Skip to content

Ainsworth Out - Its Official

Comments

• Yeah, makes you wonder if what was said last night was correct, that Dobbo didn't want to go, and Gareth has had to persuade him.

• I feel for Dobbo. He’s a brilliant coach but never seeks the limelight. Gareth knows he needs Dobbo and I’m sure Dobbo felt he couldn’t hold his friend back. It’s a massive opportunity for Gareth but Dobbo will be collateral if it goes wrong. We all hope it goes right for both but I have my worries about the state of QPR at the moment.

Chatting to a QPR supporter today and he said their development system is bringing through some great talents. So I hope this is where Dobbo can do his magic. I just don’t see either of them playing too well with prima donnas

• Your finest work Righty.

• It's an emotional day for all of us but watching and listening to Dobbo in those videos.....I'm really not sure he feel he's doing the right thing

• Just watched those videos, that was tough. Amazing what they've achieved. Thank you for all the memories, so many more high than low.

QPR really don't know what they've got, Dobbo is ahead of his time. Absolutely gutted to see him go. He is the foundations of the footballing side of this club and I don't think any of us truly realise at the minute what a big loss he's going to be.

All the best for the future GA and Dobbo!

• Dobbo looked absolutely distraught, while Ainsworth was more pure excitement mixed with bittersweet emotions.

• edited February 2023

Surely we will be facing QPR in a pre-season game now? Part of the deal…surely. Rob wouldn’t miss that trick.

Oh and are Gaz and Dobbo due a testimonial?

• @Forest_Blue if so, the testimonial should be current Wycombe v Wycombe legends, with the likes of Stockdale, Bayo and Stewart playing on GA and RD's side.

• Thanks for all the memories you have given us. What a fine pair of human beings…going to be sorely missed here, but rip it up at QPR!!

• It's been a hell of a day. I'd just about got round to the idea of Gareth going (although I was holding out hope until the very end), but I wasn't at all prepared for the return of Blooms and his super-quick appointment as manager. Have to say that has softened the blow a bit. I wasn't particularly looking forward to the prospect of an outsider coming in and potentially dismantling our culture. My worst nightmare was Nathan Jones coming in. Thankfully nothing like that has happened. So, although I'm gutted at the thought of not having Gareth and Dobbo at the helm, I feel like we're in safe hands with Blooms. So, huge thanks to Gareth and Dobbo for everything they've done for us, and all the memories they've created, and a big welcome home to Blooms, and the best of luck for his new chapter with us.

PS - agree with the previous posters, the two final videos were hugely emotional. The one at the training ground especially, it must have been a real wrench saying goodbye to all the players.

• I must say the content from WanderersTV has been incredible today. The silence has been deafening at times in the last few days, but the club were busy working away behind the scenes capturing the moments for the wider audience to experience. I can’t think of another club that would have done that, credit to @bluntphil and team.

• I’ve just realised I’m going to have to come to terms with wanting QPR to do well now. What a weird feeling.

• Yeah but your allowed to hate Col U again to your hearts content

• Mwhat ruins everything for me is that seemingly over 50% of qpr fans don't want this.... it makes me so so sad...

I sincerely.... even though Im Gutted to the core.... hope Gareth and dobo tear it up there and we all look back at this moment as the beginning of something magical for them.

Through gritted teeth I thank them from the bottom of my heart for the amazing years we have had.

They deserve the break.

Go get em boys!!!

• @Alexo I think a lot of QPR fans will come around now it is done. It seems they had two main motivations:

1. Not wanting GA to tarnish his playing legacy.
    2. Thinking he only plays long ball.

If they start winning again, they will not care about either of those (and #1 would be safe anyway).

• I don’t want to sound too bitter but I don’t feel massively generous towards either Gareth or Dobbo at the minute - whether they left with heavy hearts or not.

Professional football is a competitive beast and like others have said I feel a bit jilted and let down. Ultimately they’ve chosen another club over ours which they’re entitled to do but equally I’m entitled to be disappointed by it given the 11 years of support I’ve given them

Maybe that will pass and I’ll be able to reflect on the past 11 years in the proper perspective, but for now I’m not sure I give a stuff whether QPR win or lose on Saturday or any other match.

A disappointing end to one of the great weeks in our history.

Onwards and upwards COYB.

• I think you are right. Always have had respect for your posts. You are often the voice of reason when I get frustrated with anything Wycombe related!

• Very kind of you to say so - I think that is the first time anyone has called me the voice of reason though! Normally it is the voice of droning on about Nick Freeman or early subs!

• Watching that interview, I just can't shake the feeling Dobbo didn't want to go, but knew GA would feel he needed him as part of his team so he felt a sense of duty to follow him. He looked absolutely distraught.

• I totally agree. It's the real cloud for me in this. For all we know GA was going to stay if Dobbo did not come with him, and Dobbo did not want to hold him back. He did not have the half excited emotion of GA, that's for sure.

• Glad for both of their sakes they went for it. The idea there could be any lingering resentment either way round would have been uncomfortable.

A lot of posts on the QPR forum suggested they might struggle with some of their players.

• Got to disagree entirely.

They have been custodians of the team I have supported all but the first 5 and a bit years of my life longer, and probably more successfully, than any other management team.

They have nurtured that team to the extent that we are arguably in the strongest position (on the field) that we ever have been.

They are leaving us to pursue their own (well mainly GAs by the sound of it) dreams and it seems mean-spirited to me to criticise them for doing so.

I can only wish them every success with QPR (unless we end up playing them).

There have been times over the past few years when I’ve occasionally found the football hard to watch and shaken my head in dismay at the prevalence of the use of ‘dark arts’ but I’ve always recognised that this was about GA (and Dobbo) playing the hand they were dealt with as best they could.

I think this season, and particularly the past few games, has shown just what they can do when they do get a decent deal.

More than anything though I was most proud of how our manager conducted himself off the field. His generosity of spirit and out and out humanity showed most of his peers up as being childish whingers.

I actually feel slightly jealous of the QPR fans right now (only very slightly). They are quite quickly going to have the sudden realisation that their new manager and face of the club is a person of pure class.

• Forgive me for going peak millennial, but can I recommend The Postal Service as the soundtrack to an evening as filled with melancholy as it is with hope.

• Well said Theatre Of Chairs. Yes people want to better themselves I get that. Feel a bit disappointed at the moment

Good luck Guys. Wish you Well. Regards

• I think that’s a well argued and fair response and in time I’ll probably get to that place, I just don’t feel it right now if I’m honest.

• I'm really not sure that Dobbo looked like a man that wanted to be leaving

• One thing about Ainsworth: he has always been completely honest. He always said he had ambitions to manage higher, and that it would take something special to entice him away, but we all knew that "special" meant QPR/Blackburn coming along at what he considered the right time for him.

Adding that to his incredible journey with us, there is no way I could feel miffed with him. The timing may seem a bit off to me, but it's not me who is making the move, and I only have a very small view of the picture. I don't feel betrayed, lied to or strung along, just a little sorrowful that we will be missing GA and Dobbo in the dugout, and that the latter does not seem happy - I just hope that things pick up at QPR and Dobbo ends up glad it happened.

• Unfortunately, if you have a limited amount of "ideal" clubs, then you can't really dictate the timing, it's sheer luck when they sack their current guy.

They certainly wouldn't have waited for him that's for sure. Dobbo said in his interview that they had to decide pretty quickly.