Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Thanks for clearing this up. Not sure why any rule change was necessary! It's caused more confusion that it's solved!

• I think his 2nd half performance was very much due to the fact the Plymouth identified him as a threat and nullified him. When he doesn't get joy, he becomes ineffective. I thought our crossing was ok for once - we created our best chances from diagonal crosses.

Does anyone have any stats on when we scored from a corner last? (not directly, a la JJ)

• Not a bona fide “stat” as such, just a fallible memory - but the last one I remember was vs. Franchise in the play off semi 1st leg. Prior to that was the game immediately preceding it, at Burton (Vokes header). Don’t recall one this season so far.

• It only occurred to me to ask the question because fans get so excited when a corner is awarded and I'm starting to wonder why.

• edited October 2022

But then fans love firing crosses in too, when that is a very low percentage play too.

• I said exactly this on Saturday. Can't understand what all the fuss is about, especially when we make a complete hash of a short corner routine, as we invariable seem to do.

• Mourinho was baffled by that when he first came to England. Only about 3-4% of PL corners result in a goal and I imagine it's similar in the lower leagues.

• Technically speaking very little of the time spent playing football actually results in a goal.

Even if say 30 seconds of active play preceding the goal counts towards it being scored that's still only ~0.6% of the time so the return on a corner is way better and clearly worth getting excited about.

• Yes our corner routines are not the same anymore. Maybe we need a corner coach 😉

• I need help. (Folk have been saying that for years.). But we’re talking technology this time.

The Gasroom typeface (?) on my iPhone is quite faint. My eyes 👀 are dim. I’ve been meaning for some time to seek advice on how to embolden Gasroom text and the need to do something about it now has been brought home to me by dint of having read @twizz’s wavy line as a minus sign. I’m bright enough to realise that a negative percentage in that context makes no sense. Does it mean “in the order of”?

To be brutally honest (and @Twizz knows me well enough not to be offended) the meaning of the mathematical symbol is a matter of supreme indifference but the daily strain the Gasroom is imposing on my indifferent 😑 eyesight is a different matter altogether!

I know that an iPad would probably solve the problem but, for practical and financial reasons, I’m keen to restrict all internet activity to this phone (apart of course from WanderersTV which is the only thing for which I now use my ancient laptop).

PS ironically, I just accidentally enlarged the text (and I knew about that thumb and finger thing anyway) but that stretches it beyond the screen and is not the answer.

Re-reading this post I can’t help thinking what a load of old tosh. I was going to delete it and get on with life but then I thought “what the hell, there’s no harm in a stream of consciousness from time to time, especially on a quiet day in the Gasroom “.

• @micra First post for a long time. Have largely given up on the Facebook groups and am more often seen on Twitter under a different pseud. Have contributed to ‘The Wanderer’ down the years and decided to pop my head back in here for some traditional comforts!

• This is it, if you start saying, well corners aren't scored that often, crosses aren't scored that often, Horgan getting the ball anywhere near the goal isn't scored that often, free kicks etc...

then when do you get excited?

The 8 times a season a player is 2 yards from an open goal?

• For someone who is now unable to get out much (and who has difficulty concentrating for more than a few minutes on any of the partly read books lying around unless he is eating) the Gasroom is a constant companion. “A blessed companion is a book” no longer applies!

I get Twitter notifications and have the occasional foray into that territory. I also see posts on Dave Gardner’s Friends of Wanderers Facebook page and chip in very occasionally. Dave is a good friend. He and Gerry, his late dad, were on ‘my’ table in the Woodland Lounge for more than two decades.

Hope to see more comments from you on the Gasroom as the season progresses.

• Your input is greatly valued @micra.

• What kind of computer are you on @micra? Or is this entirely on your phone? And if it's your phone, what type of phone is it?

• The laptop is an 11 year-old Samsung. My son-in-law recently gave it a thorough overhaul, removing years of garbage and leaving just Google Chrome and links to WanderersTV and little else. I use it only to watch Wycombe matches.

The iPhone is a refurbished Apple 8 which has a decent sized screen and is my sole means of access to the internet. An absolute godsend.

• @micra On an iphone go to settings, look for Accessibility (its 16th down on my phone) Go to Display & Text Size (3rd down on mine) and play around with the options.

Do you know what IOS system you are running (look under your name on settings and click on your phone (9th down on mine) and look for Version (4th down)

• I have no idea about Windows and Samsung laptops unfortunately, but maybe someone here knows if it has a similar functionality to Macs where on any website I can hit Cmd and plus or minus to set my preferred zoom level for that site?

• @micra What browser do you use on your laptop?

• Oh dear, @micra, it wasn't my intention to cause you grief.🙀

Yes, my (incorrect) use of the ~ symbol was meant to imply approximately equal to. It should be two wavey lines above each other, so think = combined with ~.

I'll try not to be so clever next time and just say about 0.6%. In truth I was trying to cover myself in case my maths was wrong.

Anyway .....

My point was really that very little during the 90+ minutes of a game actually results directly in a goal, yet we do get excited. So if 3-4% of corners result in goals that's a pretty good time to get excited.

My blood pressure issues mean I can't cope with being excited for too long anyway. But that's another story ...

• Google chrome but I don’t use the laptop for the Gasroom. Purely for Wycombe matches.

• I’ve had a bit of a fiddle but the Gasroom seems unresponsive. I’m actually coping quite well. I just need to spend less time staring at it and should probably keep the varifocal specs on. Being myopic it’s all too tempting to take them off for close work.

• Ever since the playoff semi final in 2015 where you played Argyle in league two, John Sheridan was our manager, l think you have always had our number.

The name Akinfenwa still haunts the defences of the past.

The actual game, l felt we gave your team & Ainsworth as much respect as we could. This was shown in our line up. Butcher, who is a central midfielder played LWB. Lonwijk who has played along the back 3 all season played at RWB. It stifled our attacking play, as you guys could see in the first half, but the idea was to add physicality and height to combat your attacking threat. You could see defensively we got caught out positionally as people were trying to understand their roles. 

It was never going to be a pretty game of football. We just tried to match you guys up and to be honest our keeper and some poor finishing helped us maintain our lead.

Our manager seems to be tactically smarter than our previous man, Ryan Lowe. He seems to know how to change things if they aren’t going well either at HT or during second half. 

l felt we come out better prepared in the second half. We seemed to be more organised. 

The thing about football is that you can win a game multiple ways. That’s what Ainsworth has taught Argyle over the years. Finally, the message sunk into one of our managers after many years of trying.

Btw, l think McCleary is a cracking player. Every time l have seen him he has caused us all sorts of issues.

All the best for the season. I have no doubt Ainsworth will be steering you up the league table very soon.

• @Argylefan Yes we have had your number in recent years, I think that's partly down to us winding up the 'darks arts' when we play you, as it tends to bring out a negative reaction on your side that we've thrived off. Also, I think we're a better side than perhaps we're given credit for. There's always lots of comments of 'wouldn't want to watch that every week', but that rather ignores the very good players we have. Personally I'm quite happy we get to watch the likes of Mehmeti and McCleary on a regular basis. I think it's fair to say that you are a better side now and probably better managed.

Have to admit, when I saw the teams on Saturday, I feared the worst for us. We currently have all our more defensive minded midfielders out injured, including the hugely influential Scowen. This means we're really struggling in the middle of the park, with attacking players having to try and play a more defensive role, hence we saw Horgan giving away a penalty in a position he wouldn't usually be in. All that said, I thought we played reasonably well, but missed chances in the 1st half and then couldn't find the final pass in the 2nd half. Although credit to your defence who did a great job on Vokes.

We should pick up form once injured players return, but we could be in for a tough few weeks before that happens. McCleary is indeed a very good player, but it's Mehmeti who's our star at the moment. He's had a flying start, despite the struggles around him. We're unlikely to keep him for long, he's far too young and talented to be playing League 1 (he looked good as a teenager in the Championship in his fleeting appearances), but we'll enjoy him whilst he's here.

• The so called "number" we hold over Argyle has always been a bit of a myth. It exists only in games played at Home Park. Since we started playing reasonably regularly in 2012, our record at

Adams Park W3 D2 L4

Home Park W6 D2 L0

If anything a below average record at Home. I would have thought our most successful away ground in that time (?)

• Going back 10 years is a bit of stretch in a conversation about recent results! Before the weekend, we'd not lost to them in 7 matches (W4, D3...with 3 of the 4 wins being in the last 3 games against them) which is a pretty decent record against a team which is amongst the better teams in the league.