Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• He seems to have disappeared down the injury black hole with Jack Young. Young was in a boot at back end of last season if I remember correctly. Perhaps he was another long term absentee.

• I take him pretty much at face value of looking for “1 or 2…but only at the right price”.

But the thing is, if you’re cost conscious then January’s pretty much the worst time to buy, as teams at either end of the table will freely spunk the cash to either go gunning for promotion, or a desperate bid to stay up.

If we’re looking to add strength in depth on the attacking side (given the departure of Al-Hamadi and Horgan and the potential loss of Kaikai) then I would say those types of players are the most likely to attract the biggest prices.

Maybe we’re looking to unearth some under-scouted gem, my guess is if we do get anyone in, it won’t be a big name (even by third tier standards).

• The much discussed Kyle Hudlin might be available to loan after being recalled from AFC Wimbledon by Huddersfield.

• The only thing with him is that he’s absolutely rubbish

• Yeah, Huddersfield took a punt on the novelty factor there - a weird transfer in this day and age.

• It seems weird to get rid of Kaikai and then reinforce anywhere in attack - unless of course he demanded the move...but who demands to go to MK?

If we get a defender or two in, now that would make more sense, especially as 'Alfie's Knock' has become something of a longer storyline.

• Hopefully they just erred on the side of caution for yesterday's game, and thought the coldest game of the season might not be the optimum time to bring him back in.

If there's no word for the next game though, 10 days later, it will be time to wonder if he's coming back.

• I would have liked to see kai kai do something for us.... he's a bit like horgan to me in respect that he is clearly a talented player of decent pedigree... however, for whatever reason has not been able to get a regular starting place. . And increasingly rarely gets time off the bench... GA obviously has his reasons and we are not privy to the day to day situations and training sessions that have lead to this being the case.

When I have seen him play, I've definitely seen glimmers of a decent player with style and attacking intentions... but maybe because of his limited chances has never really clicked in the team.... if he is going...im not really suprised... I think its a shame that we couldn't utilise him more... but ultimately he's not getting game time with us and thats not what he will want or need. If he is to go, I wish him well, thank him for his time with us, and hope he doesn't stick 3 past us for another team!!!

• ...also... I would expect he is on a fairly decent wage for us, so it would free up a little bit of money

• My most significant concern with Horgs and Kaikai leaving is that I genuinely feel GMac needs to be rested more, and come in full of energy when he does play. If all of our backup options go out of the door, that is not ideal - though of course, two words solve this: Nick Freeman.

• 🤣🤣 I was going to Nick Freeman you, but you saved yourself with your last sentence 🤣😂😂😂

• Losing Horgan and Kaikai is only a benefit. Big cash saving. Minimal squad impact. Neither player delivered, both players handsomely paid. Who's fault that is can be debated. But I trust GA. We have Freeman and youngsters available in the squad to fill their role of warming the bench. Young must be fit soon, Gape also, Pattenden worth a roll of the dice etc.

• If we want to push for the plays offs and more we need another quality attacking addition to come in. We are worryingly short in cover for those front positions. If we are happy to finish around mid table (I know we aren’t) then we can stay as we are but we really need more.

Freeman is nice on the eye and De Barr will run around but we need a better standard if we have serious ambitions this term.

According to a usually reliable journalist we are about to sign a goalkeeper, I imagine a back up to Max of some description.

• To describe Nick Freeman as ‘nice on the eye’ is akin to describing Mehmeti as having some nice touches.

• His goals and assist stats leave a lot to be desired. He’s a good league one player but no more than that for me.

• When was the last time a team put three past us, let alone one player ? Alfie May and Cheltenham perhaps? Well, definitely Cheltenham - in that 5-5 draw in a gale. And I think May got a hat trick. The referee was the guy we had last night - Neil Hair.

• To be fair, it is hard to score from the bench. Freeman's conversion rate (18%) is better than Vokes (10%), or GMac (17%), or Wing (14%) - he has just had far fewer opportunities. I know it's easy to make stats say what you want them to say, but the issue with Freeman is the same as it ever was...he never gets a protracted run in the team.

• Memories are often short. I’m repeating myself, I know, but Nick Freeman was playing superbly as a right wingback at the start of last season before he incurred the ACL injury which kept him out for the rest of the season.

He hardly put a foot wrong during his spell of games in midfield before Christmas when Gape, Scowen and Thompson were unavailable and has impressed during the odd cameo appearances since.

• You get players who have more impact in short spells coming off the bench compared to when they play 90 mins. Freeman is one you can file under that category. Game can pass him by at times when he plays 90 mins.

• Two good players out, without splashing cash I worry we'll recruit better unless its a good loan deal in our favour. I would really have liked to see Horgan get more games and a run of games as think with that he could have offered alot. I always thought he and Vokes were going to form a good partnership with game time, well hoped they would. Kaikai may come back to haunt us. All the best to the both of them and I hope I'm proved wrong and GA has got it iall n hand.

• Unless I’m missing something Freeman only made one league start least season (lincoln, where he went off injured in the 63rd min) and he played the full 90 away at Exeter in the LC, partly featuring at centre half.

If he played 63 minutes at wing back against Lincoln then fair enough but that’s an extremely small sample size.

He’s a tidy league one footballer, but I’d be very surprised if he plays higher than that again.

• Kaikai gone to MK. Confirmed. Must mean we’ve sorted a new signing on our end. Or they think TJ De Barr is due a bigger role towards the end of the season. Nice.

• Everyone keeps saying we should trust Gareth with the people leaving, after all he sees more than us so I agree. If he doesn't think Freeman is up more starts then I trust Gareth

• Interesting that we look to have terminated his contract and then he signed for MK, so no fee received.

• Good luck to him (if not the plastic mess he's left for) , he needs to play.

As for us another injury to Mehmeti, Scowen or another central defender could absolutely knacker our season and GMac and others will need a rest, We surely won't gamble hugely on a promotion that still looks more of a possibility than a solid shot but we could do with a bargain hunt special or two. Someone who has fallen out of favour probably.

• I will go so far as to say that Nick Freeman has never let us down when called upon. Does he deserve to start ahead of Wing or Scowen in the current formation, no of course not. If Wing gets a knock or we re-jig the formation with a single player up top during a game, he's good to go. He's also a pretty good shout for a wing back

• I'd be happy for us not to sign anyone - and happy to accept that we won't be gunning for a play-off place this season. Instead, recall all the development squad and let's see what they're made of. Give Mellor a regular place ahead of McCleary. Allow Chrissie Ward and Jasper Pattenden and the others whose names I've forgotten a chance to prove they're worth contract extensions. Or else what's the point of a development squad? Why will anyone of talent sign for it if there's limited path to the first team? We're not going to get relegated now - I'd prefer us to save some money (it can go into the toilet upkeep fund) and not sign anyone else. I'd happily settle for sixteenth in the table if it meant we had a better idea of what our squad can achieve next season.

• This isn’t even a good attempt at winding everyone up

• I'm sure that anyone knows if Mellor is still at the club.