Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• Our loss. Quite sad about that.

• PBoPBo
    edited January 2023

Here's the tweet.

https://twitter.com/iamAlexHowell/status/1617872104036388864?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

To my mind a player with potential, but totally understand why he wants out since he never gets a run of games.

If he does go, it'd be worth in his first Franchise interview making clear to everyone that "the name's Kaikai guys. Not Kai Kai. Or KaiKai. Just...Kaikai."

In other news, in the OUFC preview, GA still maintains that we're "looking to get 1 or 2 in, but only at the right price".

• Whether we get it depends on our negotiating skills, for sure. I agree nothing is a given!

• Totally understand too @PBo. He wasn’t going to get the minutes here that his fleeting appearances seemed to some (maybe not many of us) to justify. To be fair, there were also fitness concerns, I think.

I have to confess that I never got his name right if Kaikai is indeed the correct version.

• If we are shipping out Kaikai, Horgan and Al Hamadi then I can only imagine / hope Ainsworth is in the market for attacking players else we're just decimating the rotation / substitute options we have.

Gutted about Sullay. I really don't think he was ever given a chance.

• I'd love Sulley to get more game time here.... but he's gone down in my estimation if he's happy to go there !

• You would assume that Kaikai doesn't train well at all. There's almost no other explanation. He didn't even get into the side much during our seven game winless run roughly this time last year. I trust Ainsworth's intuition.

• Surely must have something up our sleeve , if we are prepared to let Kaikai go. We will be light on options at the top end of the pitch, especially if we are determined to stay in the fight for the playoffs. Interesting in Ainsworth’s latest video, it was good to hear Pete is back and has got his enthusiasm back . Hopefully not to sell players and sell the club!!!!

• I think he just doesn’t do enough without the ball in comparison with our other options. No doubting the impact he can have going forward.

• This is surely a big reason, but also has he not spent a huge amount of time here injured? Or is that just a perception?

• It's only excellent for us if we end up bringing another option in.

Otherwise we're pretty much down to needing to play 4 every week of McCleary-Mehmeti-Wheeler, Hanlan and Vokes with very little after them.

• You hope it's that, rather than making the wages back on the big deficit.

• If Kaikai goes I think he’ll go down as one of the most under-utilised players in the GA era. Clearly we’re not privy to the daily goings on within the club, but if we purely judge him on what we’ve seen in games, he should have been given much more of a shot than he’s been granted.

For Sulley himself, I’m actually not sure MK would be the best option for him. Coming off a lot of time off the bench / on the fringes, to me it’d make more sense for him to go somewhere that he’d be an auto-starter, which isn’t MK. Maybe he’ll prove us all wrong.

The lone bright spot of him moving on might be a small transfer fee. You’d also have to assume we expect to keep Anis if Kaikai does indeed go, as Sulley would have been one of the main beneficiaries of Mehmeti moving on.

• edited January 2023

I love GMac, but this season has been a down year, and I feel as though he should have been rotated a lot more often, with Kaikai and Freeman as possible options. It seems like a really strange move on the surface to move Kaikai on.

• edited January 2023

He definitely seems to fit in the bombed out category alongside the likes of McGinn, Matt Spring, Jason "Faldo" Banton, and to a lesser extent Sammy Saunders towards the end of his time with us. Really odd though, came with a good if spotty pedigree and always looked like he was about to be an option if not for a badly timed injury or call up and then just massively overlooked for large periods regardless of how anyone else was performing. Easy to say he trained badly or wasn't up for defensive work / being wycombised but nobody has seen enough to know.

• GA sounds confident we will keep Mehmeti (I assume till the summer). One more week to sweat out!

• Kaikai certainly had / has something but I recall when we signed him a lot of tweets from fans of his previous clubs using the word ‘enigma’. That can always go one of two ways.

• There seems to be a lot of talk of how he never got the chance, but unless I'm totally mis-remembering things, he has been injured for a huge percentage of his time here hasn't he?

It's not the same case as Horgan who was pretty much always available, but not always picked for long spells?

• How would anyone know if he's been injured?

• Talking of injuries 🤦, any news about Mawson, Forino and Gape?

• He broke his ankle this pre-season didn't he? For whatever reason he never got a good run in the team, but always impressed me when he did. I remember Shrewsbury away last season as a stand out.

I wish we didn't do any business with Milton Keynes, but i hope he does well for them in L2 next season.

• I have no idea, but I have this picture in my head of watching a horror movie with GA, with him providing running commentary.

(Zombie rips someone's head off): "Looks like he'll be back in training soon."

(Person falls off the top of a skyscraper): "Just a little knock there."

(Nuclear bomb devastates all life on earth at the end of the movie): "We have a few right on the edge of coming back."

To be clear, I love GA and hope he stays forever.

• Gape's injury record (whether it's the same problem each time or a different one) is a real concern isn't it? He's now missed significant parts of the last three seasons, in what should be the prime years of his career.

• Yes, it's really devastating for Dom. Such a good player, and he was in line to be captain after JJ. Not sure that will happen if he is rarely on the pitch, unfortunately.

• edited January 2023

Hopefully it can turn, like it did for Stewart.

Stewart missed significant periods of seasons for years but then became pretty robust in his later years for us.

• I was wondering about getting Josh Umerah back as he's scored 12 goals so far for a struggling Hartlepool side,he knows the club and i doubt he'd cost too much.

• Do you think that GAs stay tuned comment means we are going to have one or two new faces, or is he just winding us up ? Probably the later.

• Gape is a strange one. Was fit first couple of months of the season and playing regularly until unfortunately injured at Oxford on 8th October. 2 months out and then back in the squad and came off the bench against Ipswich on 17th Dec, but now hasn't been seen since 5 weeks onwards. No noticeable injury in his last appearance so maybe he's picked something up in training.

Surely it isn't a case that with Scowen and Wing currently starting and Thompson back fit on the bench then Ainsworth doesn't think he needs a 2nd defensive midfielder on the bench?