Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• An absolutely astounding sequence of results. Automatic promotion form sustained over a longer period than I realised at the time although it would obviously have needed to be replicated over unrealistically lengthy periods before and afterwards in order to achieve Mr Couhig’s fanciful objective.

And to think that in the midst of that sequence a reserve team deservedly ran Plymouth so close during a hectic spell of three matches in six days at the turn of the year.

• This page has been going bananas for the last 20 minutes or so. Overnight maintenance?

• We have scored more. I remember beating Cheaterborough 6-3 away?

• The crazy thing is that our amazing run of results was right around the time of year we normally struggle. Talk about upside down world!

• Wasn't that 6-3 to Peterborough and ended the Smith regime?

• For me the key issue for us yesterday was the lack of any urgency at all. We were totally lethargic and toothless up front.

Lincoln were not even a good side with a keeper who flapped at any cross, shame we didn’t seem to want to put any pressure on him.

It was almost like the players, unlike the supporters, had stopped believing we could make the play-offs.

Very poor performance and I look forward to Matt bringing in his own signings to make this style of play work for us.

It might not be to everyone’s liking but we need to offload players now to bring in new blood to supplement those we have contracted for next season. I just hope Matt can be strong enough to do what is needed. I have faith in him to do so.

• How can you mis remember that?

That was the infamous smashfest defeat at the end of Smith's regime where he hauled poor Terry Evans off late on.

Michael Mahoney Johnson picked a bad game to score his double for us. Almost identical looking goals too.

• Lincoln's keeper Rushworth was superb, one of the best young keepers i have seen at Adams Park. You can see why he has already been capped at England U21 level.

• My issue yesterday was the lack of a Plan B. Seems a long time since I was bemoaning that under Ainsworth and I've been holding off under Bloomfield because he hasn't had the players on the bench to introduce a Plan B... Until now. He's a new manager and learning the game so I only say it quietly but it's one of the things he most needs to think about over the summer. Derek Adams showed brilliantly how it can be done against Morecambe the other week. We have to learn how to suckerpunch opponents after lulling them into a false sense of security again.

• Im genuinely worried about next season as much as Blooms is a legend if feel we should have just left him at colchester to learn his trade there. Im the type of fan who trys to be positive but ive not seen anything to suggest Blooms is the man for the job. I really hope im wrong and of course we might bring in some decent players. The whole club feels diffirent to me ever since we came back from lockdown the atmosphere has been dreadful and the crowds have been dropping I know atleast 5 people round me who are not renewing season tickets one who has had his since 91. My hope is the Couhigs havent lost instrest and we can kick on again time will tell I guess. Sorry if fans dont like this post its just my opinion have a good weekend everyone.

• edited April 2023

Attendances this season are the highest since 02/03.

Agree with you about the atmosphere, it’s been very quiet, most noticeably in the second half of this season.

• Well that was disappointing although the overreaction of some of the people in the Facebook group is unjustified.

Hopefully Blooms will use the end of this season as a learning experience.

• This is just my opinion, so don't shoot me ! I'm more than happy to give Matt a chance, he deserves it, we can't really judge until he's had longer than this. I just think all of a sudden we look, a bit boring, doesn't seem as much energy about the game. We certainly don't look like a team who wouldn't give up fighting to the last minute and produce amazing late comebacks anymore. I'm very happy with the players that have renewed, but I don't think every player we have left should be kept on, We need some fresh faces as well, people who Matt will think can help us play his way.

Re the atmosphere, I thought the Frank Adams was louder than the terrace yesterday. I'd be happy with the drum back, as long as its the good drummer, not the one who just winds everyone up. Actually, saw the police having a word with him yesterday during the game, anyone know what went on ?

also know a couple of people that aren't renewing season tickets next season, it's a price thing.

• I agree, I thought he came out and claimed every cross and set piece plus great save from Wing.

• Both Forino and Wing are signed on for next season already, so the only way they’d be leaving is if the club received (and accepted) an offer for them.

I could see that happening for Wing, but not Forino at this stage. He’s still very raw and I think we have a tendency to see him in a better light as a result of him being a product of our development team (for the record I do think he’ll eventually play in the championship, just not yet).

• Just seems we're caught in 2 minds in how to attack. In the first few weeks of Blooms, we racked up many shots, without really scoring many.

Worth noting that Vokes won almost every header yesterday, but really lacked any one grabbing the knockdowns. Lincoln were first to almost every 2nd ball yesterday, that wouldn't have happened under GA.

• Flapping Lincoln keeper? Give over, he was commanding in the area.

Just sounding the lack of plan B klaxon ahead of the Government’s emergency alert🚨 🔊 ‼️

• We are saved , the chaps on the Facebook group have just realised the Couhigs aren't billionaires like Ryan Reynolds and co, so I'm fairly sure they're fixing that at the moment, all should be gold by August.

• If I was an imp I’d have given their 21 year old ‘keeper (Carl Rushforth) man of the match. A slight fumble in the opening minutes, then totally in command.

• Forgive my ignorance. I didn’t realise Duncan Alexander (@bluntphil’s co-commentator yesterday) is none other than Oily Sailor.

• Yeah I thought the Lincoln keeper was very good. Made a couple of impressive saves and caught everything he needed to.

• Toothless up front, no plan B, players showing no passion, good players all off (to QPR), love the guy but question marks over Bloomfield? Summer Gasroom is here!

• edited April 2023

Ah the classic "No Plan B"!

Second only to "lost the dressing room" in fan lexicon.

• Your irony would definitely be lost on TwitterBook @Wendoverman but the thumb above suggests that not everyone on here knows what you’re at.

• Not sure what people expect from a keeper...he grabbed every corner and cross and saved from GMac on the line.

• I was probably rather harsh on him for his early fumble.

• It encouraged me to think we might be on to something, to be honest, but I had no idea that he was on loan from Brighton and had already played for England U21s !

• First post but I have to say that Wing’s contract definitely runs out this summer. I’m a lifelong fan and was there at Northwich Victoria when they got the orange ball out in the snow (as evidence I’m not a random person adding a coo m ent)

• edited April 2023

The Lincoln keeper was great and caught a lot of crosses.

it was one of those games where you wished that we still had Bayo to come on at 70 minutes, just to mix it up.

And we need some new players next season if we are to kick on.

We looked quite an old team and we lost to a bunch of kids yesterday. Lincoln were quicker than us, and that counts for a lot in modern football.