Skip to content

Ainsworth Out - Its Official

Comments

• It was just a question, I was interested in what you meant.

• Blast! I meant to tell the story about coming to your place on that ridiculously windy day years back when you were 2 nil up and the wind scored 2 goals for us in the second half..... I think it went like that. Walked up with a lovely old boy Wycombe fan who honestly hated Chelsea as much as I do. 😄

• Thanks @BucksLadRsFan - Gaz has grown so much as a manager and as a man over the last decade, and Dobbo is just one of the best people in football full stop. If the club's higher ups put their full trust in them and Ferdinand doesn't interfere, they'll give your squad the best team spirit you've ever had - it's almost enough for a goal lead before the game has even kicked off.

• Hoppipolla makes me weep every time. However the Mexico Wanderers just put up a montage with the opening music from ‘Up’. Christ on a bike 😭

• edited February 2023

Don’t forget he’s really nice so referees don’t like giving fouls against his team

(sorry @username123 - I must have meant to have replied to your post yesterday. No idea how you edit it out)

• edited February 2023

It'd be a struggle for even the least balanced fan to slag Gareth and Dobbo off.

They worked miracles here, conducted themselves brilliantly and everyone always knew QPR or Blackburn were high risk vacancies in terms of us losing them.

We've nervously monitored each time both clubs have had a vacancy for the last 4 or 5 years and it's finally happened.

Timing is bad for us, but you can't pick your timing when you want a particular club.

• That is massively out of order, I was nowhere near emotionally ready for such a montage

• I've watched highlights of the play-off final countless times and I still can't get over the fact that amid all the excitement, the first thing Gaz does at the final whistle is console Karl Robinson. If one moment summed up the greatness of the man it's that.

• Yeah, I picked up on that as well, and he does exactly the same at Torquay. He's just a class act

It did also then occur to me how much of a wrong 'un does Derek Adams have to be to get Gaz to lose his composure like he did that time? I concluded that the answer has to be "a massive one"

• Always found that one of their cheerier songs. If you want sad Sigur Ros I always find either version of 'Von' from the 'Hvarf/Heim' album does the job rather too well. The more acoustic version is from the 'Heima' movie, and the video clip of that is very good.

• I always found his conduct from the Southend final superb too. The positivity after the gut-wrenching way we lost it, but also the way he apparently went up to Phil Brown before the shoot-out (having just conceded an equaliser with pretty much the last kick of the game) and suggesting they watch the penalties together, and then no matter who won just shake each others hand and wish each other good luck.

A classy dude, as was Dobbo.

• Agree on Von. Andvari on Takk gets me every time (especially straight after Gong which is incredible). I think Takk as a whole album is underrated. Hoppipolla just a small element of a masterpiece.

• Too many touching moments, too many great stories... Gaz and Dobbo are just unreal - and as a pair, possibly unique in the modern game?

However, what keeps me going is that behind all those stories, is the face of Matt Bloomfield. He has learned from the masters all the way, and because of that we'll be ok.

• The National's 'Sleep Well Beast' is matching the mood very well for me at the moment

• Gareth Ainsworth’s tenure as manager almost overlaps with my journey into working in my own profession after a prior work history of varied jobs before I was fortunate enough to train in something within the NHS.

My role is one that requires a certain amount of supervision, line management and nowadays, clinical leadership. On the way I’ve tried to take what I can from the best managers and leaders I’ve seen. Two of those are Gaz and Dobbo. Fantastic exemplars of how to get the best out of those they lead. I was struck early on by how Gaz always gives credit to the players for a win, praises their industry and heart when things don’t go well and owns his mistakes without blaming others. I have tried to emulate that as best I can. Thank you both for that as well as so many fantastic moments on and around the pitch.

I am so so pleased that in Matt Bloomfield we will have more of the same. Had anyone else come in the pain would have been hard to bear. This feels more like a baton has been passed to the next runner in the same relay team.

• Whilst I haven’t been brave enough to delve into the murky waters of the FB page - so it may be a different story there - it’s pretty incredible to have an incoming manager where no-one’s questioned the appointment (that I’ve seen). How many clubs are lucky enough to say that?

• It's become so much a part of who he is that he now makes a point of shaking the hand of every opposition team member, player and staff, at the end of a game.

It's actually something which I'm really hoping MB might follow.

To me it shows a level of humility and respect that is often lacking in football.

• The post game hand shaking serves another purpose. As and when any player needs to be approached / recruited they will remember the time Gaz took time to connect with them, an effective conversation starter. The fact that Gaz is so well branded (hair, jacket, boots etc) helps that memorability. I’m not saying any of this is contrived, ‘working the room’ comes very naturally to such a ‘people person’.

• I believe it’s called networking :-) and you are right, I used to think that every time he did it. It was both genuine and useful. Makes you wonder why other managers don’t bother.

• He didn't just go round shaking everyone's hands, though. There were occasions where he did much more, such as the day the young Rochdale lad gave away a last minute pen after having an amazing game, where Gaz took time to pick up the disconsolate figure slumped on the ground, and congratulate him on his overall performance, despite the late drama.

It's the little things...

• He never slated a ref in an interview, the most he ever did was mention the occasional decision with a wry shake of the head.

Dignified beyond belief in defeat and victory. Always talked up the rival club and manager, congratulated opposition fans, players and manager alike.

Took players to WW battle fields and player development activities, and no doubt loads of stuff for players' benefit that didn't get to the press.

An absolute marvel.

• The only ref I think he ever flipped at was Brett Huxtable that time at Mansfield

• And possibly the only manager that brought him into pure ire was that Plymouth chump, which anyone could understand.

• The man was a class act in everything he done at the club. Sad as it is, he deserves the chance to manage at a bigger club. Clearly a legend at QPR, I hope it goes well and results improve. It would be tragic if he lost that status if results didn’t go well. I’ve seen where club legends have come back to manage their old clubs and it’s gone horribly wrong and fans turn against them. Hopefully not in Ainsworth’s situation and certainly hope not for Bloomfield.

• Gareth Ainsworth in his pre-match press conference today:

"Everyone is in contention until I speak to the Doctor. That is going to be my line, but at the moment I am looking forward on picking the best possible team I can to beat Blackburn."

Nothing else this week has made me miss him more!

• Cue QPR players in casts looking hopeful. "So you're saying there's a chance?"

• Brings back some memories doesn't it.

Like us only realising Sido was actually out long term when spotting him with a cast and crutches at a game!