Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• So we need somebody comfortable in league one who is emotional and causes chaos?

• I thought I’d sleep on it before posting to see if a little time and perspective makes me feel any better about yesterday’s ‘performance’.

The short answer is no.

We peaked at 3-4 minutes when we actually put together a decent move but that was pretty much it.

The most disappointing thing for me is how quickly we’ve gone from being a team that I’m sure no opposition looked forward to playing to one where opposing managers and players must be licking their lips.

As others have mentioned, I do wonder whether the early extensions of contracts has inadvertently helped take the edge off some of our players.

Looking for some positives though, the willingness of good players to renew their contracts under MB suggests that they do want to play for him and therefore have faith in his abilities as a manager.

MB also demonstrated (briefly) at Colchester that he could develop a team that won matches.

The coming pre-season will probably be the most important for years. Somehow MB has to find a system that works, that the players are comfortable in and that occasionally creates the opportunity for us to attempt to score a goal.

If we are not ready and acclimatised by the first league game of the season I have an uncomfortable feeling that our interest in the table this time next season will be very much more towards the bottom end.

• Yesterday was dreadful and it has been for a while. The only win we've had at home recently was Forest Green and we made hard work of that. The football has been dull and we have barely tested the keeper in the last two home games and seem lethargic and disinterested.

• It's hard replacing a GOAT manager. Moyes and Emery know what I'm talking about.

• Poor old Anis isn’t even getting on Bristol City’s bench at the moment... oh for a season-long loan!

• Pathetic, embarrassed not good enough. All three of these terms could be used for Wycombe Wanderers hospitality yesterday. Two friends down from Scotland to watch Wycom e and we were treated to food that ran out, poor selection of food, dirty toilets etc. Add to that one of the worst games that i have seen in a long time well beaten by the better team who lost to Oxford 4 nil mid week and you are left with a bad taste in the mouth. Needless to say,they won't be back again.

• Had a night to sleep on it and watch the highlights so feel I can be a bit more objective.

Feck me that was terrible. We are in deep sh1t

• edited April 2023

Stryjek, Grimmer, Wheeler, Freeman and/or Wing.

Anyone else reckon the performance and result yesterday would probably have been different if those four/five had been playing from the start ? (Yes, I know Grimmer was unavailable because of the concussion protocol. I’m clutching at straws and talking purely hypothetically and with an eye on Fratton Park.)

I was tempted to add Ward to the above list of alternative starters and, from what we saw of him yesterday, that wouldn’t have been a bad shout.

The other huge factor of course is the extent to which the players buy in to what appears to be MB’s slightly different philosophy. The QPR result yesterday with 20% possession has certainly put a doubt in my mind.

I hope “Blooms” will come clean and admit that some poor decisions were made yesterday and that he and his team will learn from those mistakes. He may already have done so when he addressed fans in the Caledonian Suite after the match. I don’t know.

I have my own ideas on who the famous five in the first paragraph would have replaced but will leave that open for debate.

• The whole food situation at the ground is becoming increasingly embarrassing, especially when you get to away games and see what other clubs can manage to offer, for much less as well.

How come we never get asked how our match day experience was any more ?

• The catering contract is coming to an end, so they are hardly motivated to put on a spread.

The beautiful big bog (or whatever comedic name they go by) aren’t even in the first flush of their tenure in yet.

Pete is still sulking so the bbq guy has probably had the rug pulled.

The pitch people have learnt a lesson and perhaps want money up front.

Rob, for all his court room filibustering, is in over his head with football financing.

And Mr Meticulous isn’t Wild Thing.

But JMac has re signed so we will be just fine.

• We need a clear out of some of these players. I over estimated a lot of them and when you look at the other EFL teams highlights even, you can see that there are some really good players at this level. We have become too comfortable and too soft and blindly give out contracts to players as that is the easy route.

We are certainly at a crossroads and what worries me is if Blooms doesn’t get this right, will the Couhigs have enough football knowledge to change things quickly.

• I'm sure we all feared it to an extent, but it is remarkable quite how dramatically everything has gone to shit.

• edited April 2023

I hope Tafazolli has played his last game for us - he could hardly have made it any more obvious he doesn't want to be here.

• I missed it as tbh I couldn't wait to get out and have a drink after that. But just seen on twitter that apparently he didn't pose for any photos or do autographs during the lap afterwards and was first down the tunnel

• edited April 2023

Times they are a-changing

Been a while since we have had a player who has become the internet boo-boy to pile onto.

Timing a bit off one game before end of season though.

• For the record @DevC Taff had been my ‘boo’ since he first arrived. I got dogs abuse back in the day for saying I’d seen milk turn quicker. Apparently he is Championship standard! Mmm, we’ll see who wants the glass show pony.

• Taff actually went round the whole pitch at the end of the game clapping all the supporters who were still there and gesturing as if to apologise for what we'd just watched

He's a great player, I hope he's still here next season

• Only at Wycombe would a fan lay claim for being the first to dislike a player and wear it like a badge of honour

The absolute fucking state of you

• He's a great player when he can be arsed, which we can't afford.

• Lazy analysis. I expect better from you

• I find it incredibly frustrating that Blooms has tried to reinvent the wheel. Surely all he needed to do was stick with Ainsworth's methods, at least to start with.

• Yeah, he's injury prone and not the most consistent but the idea he's trying any less than anyone else seems to be based on the fact he uses Instagram.

• It's based on the fact he's regularly caught falling asleep at the back

• But that combined with how interested he seems to be in promoting himself isn't the best look

• The myth that Tafaslowly is Championship quality comes from god knows where ?

He only played 15 games at a relegated Hull City, who then made him surplus to their requirements, before he joined us.

Get him off our wage bill ASAP.

• More overpromising from Bobby C before the game yesterday? https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1652361198669627394

• Calm down son you’ll do yourself a mischief.

No badge of honour old luv, just correcting Devs assertion that the Gasroom had suddenly turned on Revesazoli.