Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• edited April 2023

Crikey! I must have hit @LX1’s vodka harder than I thought.

• We completely ran out of steam that game, gave our all to the first half, treading water in the second. But I didn’t care because we had terrified Villa for 45 minutes. Much more fun than the cup game where we beat them a few seasons ago.

• Did you leave early?

It was one of those games literally everything went in and impossible to forget 8-3

• I would rather lose every week and play possession based attacking football, preferably with a couple of mavericks who haven’t been to bed the night before in the side.

But that’s just me

• edited April 2023

Look at Man City’s first goal last night. Arsenal pressing like bees round a honeypot, so to avoid the risk of twatting around at the back, they lump it long out of defence. Some blonde guy picks it up and passes it out to his right, where some European guy passes it into the corner of the net. One of the most direct goals you’ll ever see, executed by two of the best players in the world. Beautiful football. But do that in League One and you just get yourselves a label.

(Apologies to @ReturnToSenda who I just noticed has made the same point, much more succinctly, on another thread...)

• Personally I like fast, attacking, direct football.

Tbh Ive found a few of our more recent games when we've just passed it around and been more tippy tippy a bit boring

• I get confused as it seems we need to play exciting football and we don't have to win, but if we don't it shows the manager has no idea how to play more aggressively to win games.

• I didn’t. I only left early about three times in 17 seasons at Adams Park. Had to rush home, prepare and eat a meal and change into a dinner suit and dickie bow for 6.30 pm start (ushering) at the Swan theatre.

Happy days.

Was that one of the games where you were actually happy to leave early because your mate had to (or chose to) ?

• It was the fact that under Gorman, every single time we got the ball everyone thought we would score. There's nothing more exciting in football. I wouldn't mind the direct approach so much if it was that thrilling, but it's not, the ball just comes straight back at us.

I noticed in a lot of second halves this season opposition teams worked out a clever way of entirely nullifying our long balls - let Wycombe hoof it, collect the ball easily, wait 30 seconds while the half the Wycombe team runs at them and then break in numbers toward the one or two Wycombe players who'd stayed back. That tactic accounted for so many of this season's second half conceded goals.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited April 2023

Curious to know whether anyone has seen the incident where Grimmer got pole-axed again online? Looked pretty brutal and a clear sending off from the terrace, did the ref get it right after all though?

• Stood on the Terrace, 1 goal (Villa’s 1st) at the home end , 10 goals, in the distance at the away end.

David O’Leary would've been sacked after that game if Wycombe had shut up shop 2nd half, instead we went for a 4th, and Sergio hit the post.

• i am also interested that there has been very little mention of the incident at the start of the second half where one of their players appeared to take out Wheeler. It looked deliberate and equally as bad as the Grimmer one to me.

• On another note I hope @trevor is okay. Thought he’d be suitably vocal after saturday

• And Blooms missed a great chance at 3-1 didn't he? Through on goal and hit it straight at the keeper.

• edited April 2023

There's been no mention of that incident. But yeah, looked an assault to me, I was stunned the ref didn't produce a red card. The ball was gone and the no.9 just crashed into Grimmer with arm raised. I was surprised no-one asked Bloomfield about it afterwards. Didn't see the one on Wheeler so clearly, but he was incensed by the challenge on him at the start of the 2nd half, I've rarely seen him react like that. Lincoln certainly didn't shy away from a physical challenge, personally I thought the referee was very lenient with them.

• edited April 2023

Well remembered.

A curious arrangement where loosely speaking a "family friend" about 60 years older used to give me a lift (for a fee!), but only on the understanding he wouldn't wait if I wasn't at Pick up Point A at the agreed time (once just drove through leaving me stranded), and that he left when he fancied (which was always on about 85!)

But no, I sucked up the bitter end of that 8-3!

• You and probably 99.999% of football watchers.

I can't imagine many are on some other forum saying

"well, I prefer slow, defensive, indirect football"

• Wheeler was elbowed in the back right in front of the lino (and the Beechdean). He was indeed incensed and unlike his usual self kept berating said lino about it. They certainly gave us a clattering.

• He sounds delightful. I’m guessing no longer with us.

• edited April 2023

Decent fella, very memorable! But yes, not around any more.

I should add the early leave was necessity as he had mobility issues and parked behind the away stand, meaning a swift exit was imperative if you didn't want an hour delay.

At times I went into the family stand but other times I had to keep an eye out from the terrace and run round!

• @Ed_ I did very purposely go to this point on the full match replay. It was weird. Plange runs relatively slowly at Grimmer as Grimmer goes to head the ball. Plange gets there late and plants his forearm on Grimmer's head/neck. Grimmer is focussed on the ball and doesn't know the blow is coming. The arm is not swinging. It is bent at the elbow. The ref appears to have a clear sightline and is pretty close.

I hadn't had the best view from the terrace, but two things struck me in the replay: first that the Wycombe players did not show the outrage (no doubt some of it historically confected) directly at Plange that I would have expected in the Ainsworth era; secondly that the yellow card seemed an astonishing decision from the ref. I did wonder if the first of these had a bearing on the second. But if a player very deliberately strikes an opponent's head/neck with a forearm surely that's a red card? JJ rightly got a retrospective ban equivalent to a red card for putting hands on an opponent's throat at Forest Green, though no great harm was done. This was by any yardstick a worse offence and I don't suppose we'll be seeing Grimmer tomorrow, given the concussion protocols.

Maybe the ref just didn't see it.

• Impossible for the ref and linesmen to see every incident clearly . If only there was some way technology could be harnassed to quickly show him pictures of what happened and then let him make an informed decision on key calls.....

(the thumbs down button is at the bottom of the screen.....)

• Think it was confirmed yesterday that Grimmer won't play again this season

• The fact that the ref saw the incident and gave a yellow card, I suspect means they can't be any retrospective action. It was indeed a curious decision though. It seemed as blatant a red card as you can get, but the ref was very quick with the yellow. I'm just so surprised, especially with the news that Grimmer won't play again this season due to concussion he sustained, that the incident wasn't even mentioned post match.

• There was only one apt description for Plange's challenge.

Cowardly.

Even in contact sport like rugby that challenge would have been a red card, the ref failed miserably.

• Absolutely agree, and as mentioned above the challenge on Wheels at the start of the second half was so blatant but missed by the officials. Wheels is a calm, intelligent young man but I’ve never seen him so angry and he had every reason to be.

• He booked him!

Are you suggesting he booked him for something he did not see?

• I'm not sure there was ever mass storming into a player in the Ainsworth days was there?

But there were numerous mass sprint ins at the ref to try and influence him? We still had a bit of that for this incident.

• Bayo got sent off in his first match for us for steaming in after a bad challenge.

• I wonder if they were so shocked by the officials, they were all a bit wary of being sent off themselves if they waded in.