Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• Good trolling,I wouldn't entirely give up on the playoffs and think we can do better than 16th but do agree with a fair portion of that. The Dev team do need time to train and develope, many aren't brought in as the finished article, so if you have them as cover you have to expect dips when we have injuries, but it's also inevitable some will be released in May without having been given a fair chance. Jasper looks worth some minutes.

• I'd totally forgotten about Mellor. We're in with a great chance of the play offs, a couple of signings would certainly be welcome. But must admit I'd also like to see a couple of the more promising youngsters given a run out or 2

• As wind ups go this one deserves to be shipped to Milton Keynes on a free transfer.

• We may not see the calibre of the players we currently have (Mehmeti, Mawson, Vokes, Taff etc) for a long time, maybe ever again at WWFC.

So why would we just throw the season down the pan with youngsters? Madness

• I do wonder if this is an attempt to balance the books. Al-Hamidi, Horgan and Kaikai shipped out. Appreciate we could still be paying for Horgan.

I do hope we've got someone coming in but I'm very happy for it to be a loanee from a prem club where they are covering the wages.

If not, then hopefully TJ and Mellor can step up to the plate in wide areas. More than happy with Freeman and Pattenden as back-ups after that.

• really hope GA does not mess this opportunity up as we have a great opportunity this season., it may be that Rob is bored and wants to stop the spending ....he is better off investing and if we are a champ team the club would be worth more

• GA mess this opportunity up??

Odd way of looking at it.He seems to have done pretty well in his years at the club so far but the teams we are competing with are almost all ex-Premier teams with vastly bigger financial resources.

We are Wycombe Wanderers. In crowd terms we are a Lg2 size team yet we are competing at the top of Lg1. That is extraordinary and wonderful in itself. Enjoy the ride and hope for (but don't expect or demand) something even better.

• I'm concerned that 3 people appear to agree with this

• 3 million deficit has been chipped away at with the three outgoings. Our squad is none the weaker as the three that have gone have barely contributed to our success this season. So the last thing we need is direct replacements (ie expensive bench warmers). If we don't get any new ones in so be it, there's a lot of clubs out there that are just looking for that one more player.

• I'm concerned that we are potentially going to make a loss of up to £3M this season, with no news on how that is being covered. I really don't care if we cut our cloth accordingly to balance the books and therefore miss out on the play-offs and have to release high earners.

I'd be very happy to go back to the pre-Couhig era type squads, which at least tried to be sustainable (albeit almost impossible under the trust). If this means a return to yo yoing between L1 and L2 but little to no debt, then so be it.

If we don't get into the play offs this season, then I do not see how we cover the up to £3M loss. If the Couhigs were donating the money regardless, then I'd be a bit happier but I suspect it's loans or debt that they may want back.

Of course I'd love us to sign some forwards to push us forwards into the play-offs but absolutely no way at the expense of the long term stability of the club.

• Horgs and Sully must have been brought in (@ considerable cost) at the request of Gaz and Dobbo. On balance neither have made it. Pete is back in town, is this transfer window being treated as a bit of financial Spring cleaning?

• Who knows, but GA is on record as saying that Rob Couhig has made funds available in the past that he (GA) has chosen not to spend, as he thought the player/s concerned are/were worthwhile, but were overpriced.

He's repeated the "any new signings will only be made at the right price" mantra again this time round (just before the Oxford game) - but if nothing else that probably restricts us to rough diamonds, as opposed to anyone we're likely to have to pay a fee for.

• https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/highwycombe/23277240.sullay-kaikai-departs-wycombe-wanderers-milton-keynes/

is there a bit of a parting shot in this line?

“This is a great club with a great style of play which attracts players to come here.”

• The BBC quotes him as saying "I want to get back to enjoying my football" which sounds a bit more of a parting shot.

• "This is a struggling club in a relegation battle with an empty stadium and plastic fans. I wanted to test myself in the most difficult environment possible, so that if I am ever again on the bench at a lovely club, I can hug myself and think 'at least I am not still at MK.'"

• Exclusive - "Mate, I fkn hate the franchise and everything they stand for, we smashed them up last year and they basically collapsed, as for playing styles they were decent last year but can't string three passes together now without giving it away and conceding, they might go bust soon which would be best all round...but I mocked Gaz's hair once and he just won't pick me, and he says I'm lazy , hopefully I'll get a goal or two and bag a contract somewhere else for next year"

• About as many shots on target leaving us as he had playing for us. AMIRITE?

• Loan keeper Harvey Cartwright comes in from Hull.

• I guess this is due to us not being able to sign an emergency keeper. Sensible. Is Baz still at Hull?

• Max has quickly become one of my favourite keepers.

• Odd one this.

What does this lad gain from sitting on our bench?

Is there a problem with Max?

• Yes, very odd.

Especially with him having a loan cut short after playing just one game at Posh. Also, videos the club have shared from Hull seem to suggest they want him here for game time.

• Tyla Dickinson has shown he’s not (yet) ready for this level, and Josh Blunkell has even less experience, so getting good cover in makes sense.

Or Max is injured and we won’t see him till pre season.

• A Max injury seems quite plausible given the number of times he seems to pull up with a nasty-looking cramp.

Ahem.

But yeah, as far as the new signing, I’m not doing backflips of joy but it seems sensible to have a backup just in case.

I think Dickinson did ok but hopefully the new guy is a cut above.

• edited January 2023

Hull manager video definitely suggests that expectation is that he will be starting.

Max injured or to be sold? Surely not benched.

• This is a bit worrying if anything. Rosenior’s interview very much alludes to him wanting game time. Stryjek is surely undroppable as things stand. That makes you question if Stryjek is injured or if he’s been signed by a bigger club.

• If we sell Max after just five odd months I shall be wroth.

• Berks and Bucks keeper? For a young keeper to be no2 with hopes of playing if needed and around a good environment rather than 4th or 5th choice higher up still probably valuable. Hope Max is ok.