Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• Fair enough we’ll see where he ends up after Wycombe. I assume he’ll follow the path of Kashket and Samuel - nothing worth shouting about

• Really? So you actually think we have shown anything? Deluded

• One thing we really must do better next season is playing from losing positions. At 1-0 down I felt that there was a fair chance that the game was already over unless we hit back instantly.

• A load of old tat. Will this game ever end?

• He scored in Gaz's last game. It ended when he left

• To be fair to Lincoln they have performed better than us & had a clear game plan that they executed well, we on the other hand still seem to be stuck in that transition from Ainsworths style & image to Blooms style & are ending up being fairly toothless & lacking in cutting edge.

As I have mentioned more times than I care to remember we are realistically a bottom half of the table L1 club who have in the last 4-5 years punched above our weight significantly. Finishing in the top 10 is honestly an over achievement for us & we should be immensly proud of what the team have done (it is after all the 4th highest position in our history).

Blooms with the Couhigs has secured a decent core of a team for next season & he has the opportunity now to put his stamp on the team in the summer transfer window & pre-season build up. Let's give him & his squad the opportunity to develop & see what they deliver next season.

• Pompey away anyone?

• I'll be there! I will be clapping this team off the pitch no matter what - it has been a difficult season in so many ways, but they somehow were in it until two games to go.

• A really poor performance. Continued with the same game plan from minute 1 to minute 105 regardless of whether it worked or clearly didn’t. Lobbing balls into the box with no effort to win second balls was just madness. The amount of times it fell to a defender was more than luck. Vokes was isolated and they just saw it and lapped it up.

Manager or players to blame it’s hard to tell.

• Not great today, The trials of this season have been well documented, Matt B hasn't set the world alight yet but he's got a good look at everyone,will need a few new players in over the summer to suit his aims and we start again largely punching above our weight.

• 🤔 127 posts to read, I don't think I'll bother.

• Far too sensible!

I think your point about the transition between styles is spot on. I think Blooms wants to play quite differently from GA, but so far has lacked the time/players/self belief(?) to implement his vision. We have lots of non-threatening possession very possibly because our midfield aren't entirely sure what they should be doing when they get the ball.

• Disappointing game.

Feels like a few years ago, the season we ended up with chasing long balls to Hayes and Thompson where it was clear we needed a rethink.

Hope there a couple of game changing signings in mind as while it's nice signing the familiar, the familiar has missed the playoffs.

• Wing has unfortunately been ineffective for the last half dozen games. 95% pass completion just goes to prove the old lies damn lies and statistics mantra

• I think it’s far too soon to even dream that we will be largely punching above our weight next season. As a coach/manager here for virtually the whole of this season, MB has certainly been able to have a good look at everyone but who knows how much he likes what he sees.

The ins and outs over the next three months will certainly be interesting. One or two fan favourites may now be looking elsewhere.

• Yep, I'm surprised that anyone thinks you can judge who had a good game just from a single stat!

• Remind me, outside of Taf and GMaC, which fans favourites aren’t already signed up for next year?

• Is everyone enjoying the better football we are playing

• Lethargic!!!

• Championship No. League 2 on that performance probably.

• Lincoln took their chance and then went with a flat back five. Those defenders probably never even crossed the half way line after their first goal.

Then we are trying to break down a well organized, packed defence. And frankly we aren’t very good at that as it needs pace and/or trickery up top to break that down. McCleary aside, I don’t think we offered much of either today and we resorted to long diagonal balls for 90+ minutes.

All in all a very disappointing watch.

And didn’t Lincoln look young in comparison to the age of our starting 11? We need t some fresh players next season if we are to challenge higher up the table. The same squad will produce the same result (or lower).

• Much of the same. Passing around the midfield and defence without any intensity or plan to carve out chances. Couple that with yet more defensive errors and here we are.

It felt a continuation of Tuesday in truth. Some saw that a positive performance but in reality Cambridge were wasteful in front of goal and should have at least claimed a draw.

We had a fantastic middle of the season, bookended by a very poor start and end.

The rebuilding starts now. We need to trust (hope) that the half a dozen or so players I expect MB to bring in can fit his style of player and turn it into a winning one.

• I’m happy to give Bloomfield some time to shape the team and try to build a winning strategy. Nonetheless, I can only call it as I see it, and what I have seen thus far has been absolutely dreadful. Mind-numbingly dull football, which seems to involve us knocking it slowly from side to side, before playing a 50 yard diagonal and losing the ball.

Blooms was unlucky with injuries when he took the job. But we had a decent side out today. That was close to our strongest 11 today and yet we barely managed a shot on target.

Perhaps my biggest concern is that we don’t really seem to have any sort of fight in the team and appear to be quite soft all of a sudden. When Grimmer was wiped out in a disgracefully poor challenge from their no. 9 we ought to have had 3-4 players flying in to let them know we weren’t going to sit back and take that kind of shit. As it was, a couple of people moaned at the ref but that was about it. Something like that would not have happened a year ago with someone like Bayo in the team. I fear we’ll get bullied next season if we don’t address the malaise over the summer.

• @Erroll_Sims I don't get the theory that we are realistically a bottom half of League One team when we have been at the top end of League One for three seasons.

• With all the excitement of the re-signing players I’ve lost track of how many squad spaces we are going to have to allow Matt to begin his squad build.

I’d be happy to keep Willis in defence and see his major task is finding strikers who score goals. Vokes must be exhausted after today and no result as he didn’t have a striker to work with.

• Whilst we looked too lethargic today I must say that the appalling referee was a disgrace. The assault on Jack was only a few yards from him. He brandished the yellow card fat too quickly without taking into account the injury that the thug Lange had caused.

In rugby head contact with head or hand is a straight red

To add insult to injury when the thug kicked the ball away he did nothing.

He had the opportunity to put his incompetence right.

The ref was so bad it took him numerous attempts to start the game.

I don't like losing but these officious imbeciles should not be allowed near a football pitch.