Skip to content

Comments

• 5pm announcements

• “This is all a little bit surreal,” Ainsworth said. “It has been a whirlwind two days and leaving Wycombe Wanderers was very tough because of the connection there.

“But this is QPR and when I spoke about something special forcing me away from Wycombe, this was pretty special.

“It’s the club where I was most known for playing and you get moments in your career that resonate with you forever.

“I loved my time here as a player and hopefully I can go on and love my time here as a manager as well.”

Looking ahead to life in the QPR dugout, Ainsworth explained: “I really want to challenge myself. This is going to be a real challenge because the club is so special to me, and so huge as well.

“I want to get Loftus Road absolutely rocking again and I hope the fans will get right behind me and right behind the team.

“To be trusted by the Board here and those above me, I want to be able to pay them back in droves. I will be giving my absolute everything for this football club.”

QPR CEO Lee Hoos said: “We are delighted to have been able to bring Gareth in so quickly.

“I would like to thank Wycombe Wanderers for their professionalism. We have the utmost respect for them and are hugely sympathetic as we recognise the challenging nature of these circumstances.

“We wish them only the best for the remainder of the season and the future.

“Gareth’s determination to be a success is very evident and we are excited to see the impact he will have.”

Director of Football Les Ferdinand added: “After an encouraging start, this season has provided enormous challenges.

“We understand the frustration of the fans and are hugely grateful for their support.

“I know Gareth is looking forward to seeing them at Loftus Road on Saturday and he can’t wait to get going.”

Following Ainsworth from the Chairboys, Richard Dobson joins QPR as assistant head coach while Josh Hart comes in as a first-team analyst.

• I know he was a player there for a long time, but he and Dobbo just do not look right in those QPR branded tracksuits!

• Wycombe ones do look objectively better.

• It's so weird - GA deserves everything he gets, and owes us nothing, yet it's still hard not to feel like the dumped ex reaching for the tissues...

• Anyone catch the SkySports News announcement? a real hatchet job by the reporter at the ground who kept calling Gareth, Gareth Ainsley. Anyway, gutted to see him go but we always knew this day would come eventually

• Thanks for everything Gaz, Dobbo and Josh.

Gaz the best manager we've ever had and Dobbo the finest assistant the EFL has ever seen. We're gonna miss you.

Best of luck at QPR.

• Dreadful timing for us, but we all recognise this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to get to manage one of only 2 clubs there's even an argument are more important to him than Wycombe.

It must feel like sheer vindication for all the hard times here, no budget, struggling on against all the odds.

For everyone at Torquay, we'll never forget him gripping that BELIEVE sign, and jumping onto the cross bar.

Thank you Gaz.

Plus Dobbo, who was there the whole way, plus arguably saved the club financially with his stack of youth teamers who went on for money at a critical time.

• Incredibly mixed emotions right now. I guess a part of me - my eternal inner child - thought Gareth would be at Wycombe forever, so it's genuinely heartbreaking to see him go, but I wish him and Dobbo nothing but the absolute best for the future. Their name is etched permanently in the Wycombe firmament.

Probably the only thing that could temper that sadness is the return of Matty B. May he be the Paisley to Ainsworth's Shankly.

COYB!

• The exit interview the club have posted is an incredibly hard watch, Dobbo is literally holding back tears.

• We will be fine now we have Matt back. Good luck to them but I have always disliked QPR and their weird fans.

• It really is a tough watch. Dobbo clearly very emotional, looking like he was all cried out.

What an incredible journey they've taken us on! I wish them every success at QPR, I'm quite sure they'll be a big hit there.

• It’s a brilliant last interview, but it was always going to be. They have both always been entirely professional, positive and passionate about the club. They haven’t just achieved remarkable results, they’ve done it while also being admirable people. QPR are very lucky indeed.

• edited February 2023

Thank you Gareth and Dobbo for the really really great times. I wish you well at QPR, I am sure you can bring them success. I absolutely understand the reasons why you both had to go.

Next time we play QPR, and I hope it is next season, I look forward to singing "Gareth Ainsworth - you picked the wrong team ...."

• edited February 2023

What a classy way to leave, with an exit interview! How many clubs have that? A very emotional watch - Dobbo definitely seems more torn up than GA! From the prior rumours, he probably had to wrestle with the decision for longer.

Thank you Gareth, thank you Dobbo - legends forever. You leave after a record five game winning streak in L1, beating Derby and Bolton in that streak. All the best at QPR, and give us a pre-season friendly for the fans who can get there to say goodbye in person, please.

• I wasn’t ready to watch Dobbo in tears. Felt sad to see Gareth not in his Wycombe colours, really hit home that it’s an ending.

It will take some time to process this one!

• I hope QPR appreciate just how special GA, Dobbo & Josh are. The emotion in the final interview is clear to see in both GA especially Dobbo, it can't have been an easy decision for them to leave however much they want to test themselves.

I wish them the very best in their new jobs until, that is, Matt leads us to glorious victory at Loftus Road on the opening day of the Championship in August!

• The two of them will always be a huge part of the Wycombe DNA, I wish them every success for the future & hope that QPR's owners, management & fans realise what wonderful human beings they have brought in.

• I’ll always remember the loss to Bristol Rovers in 2014, almost certainly relegating us and the abuse Gareth got as he walked towards the terrace to apologise to the fans.

I don’t think there’s many bigger turnarounds from a manager in recent history.

• The behind-the-scenes goodbyes video on WanderersTV is heart-breaking, and very well put together. I didn't think we'd get such a revealing look at how it all actually went down; credit to everyone involved for managing to give us some sense of a send off.

• Echo everything therabbittest has said - sobbing into my wine. Hope there will be a time when we can meet again to wish Gaz and Dobbo well and thank them for all the memories.

• Would be great if QPR have an international break and we have a home game, for an opportunity to say goodbye before the match or at half time.

• We're away to Charlton in the last international break of this season

• edited February 2023

“We know what you are,

we know what you aaarrrreeee

A Wycombe legend

we know what you are”

if this isn’t sung when our paths cross next, even if we’re 5-0 down, the whole of the terrace is dead to me.

• WOW. What a couple of days!!

Walking out of Adams Park on Saturday following that great performance against Bolton and dreaming of Wembley and the Championship. Fast forward just 72hours and now this.

Thank you Gaz, Dobbo and Josh, who I have a feeling could take a bit of replacing. The analysis and tactics in the last few weeks, especially, have been fantastic. The very best of luck.

welcome Matty Bloomfield here’s to the next 20 years 🍻

• Keep thinking of Dobbo in that interview with them both, wow, he looks gutted, very emotional

• edited February 2023

I really think Dobbo will return at some point, the work for the development project and the other areas

he was involved in, gave him a freedom your rarely get at other football clubs. Not just emotional, Dobbo looks visibly distressed.