Skip to content

Match day thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• A shot!

• Four subs all starting with 'W'.

That's something, I suppose.

• Our form under Bloomfield is just not good enough . Clearly following Ainsworth was a tough ask but the appointment of him seems to have been made with the heart as opposed to the head. If we had appointed someone different and they achieved what Bloomfield has done in his run of games , they would be getting all sort of abuse and stick. Clearly as a club legend , he is going to be given some time but he needs to start next season far better than his current set of results. From my perspective, the jury is still out whether he is the man for the job.

• Is Bloomfield the div 1 version of lampard

• Even Phil sounds fed up today

• I strongly felt Bloomfield was the right appointment at the time and continue to do so. He was doing well at Colchester, and provides continuity of culture that is vital. Just because things haven’t gone great so far, or even might not work out next season, doesn’t make it a bad decision to appoint him.

• 'Club legend' status shouldn't dictate whether or not a manager gets time, but that's precisely the problem with a sentimental appointment.

• That's the point of the context of it, which is fine. He should be given a lot of time, as the playoff push was always going to be tough when GA left.

I think if we had any other manager at this point and had taken us to this position, he'd be getting stick, but we shouldn't be calling for their head.

It's been an awful game, but there's nothing wrong with giving a manager time.

• Despite the dreadful disjointed performance today & a howler from Cartwright for their third, I am more than happy to keep faith in Bloomfield & his team & give them time over the close season to coach their style & philosophy into the squad.

The truly disappointing thing about today was the lack of fight for the badge & the fans as well as the inability of anyone in the quarters to stamp their presence on the game.

• dreadful

• Not good enough as a manager cheap option playing on fans gullible attitude need somoene else.

• Who knew there is a beach in Bucks?

• And let's remember how GA turned it around after a dreadful start. Things haven't got that bad. It's been a dire few weeks, but lets get the season ended before we call for heads to roll

• Football's biggest problem is the desire for instant results from new management appointments, managers need time to get a squad on their side, impart their ideas & style to the squad & mould that squad.

As a fan I am happy for a new manager to get time, what I am not happy to see is players giving less than 100% effort on the pitch. I am not childish enough to expect a win every week (despite my score predictions) & appreciate that the last 4 seasons have been the most successful in the 49 years I have followed the blues.

• Another long quiet journey home, we looked like a team who are scared to pass and move or run with the ball. Worst game of the season.

• A really worrying performance. Clueless. Heartless. Technically inept. Players seem to not be playing for each other. No positives at all.

Bloomfield has a job on his hands or else this is going to end in tears.

And before anyone says nothing game I couldn’t disagree more. We pay to see better than that. You expect better than that and if the players think that’s ok to perform like that for the manager then we gave out some contracts too early.

• Completely outplayed and outfought. McCleary told a fan to "f off" during injury time and the stadium left almost empty for the lap of honour. What a terrible end to the season.

• What worries me in this run under Bloomfield, is in many games, the lack of passion ,heart and lack of fighting for the badge. We may not have the best players which I can accept but not to give 100% is unacceptable. Who’s to blame manager or players.

• That was absolutely dire. I’ve never left a game early before, but that was bad enough to be my first (admittedly I only had to travel from Vipienne, but still). The comedy howler from the keeper was the final straw (and no, I don’t blame him, these things happen, but still…).

I went to the 4-0 drubbing at Portman Road too, but that was against a better side, which made it slightly less shameful.

Have to keep some perspective as it’s a dead rubber, but MB has a lot of work to do. No kneejerk reactions, and give the man time, but we just can’t be as poor as we were today on a regular basis.

• Was that the most disappointing performance of the season?

”most definitely so”

• I don't know whether Tafazoli knows he is going, but his performance was absolutely pathetic.

I would play a player out of position than have to witness him strolling around at a snails pace.

The fact that no one can quite see what Bloomfields footballing ideology is, what's more concerning is that he could not get a professional performance out of them today.

• edited April 2023

Roll on next season.

More than a little worried that we're struggling against teams who are lower midtable.

And that we can't win on a weekend.

We need a real rethink and a couple of game changing signings as right now even the extremist positive types can't pretend we can finish than midtable next season.

• edited April 2023

I agree with those sentiments.

I’ve only heard one post-match, post defeat interview with @bluntphil. The tone was low key (understandably in the circumstances) but also seemed disturbingly sombre.

GA is nothing (well, a lot less ) if not a motivator and you’d like to think some of that would have rubbed off on MB during their decade plus together.

But, to be fair, we don’t know what kind of tone MB sets with players behind the scenes. I’ve not been able to observe his pitch-side demeanour during matches but a comment on here recently suggested that he is considerably less animated than his predecessor. Up to a point that is hardly surprising! He is very much his own man and cannot be expected to perform like some sort of GA tribute act.

Let’s hope MB’s own approach, a few personnel changes and a better understanding by the players of what he is seeking to achieve will combine to restore the spirit, unity of purpose and general positivity to which we’ve become accustomed over recent years.

• Taxi for Taffazolli. Please leave now. Your lack of any kind of performance was a total embarrassment.

MB Should have hauled him off at half time.

Matty get a grip don't let players take the piss

• I have every possibility of losing a foot in the future and I would still be more mobile and certainly more passionate than taffazoli

• Absolute rubbish. One shot and no pattern, no passion and no effort. This was the worst Wycombe performance in my 33 years of watching the team.

I know the rose coloured glasses crew will come on here and come out with rubbish like we are in transition but there was simply no passion at all. Shameful.

The underlying thing for me is that Bloomers failed to get the team going on our final home game.

• The team has got progressively worse as each week has passed since GA left.

We are now much less than the sum of our parts which is very worrying and not something we’ve been able to say for nearly a decade now.

• Totally agree, it showed real weak management, that he was allowed to continue to stroll around the park.

I sense either Bloomfield gets a grip quickly or Bobby Couhig will make a decision.

• The ran through brick walls for GA - looks like they won't even run through jelly for Matty, unfortunately.

Maybe we can apply for every game to be midweek next season?

• Oh, there was *one* positive from today: I chose to go for a loo break right around the time Alfie Bloody May (to give him his full title) was scoring. Every cloud, etc