing that @bluntphil has always railed against in the commentary, and with good reason.

I just hope we don’t put in a showing like that next week, apparently the WWFC Spanish branch is sending over an 100-strong delegation to witness the final game of the season, and it would be truly dreadful if they came all that way only to witness a dog’s dinner like we saw today.

• In my 30+ years as a Season Ticket holder, this was most likely the worse performance I have seen. I am aware that the result would no affect our league position and that we had missed the playoffs. That withstanding, the players should still have preformed. They turned up for the salaries, but forgot that the supporters who provide funds in the form of match tickets also turned up - to see a football match. Football is about teamwork, the team certainly did not WORK today. Enjoy your break, playing like that next season and you will find supporters will soon disappear. COYB

• I generally dislike post match, knee jerk comments like "that was the worst performance in years"... however, I genuinely think that was the worst performance in years.

The players just seemed completely disinterested and that's not like us at all. It may be a meaningless match in terms of the season, but we need to see a reaction at Portsmouth. Today was way short of acceptable.

• He wasn't helped in the second half by what can only be described as one of the all time worst tactical subs, leaving him as the left sided defender in a 3, with zero cover on the wing.

We were already losing the game, but those subs sealed it.

• I think the "only choice" for manager crew have long disappeared to be honest.

However, this season is pretty much done, we've made our decision, and we'll see what we can do in the summer.

We definitely need a proper period off, a re think, some recruitment and as that loathsome scouser once said to "go again".

• Still trying to figure out why we lumped balls up to Vokes battling against 3 giant centre backs for 90 mins

• We didn't just lump balls up to Vokes, we lumped them 8 feet up in the air so the guy stood no chance of a knock down.

Shambolic and embarrassing performance all round.

• It is perfectly reasonable for fans to expect

a) players to be professional in attitude

b) them to put in 100% effort each game

c) someone to show some fucking leadership on the field

Sadly today too many of the players failed at all 3 which is frankly unacceptable

• I assume the players were following instructions!

• There is no excuse for lack of effort, but sadly that's what we saw from some individuals today.

Ultimately its individuals who acted so unprofessionally today to take responsibility, but I fear for our manager, for the blatant lack of respect they showed him today.

• I wasn't at the game, but @Shev's jelly comment had me in stitches. @ReturnToSenda - it certainly would be an interesting slant on that wonderfully awful game show!

If it's any consolation to those who went today, I watched the live stream of the final game of the current world chess championship. It ended in a draw after six and bit hours of play, so the contest ended tied 7-7.

The equivalent of a penalty shoot out is on tomorrow for those intrigued!!

• This was nothing more than a friendly, couldn't care less about it.

But what I do care about is seeing "mk dons" relegated. And what a glorious collapse we witnessed today to keep them in trouble. Once our season finished I became a Cambridge supporter and I expect all true Wanderers to have done the same.

• Please tell me you're referring to Hole in the Wall...

• edited April 2023

I'm struggling to think of too many worse performances from WWFC in recent times, that was up there with when the wheels fell of the wagon at end of Waddock's reign in 2012. At least the many of the players playing from us then could at least plead an insurmountable lack of talent as a mitigating factor.

I don't know if it's too simplistic to say the early contract renewals have bred a subconsciously complacent attitudent, but that display was simply unacceptable. No wonder the usually ebullient Phil Catchpole was described as sounding sombre, that was excruciating viewing. How Bloomfield deals with this and ensures standards are upheld may, even at this early stage, make or break his tenure.

• It seemed a curious decision to play the young keeper today, but apart from that, you couldn't really fault the rest of the starting lineup.

It seemed a bit loose at times, like when Forino absolutely smashed a pass to Tafa 10 yards away, who miscontrolled it, and gave the ball away needlessly.

But until Gape again, needlessly gave a pen away it was fairly equal sort of stuff. Our shot count was actually higher than you'd believe looking at the stats at the time.

But those tactical changes just utterly threw it away. And best forgotten really.

Fair play to those who will go next week, seems a thankless task.

• Bloomfield looked embarrassed & sounded incredibly flat & sombre in his post match with @bluntphil

He did explain why he started Cartwright (who was ok apart from the error for their third) & Gape (the need to assess his progress following return from injury) which all makes sense. He seemed to be struggling to understand, far less explain, the shit show that was the second half.

• I agree. I wonder if the return was too soon- not because he lacks the ability to manage but because, although he coached us, he was still one of the players in the minds of the others. Gaz struggled with that and it nearly cost us dearly. Then he had time to clear out some players and bring in his own leaders. Blooms needs time to do so and hopefully Rob will give him that and Blooms has the staff to spot the players out there who will become his generals.

• I was thinking the same about the contracts. If you look at Mo Salah's performaces after he signed his huge deal they really dropped off. Slightly different money involved here (!) but if you know you are secure in the managers plans regardless of performance, and you go into the game knowing the result doesn't matter much, how can it not have an impact.

• Blaming Matt Bloomfield is one thing but he can’t be responsible for the performances of some of the players out there. Hanlan’s decision to strap pyramids all over his legs would explain his control, he would be out of his depth in the national league today. McCarthy’s fear of crosses is ironic. Campbell thinks he paid on each player he beats, the only reason he keeps going back and beating the same player over and over (before losing it). Tafazoli missing 2 golden chances. I could go on and on and on.

The worrying thing is the lack of tactical change when it was obvious to everyone that Vokes was ineffective and players were incapable of getting the ball from him.

There are no positives from today. This season needs to end. Some players need to go or be moved on. Some fire needs to be put under these guys. Some honest conversations need to be had.