Skip to content

Who could / should we sign?

Nice little distraction from all of this "yob culture" arguing...

But who could / should we sign over the summer now that the released players are being announced? Paramount is clearly a striker, and Ainsworth has said himself that he is aware that the fans want a striker with proven league 2 scoring pedigree. On that basis does anyone think we could get some persuading on John Akinde or Scott Boden? Both have had good seasons and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) both are out of contract?

I would also like to see us try and go for PCH again when fit and will be pleased to see the inevitable signing of Siegrist in goal as he looked a very safe pair of hands against Accrington.

Comments

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35354258

I stand corrected, Akinde has another half a season.

• Dipping into the conference I'd quite like to see Jordan Parkes a 26 year old midfielder, he signed for Ebbsfleet from hemel hempstead for an "undisclosed fed" last year. So probably a tad unrealistic.

• Akinde and PCH would be a tempting proposition...but is Paris a risk considering his injury problems?

• I believe Danny Hylton is out of contract....

• I think Akinde could get paid a lot more elsewhere I would imagine. If you're able to score 23 goals in League 2, you can get a League 1 deal with ease.

PCH would be a good signing though and many see it as a done deal.

• Ryan Donaldson, the winger released by Cambridge. Though he appears to have an injury record as bad as PCH's

• I bet Akinde isn't delighted at one of these scenarios where the club seemingly inflicts another year on a player.
    Surely there's better clubs than Barnet available for him!

• Ainsworth has said himself that he is aware that the fans want a striker with proven league 2 scoring pedigree

Is that true? A striker with a proven league 2 scoring pedigree wouldn't be top of my shopping list, as they'd just be coming here to dry up like so many others.

• @drcongo I'm almost certain I read him saying that somewhere, although cannot find the link at hand right now

• @Brownie Sorry, wasn't asking if his saying it was true, more wondering if that's really what the fans want. Read a comment on here not so long ago making the point that any striker in the world would struggle for goals with the style we play recently, which is hardly going to tempt many league 2 strikers to join.

• A fit Paris Cowan-Hall would be terrific, though concerns over his injury record may put the brakes on that. I'm sure Ainsworth will be looking for a player in a similar mould, though if he wants to persist with the centre backs launching it, we may well see some players more in the target man mould. An out-and-out left winger will be on the 'nice to get' list too to provide a bit of balance to Harriman on the right.

• Jermaine Udumaga has been released by Brentford, presumably due to their academy closing down. I liked the look of him in the few minutes he played for us, could be relatively cheap too, although potentially not an 'Ainsworth style' player.

• Udumaga would be a great signing. I thought he looked like he had massive potential. I know it was only a few minutes but you could just see he possessed a lot of quality on the ball.

• I honestly think Hayes will score goals again with more creativity in midfield. A creative midfielder and a PCH type would be top of my shopping list.

• Thompson scored 20 goals in League One last year but look what happened to him (a combination of his legs giving out & our style of play), there seems to be no guarantee that a reputation/record will deliver. At our level/budget whom ever comes in will be a gamble. Gaz has got his recruitment right more than wrong, he knows the issues, we must trust him on this one. In the meantime lets fill the empty Summer months just listing every striker released by other clubs!

• Given how he played against us, and the style of play we use, then I think Tom Elliott from Wimbledon would be an excellent signing.

No idea if we'd have any chance of getting him though

• edited May 2016

Thompson scored 12 in League One last year. He is still a useful player but not when played with Hayes, need some pace in there.

• Thompson started well and actually looked pretty pacy to me but then about halfway through the season his legs just seemed to go. It can happen to players

Happened to Keith Scott here actually. And then Reading kindly gave us quarter of a million quid for him! That remains to this day one of the oddest transfers of all time

• @eric_plant that has to be one of the best pieces of business by any club ever! Didn't he sign a new deal the day before?

• Yep, rumour was that he'd signed the contract specifically so that we could get more money for him

It was really strange

• Seem to remember that the Reading manager, Mark Mcghee was sacked pretty soon after. The whole business was very odd. Didn't we use the money to sign Sean Device?

• It was the late Tommy Burns actually.

Yes, we used the cash to sign Sean Devine and stayed up. And Scotty turned up at the Vere Suite to join in the post Lincoln piss up in his Reading tracksuit!

• Although I'd like to see a creative attacking midfielder I'm not sure it is really the missing link. How many teams in league 2 have a Saunders-type player in their team? Maybe 3-4 and those players aren't cheap I imagine.

More likely to sign a couple of powerful centre forwards. To my mind our inability to hold the ball up prevents players like Hayes, Harriman, Wood etc getting time on the ball in the final third.

I'd love to see us play it our from defence on the deck but I reckon it is more likely we will try and play the way Wimbledon did at AP a few weeks ago - feeding off a strong and mobile forward leading the line.

• Udumaga would be an interesting signing if he was given the game time. There must be a reason Ainsworth was reluctant to play him more during his loan spell though.

• Udumaga played more killer passes in his five minutes on the pitch than most of the rest of the team managed all season.

Two.

• very true, why on earth he never played is beyond me.

• I suspect he would say it wasn't about keeping the players happy, but about playing the best players for as much time as possible.

• don't even want to say so tinpot these days we have totally gone backwards as a club its depressing

• Bring me sunshine...

• I think Luke Gambin would be a good young tricky winger. Anyone know of his contract status ?