Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• Spot on. And I meant to say earlier that I thought @arnos_grove’s comment about the monarchist view of the ‘whole country’s’ reaction was wildly exaggerated. Saddened and (speaking personally) unexpectedly emotional but ‘incredibly distressed and concerned’, I don’t think so.

• I would be surprised to see any statements from anyone before 11.50 as it was only announced a few minutes before your post.

Disappointed I wont be able to go to the game now with my two kids and pay my respects to Bill and watch our improving season. However it's a small sacrifice to make when she made 70 plus years of sacrifice to serve her country and others.

Onwards to Accrington and a few extra days for injured players to recover and get fit.

• edited September 2022

Comment to which I referred above. I am genuinely saddened by such bitterness and uncalled for mockery.

• edited September 2022

I agree. Like micra I've been around for most of her reign, though not a monarchist (I think the hereditary thing is daft) it still hits you. Speaking personally my wife's stupid cousin has arranged a family get together on Saturday. Three line whip and all that so I wouldn't have seen the game anyway so I guess I at least am a winner.

On second thoughts I'll now have to do the car park on a miserable Tuesday night in December. Not so good...

• This isn't really comparable to what happened with Diana. She died on a Saturday night and the funeral was 7 days later, so no weekend fixtures affected. Except the funeral was on a Saturday so (despite her not actually being a Royal) the games scheduled for that day were pushed back to the Sunday, including our visit to Vicarage Road, and the reception for Elton John (who of course had performed in Westminster Abbey the day before).

For the record tho, I'm surprised the fixtures have been cancelled. I think it's better to play them and allow people to make their own decision whether it's appropriate to attend.

• Also, Diana wasn't the monarch

• I'd say policing must be a factor, but the PL and EFL don't seem to have mentioned that in their announcements?

• edited September 2022

Plenty of instant reaction from journalists and fans alike. General sentiment is that games should have gone ahead as scheduled this weekend. Next weekend presumably a different matter.

• Yes, but she was the queen of hearts and the people’s princess. Which was very important at the time, even though people tend to remember their reaction at the time very differently today.

I’d also suggest her death was more of a shock to the nation, bearing in mind her young age.

• This IS our country and it is completely rational that fixtures have been cancelled for one weekend. I get that it is annoying and potentially financially damaging for a few, but we can and should take strength from collectively mourning the passing of a critical person in our lives.

• Whilst passing over any personal views I have on the matter of tomorrow’s fixtures being cancelled, in passing I note that the St Ledger meeting at Doncaster Racecourse tomorrow has been postponed.

Immaterial to whether this is the right thing to do, it will have a significant adverse effect on many businesses in Doncaster as Saturday night is normally one of the most important and lucrative sources of income for pubs and restaurants in town.

• Queen Elizabeth II seemed to be the best Queen or King we could have asked for. Although I’m opposed to the monarchy in principle and would prefer it wasn’t a thing.

It does seem to me to be completely unnecessary to postpone the football. I’m not clear what purpose it serves. And presumably security staff, bar staff etc won’t get paid for the shift they expected to work tomorrow so it isn’t without consequence.

I imagine the EFL/PL were just too worried about the backlash and potential reputational damage caused by the inevitable furore had they gone ahead.

• I think the PL games with have to be pushed back to 2023 as well. As far as I know European competitions are now run midweek every week up until the break for the WC.

• @Blue_since_1990 A sentiment open to not inconsiderable debate, but debate people are being firmly told to leave until she has been buried. It does give the hagiographers quite a head-start. One of the tributes on the BBC website probably by the Royal correspondent noted that the routine of the Queen in terms of state ceremony and holidays in Scotland would have been recognisable to her father and his father. Much comfort to be taken from that constancy in a confusing world, but without rushing to embrace republicanism, it is possible to hope for a little change to the institution and the way it conducts itself in a new century. I'm not a particular Royal watcher - there are flaws in our system that I'd change before addressing the monarchy, but I'm struggling to recall the Queen's notable contributions in this century, which for many people is the yardstick by which they might judge/form a relationship.

• Like @CarParkPete, I am not a monarchist. I have been an admirer of the Queen since watching her coronation as a fifteen year old, together with neighbours, on a 12” black and white (obviously!) TV.

Indeed, I find the print media’s ongoing obsession with all things Royal incredible (not least mrs micra’s Daily Mail, of course) but, given the amount of extramural, extramarital etc activity amongst the more junior members of the Royal Family, they’re not going to ignore it and it don’t half sell ‘papers.

• As a republican I have no problem with, having paid due respect to the passing of (as far as I could tell) a reasonable human being, stepping back for a few days and letting those who feel the need to mourn and grieve collectively do so and I accept that it will invariably interfere with certain things that I would otherwise have done.

• Cricket playing again from Saturday.......

• Why not replace the Test match with some sixteen over matches?

• Once again football is treated like pond scum whilst everything else can proceed as normal

• Just sums up the pathetic English lower class loyalty to servitude to the upper classes I'm this country the day when the outdated royals are gone the better.

• The main factor would be the Queen was Patron of the FA and William the President.

The decision to postpone was taken by the board of the FA, Premier League and EFL. The correct decision for football, not necessarily other sports.

• So it’s not only football that provokes you to make over-the-top comments? This has nothing to do with ‘servitude to the upper classes’ it’s to do with respect. I am not a fervent royalist by any means, but for all the Queen’s wealth and privilege I for one would not have swapped places with someone whose life was mapped out for her and who had little choice but to do what she believed to be her duty.

• edited September 2022

Couldn't agree more. There's a belief that anti-monarchists are an exception (and they are a minority, but around 1/4 of the population are against having a monarchy), rather than simply holding an equally valid stance as pro-monarchists. 'Authoritarian' is exactly the word I would use too.

• This is strange on two counts. Firstly, the Queen loved horse racing, owning and breeding her own horses and she was apparently still reading the Sporting Life every morning of her life. Would she have really wanted race meetings to be cancelled. Secondly, the meeting on Sunday at Doncaster goes ahead. Surely cancelling the Sunday meeting would have more appropriate?

• The Sunday is actually a new addition to cater for the cancellation of today and tomorrow. And I get the decision making process. But there will inevitably a lot less money spend Sunday evening in town than there would have been Friday and Saturday.