Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• I think Prem is pushing it a bit at this stage, but his ceiling could be that high.

• Posh are probably one to look at, they have a decent record of buying and selling, mostly because they can better afford fees for prospects in the first place and then have the ability to turn down low bids.

Individual playing value is probably immaterial really, the factors that drive the fee up are perception, competition and that crucial ability to turn down low bids. I'd say we might hold out for around the £2m mark in January but cave for less in the summer, less if form takes a downward turn or his contract end nears.

I just wonder if the Couhigs, or the trust in the same scenario could watch him getting crunched in tackles and turn down hundreds of thousands of pounds if nothing more is imminent.

Him scoring a couple of televised worldies and two or three managers wanting him would provide the best fee but he's still improving and I'm more than happy to see him stay in the short term.

• I believe the Couhigs would accept a couple of hundred thousand. It depends on whether they are looking at the timing of their out game being circa summer 2023.

I am probably wrong but the vibes I am getting is that they have lost a lot of their initial enthusiasm as the reality dawns on them. I can certainly see them moving on sooner rather than later if they were to find a buyer who would let them move on with no loss on their investment.

• edited January 2023

If they accept 200k then they can get straight out of our club - I think they've got more sense than that, despite the apparent loss of interest.

• That said... We won't know the fee, whatever it is.

• Pete is back over and was at the PNL with Gaz on Saturday. Let’s hope he is in buy not sell mode.

• You'd have to turn down £200k on the basis the club offering that should know they are taking the piss and are only offering it to test waters or placate their own fans, get nearer £1m and it starts to get a bit squeaky all round. This is where football becomes pretty merky and everyone starts employing agents just to gage interest.

• I feel pretty confident we'll have Mehmeti now till the summer. I know the end of the window gets crazy, but with 8 days left, we are so close.

For me, the fee has to be in the millions. For all the comparisons to Scott Twine, Anis has already made 29 appearances in the Championship and scored three times. To get anything less than half of Twine's fee would be absurd.

• edited January 2023

This came out a little aggressive - I just mean I think it's unimaginable that they'd entertain a fee remotely that low, especially as Andrew Howard is back on the scene isn't he?

• I thought you were spot on - if we accept 200K, I am going to go to law school and pass the bar in Louisiana just so I can negotiate settlements against the Couhigs.

• The key to any deal with Mehmeti is getting a good percentage sell on clause. We may not get millions now but if he develops as he has done in the last two years, he could be a special player with a big price on his head. Cue, Andrew Howard.

• For sure - this is also why I am hoping someone like a Fulham does take a flier on him, as their sell on partner is likely to be a bigger club and therefore represent a higher fee (assuming Anis develops appropriately).

Wycombe - Fulham - Bigger PL club is better than Wycombe - Champo club - Fulham.

• I'm 100% behind Anis and think he is one of the best talents to wear one of our famous shirts. But he's not a £5 million player. Yet. Coaches have sussed him and us out when it comes to the role he plays. If he can show he can work around that then sure £5m, £6m, £7m plus is the starting price. Or we tweak our formation to allow him free reign behind the striker(s) (sometimes, not all the time) and we showcase his talents and really put him in the shop window. But this probably mean GMac dropping out so not ideal. IMHO Twine was a better player consistently over last season and he was in that price bracket.

Of course all it takes is someone like Forest to say they will take a punt and £5m it is. But I just don't see it.

• I didn’t think it was aggressive @ReturnToSenda. My point was probably a bit exaggerated regarding the low £200K but I was simply trying to highlight the fact that the owners may well settle at a far lower number than we all believe they will.

Mind you, it is good to hear that Pete is back in the UK, so we may now get a bit more input from the top.

• I don't see anyone mid-table looking to spend big this window, just those looking to stave off relegation and those gambling on promotion, so the interest at the moment for Mehmeti would only be Championship clubs in trouble or possibly League One clubs just above us - assuming that there are no top end Championship teams or troubled top flight outfits who believe that he can improve their side, a safe assumption in my book.

Regardless, whilst we still have a shot at the play-offs, why would we sell a player who can be the difference in a match for peanuts when he still has 18 months on his contract? If we wanted to cash in during the summer, there's going to be a lot more clubs in the market than during this window.

• While I think people are utterly dreaming thinking we're going to be getting multiple millions, 200k or so would be like the bad old days of well meaning, but utterly clueless amateurs running the club. Selling clauses days before players moved for huge fees, or putting in International clauses for the wrong country type fare.

Don't think Twine is any sort of comparison, he was scoring 20+ playing up front for MK.

• To be clear, I don't think clubs are going to value Anis based on buying the rest of the Wycombe team and playing the same tactics.

200K too low, agree 5 mill too high, but anything less than 2 mill from the financial wild west that is the Champo (or rich PL) and we are the worst negotiators in the history of mankind.

• I truly can’t see us getting 2 million for Anis.

• You don't think he is worth half of Scott Twine?

• It would be nice if the transfer market worked that uniformally, but if that was the case then Darwin Nuñez wouldn't have cost more than Haaland.

• I think you’ve nailed it @Ed_ . Who would want to buy Anis now and why? I made this point last summer and was shouted down, clubs buy for a reason…fighting for promotion from league one or fighting relegation from the championship. Clubs like Forest have plenty of Anis types on the books, fresh from their academy and out on loan across the leagues.

Anis is brilliant, better than he was six months ago and would interest top of league one, bottom of the championship clubs, in my view. So Bolton; Barnsley; Peterborough; Wigan; Blackpool; Huddersfield - if they have the money.

• Me and him both. No way am I going tonight- a frustrating evening listening to bbc radio Oxford’s Jerome Sale’s ‘balanced’ commentary!

• He may be worth it @Shev but will we get it? As people have said above, it is hard to compare players valuations in this crazy market.

Let us hope we can keep him at least until the summer as I fear we would not be allowed to spend any of the transfer money to buy a replacement.

• We never get fair market value for our players , mehmetti is class and in my view is worth at least 2mil

• Sullay KaiKai in talks to join MK and deal could be agreed as early as tomorrow.

source: Alex Howell bbc