Skip to content

Ainsworth Out - Its Official

Comments

• edited February 2023

Of course Dobbo is upset to be leaving, but that doesn't mean he's bering dragged off to QPR against his will. He probably just shows it more visibly than Gaz, who's just perma-chilled.

• Like, I suspect all of us, I found the last 48 hours incredibly draining & frustrating.

Am I disappointed that Gareth, Dobbo & Josh have left, of course I am but like Rob Couhig said in his interview with @bluntphil I too would never stand in the way of someone taking advantage of an opportunity to further their ambition & fulfill a dream. Like many of you will have done in your employment & I have done a number of times; did our colleagues resent us? maybe but most were happy we had the chance & took it; that is how we should feel about Gareth, Dobbo & Josh.

As others have said the videos, were a great credit to the club, especially Matt Cecil & @bluntphil, as well as being real tear jerkers from a fan perspective, they certainly made me feel very emotional about the club & GA/RD as people. QPR do not know how lucky they are to have got themselves some of the best people in football coaching & management. Gareth is incredibly generous of spirit, never talks down his team or the opponents publically & clearly gets his playing staff to give their all for him; Dobbo has always been at the cutting edge of elite performance coaching in football & is a deep, deep thinker about not only the game, but also & more importantly how to nurture & get the best out of his athletes; Josh (who we sort of know least about) is clearly highly respected by the other two & appears from this season to be damn good at his job.

They deserve their shot & I wish them all the best for the future & sincerely hope they succeed & show people what we know, that there is so much more to them than hoofball & dark arts.

What ultimately made this sadness bearable was the announcement that Mr Wycombe is coming home, an integral part of the Ainsworth/Dobson years & a man steeped in the culture not only our dressing room but also the club, who is a fan favourite & another decent human being.

• Absolutely gut wrenching, it was ridiculous to think they would never leave, but I think I just assumed they never would. I'm not sure what it says about football these days that we kept them as long as we did, because they are clearly brilliant, and I'll be bloody fuming if QPR and their fans don't give them a proper chance.

For years my main hope for Wycombe was to get promoted to League One and then not get relegated the following season, and if I'm honest I was not sure it would ever happen. Gaz completely smashed that hope to pieces, promoted to The Championship unbelievable! Gaz knows best, I know nothing. I thought he should have gone after the season we almost ended up in the Conference. Wrong. I didn't get him signing Bayo. Wrong. Thanks for everything, you are absolute legends.

• I'm sure we've all been bracing ourselves for this moment for years now, it was never going to come at a good time.

Everyone streaming out of Adams Park on Saturday delighted with the incredible team display that dispatched yet another form team wouldn't have thought now was going to be the time, though I wouldn't begrudge Gareth the chance to leave on a high with the team poised to finish the season very strongly indeed.

We're all disappointed, though Gareth and especially Dobbo owe WWFC absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned. Whatever faith we paid in them during the turbulent first couple of seasons has been long paid back with considerable interest. Gareth has been very patient waiting for his chance, I really hope he and Dobbo make a success of it and prove those who have a blinkered opinion of their abilities very wrong indeed.

Now it's time for Bloomers to put his stamp on a club he has personified for so long (I'll forgive the prodigal son for his aberration now he's repented and returned), I'm sure we're all excited to see what direction he takes the club and how he will rally a squad that must be absolutely devastated to have lost such charismatic and engaging leaders.

• or even more melancholy...All the sad young men by Spector

• I wonder if Gaz agreed to share his compensation package if they got sacked. I can't help but feel they have walked into a poisoned chalice. I'm more gutted at the prospect of where they could end up after QPR!

Also interesting to see who MB will bring in.

• Sigur Ros' Hoppipolla is the soundtrack for times like these

• What a week. Absolutely cream crackered, very unproductive at work and opening a bottle I shouldn't have is no way to start my week. It hasn't sunk in yet but still utterly gutted to see the duo go, what a time to go, but I can only wish them well after everything they've given me. Thank you both for so many rollercoaster moments. As others have said I don't think QPR realise how lucky they are and just hope they give them a fair crack at it. A welcome surprise and return of Mr Wycombe has raised spirits as no other replacement could, with the added bonus of upsetting Essex which to me is always welcome. I know I've added nothing new here but it's made me feel better, welcome home Mr Bloomfield here's to the future and f@€k me it's only Tuesday.

• edited February 2023

I’m listening to “Adore” by Smashing Pumpkins. An album reserved for emotional days like this one...

• I don’t feel we have seen the last of Dobbo in the Wycombe dugout.

• Listening to Nina Simone for no other reason than it lifts the spirit like no-one else.

• It has been an exhausting 48 hours or so.

Pretty disappointing that we have moved so quickly to get a replacement in (does this mean we can still keep the ‘continuously managed’ record?).

I was really looking forwards* to a few days of wild speculation and rumours as to who our next manager should/would be - spoilsports.

*I really wasn’t!!!

• Well that’s me confirmed as an emotional wreck for the rest of the week

• C’mon. They deserve their shot. I hope they’re top of the Championship this time next season and choosing between staying at QPR or leaving to takeover a relegation battle at Chelsea

• Sometimes as a fan you ‘just know’ that someone will return one day.

I’m still convinced O’Neill will in some capacity in the future, perhaps as a club ambassador or something. We knew Guppy would come back. And Gorman. And Fred three times. Bloomfield too, and Keith Scott.

You can add Richard Dobson to that list.

• This may already have been posted, in which case apologies.

https://twitter.com/tlmfootball/status/1628098507738316807?s=46&t=En2KPz_CePF7I78AqZjWcA

Fucking hell!

• Old showbiz advice. When they're booing, get off the stage. When they're cheering....get off the stage.

Glad he left with us cheering.

• The King is dead. Long live the King. You're doing well, I hope this doesn't derail your playoff push (unless it's looking likely to be at our expense ;) ). As someone wrote earlier, we all take new jobs in the pursuit of furthering our careers, footballers and managers are no different. Nice to see the lack of slagging off on here too.

Good luck.

• @Raminpeace sorry why would there be slagging off, you’ve lost me?

• because he’s used to being surrounded by absolute half-wits at Derby County. Funnily enough there’s very little of that at Wycombe.

• Lots of Sigur Ros's songs would be appropriate, the whole ( ) album especially right now.

A bit of Magnetic Fields from back in the day is pretty apt too I think...

https://youtu.be/eo8vW_0H_KgL

• Hopefully the first thing Ainsworth does is loan us Ilias Chair because we can never have enough attacking midfielders and his name would be funny for a few minutes.

• It's not impossible to imagine some form of lover-scorned lashing out from fans in such circumstances, is it? I take it as a compliment to the quality of discourse on the thread, perhaps because I had formed the same perception myself.

• Not sure people are going to be doing well trying Psychoanalysis on Dobbo, he's a big boy, he said he had lots of discussions, he had his choice, he made it. Of course he's sad to leave. Wish him well.

• @HCblue got it right. Whenever a player or manager leaves of his own free will there is, generally, a % of fans who will play the "lack of loyalty" card. Take when Lampard left us for Chelsea. The majority of Derby fans remembered what he'd said when he first arrived in an interview on RamsTV. Namely that he'd had long discussions with Morris and that he had said that, looking forward, he would find it difficult to turn Chelsea down if they came calling. They came calling and the pull was too great. A few resorted to the "lack of loyalty" card.

Was I wrong to comment that it was nice to see a lack of that in this case? Compliments hard to take?

• Just wanted to drop in to say that some of us do know how lucky we are. In fact, a lot of us have been questioning Gareth's sanity at leaving you lot to come to a deeply problematic club like ours.

Anyway, everything I have seen or heard about Wycombe during this changeover has done you lot credit, and I really hope that you go on to success and promotion to the Championship. Time to rediscover some of my Bucks heritage and make Wycombe Wanderers my second team, I think.

All the Best!