Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• What a horribly sad reflection of the shallow, selfish, disrespectful attitude of so many so-called football fans those Twitter posts reveal.

• edited September 2022

I can imagine... But I do think games should go ahead (I know they won't). I'm very much anti-monarchy, so I probably don't feel the same sense of gravity as others in light of today's news, but let's be honest: 1. Clubs can ill afford to miss out on the income 2. The same goes for matchday staff to an even greater extent. 3. People should have the freedom to decide for themselves how they want to mourn (or not).

• Any cancelled games will be played later in season mate.

whether you are pro or anti monarchy as a concept, hard to argue that she didn’t serve her country well

• edited September 2022

Agreed. My point was that these are extremely tough times for people, who need every penny they can get. Is that not a valid consideration?

• Fair enough. I find it very upsetting that people might go hungry and cold, but each to their own.

• edited September 2022

I'll bite and ask a serious question.

If the issue is that sport, being frivolous, being played this weekend isn't appropriate, they why isn't every form of entertainment/relaxation stopping?

I assume for instance that after tonights TV coverage things will return to normal tomorrow and we'll all be catching up on the latest episodes of whatever TV has been missed. I assume also that pubs, coffee bars, clubs, gyms etc will also be open during the next 10 days only closing (maybe) for the actual day of the funeral?

Not to mention noone has asked every UK citizen has been asked to return from their holidays and dress in sack cloth and ashes.

I'm all for respecting what ER2 has done and meant for the country but it does seem that once again sport is being asked to burden a higher share of restraint than many other businesses.

Frankly I don't see why games can't go ahead this weekend, noone is forced to attend them if they don't wish. And I don't accept the argument that the player's and staff will be forced to work as the same can be said for pretty much every other person of working age in the UK over the next 10 days.

• Very few people will go hungry and cold because a lg1 football match is postponed for a few weeks.

• edited September 2022

I can only really understand cancelling big events with national interest. If all sport really needed to stop, Man United's game could still have been called off at an hour's notice.

• We dont even know what the decision is yet do we? Sadly you will get as many people thinking we should be mournfully going about our business (with pubs open of course) as we will have wanting everything as normal. As a young man I too had a low opinion of the crown but I must admit I can see the benefits of a constitutional monarchy that has the ability to unite the country to a divisive Presidential system that would elevate some of the shower I've seen over the years far beyond their talents.

• That is pretty much my view too @Wendoverman . Impossible to defend the principle but pragmatically can’t think of someone who would have done a better job as Head of State than the queen. Time will tell whether the same considerations apply now she has died.

By the way I wasn’t arguing for or against postponing football matches this weekend just that @ReturnToSenda arguement as to why they should not was a little far fetched.

• It will make no difference at all to ER2 if a lg1 matches are played, but it may actually affect the mental health of some people to have their carefully made plans scrapped.

I'd buy the arguement that sport should be suspended until after the funeral IF all those other forms of entertainment / relaxation were also suspended and people stopped going to work but we all know that's proposterous.

• I was using quite an extreme example, but I think that aspect needs to be taken into account much more now than it probably would ordinarily. But again, games absolutely will be off just as they were after Philip died.

• Mate sorry you have to keep things in perspective. I don’t honestly believe that people will be cold and hungry or that their mental health will be damaged because one football match is postponed for a few weeks whether that postponement is caused by the death of the head of state or by the pitch being waterlogged.

• You still haven't answered my question, @DevC, why is sport being asked to share a higher burden of restraint?

Why aren't we shutting the pubs, gyms, coffee shops, cinemas, libraries & cancelling peoples holidays? They are all equally frivolous and could just as well be closed until after the funeral.

• Sport is not being asked though is it, it’s offering??

• No chance the game will be on tomorrow. We’re firmly in the territory where doing anything other than working and showing deference to the royals could land you into seriously hot water.

• I totally respect your republican view. And I don't dispute the economic perspective but I do wonder if people have the heart for going to a football game or even playing it.

We are all different. The Queen was always there for our country (I'll distinguish between the Royal Family) and I should not be surprised that this morning I'm feeling pretty mneh about a football game tomorrow. So quite a few people (and players) will feel the same I'm sure.

It's a tough one but I think I'm more in favour of cancelling the game.

• Silly question, you've no idea what will shut when. Difficult position for those in charge who will be berated for being disrespectful to either their customers or the monarch.

RIP. We'll see what comes and deal with it. Devs right, a weekend off won't harm anyone we have them all the time for one reason or another.

• It's a difficult time to be a Republican. You're required to stay out of the way for the next ten days, but your absence enforces the Monarchists' views that 'the whole country' is incredibly distressed and concerned.

I'd say crack on with the game and anyone who doesn't feel it's the right time can stay at home watching Nicholas Witchell channelling the thoughts of the Queen's corgis. Personally, I could do with a break from it already.

But I suspect it will be policing that's the issue, with 1,000s of them deployed to care for the pilgrims heading to Buckingham Palace.

• "the whole country' is incredibly distressed and concerned" or just respectful of a life's service. Have read a few pieces that get the balance just right in my opinion

• It's not a hard time to be a Republican @arnos_grove you don't have to be a raving Royalist to recognise the significance of the Queen dying or to understand that a lot of people are going to be feeling very grief stricken. The loss of a public figure often triggers feeling of grief relating to more personal losses and a lot of people will be feeling that today

Republican or no

• Even the bitterest republican can surely understand the human level of someone had died and a family's loss.

Reading some of these people's comments is pretty woeful stuff. Not so much on this forum In fairness.

• edited September 2022

Yeah, it's not hard at all. Even the official Republic Twitter account acknowledged that now is not the time for that kind of debate.

• The news media are as usual putting in a lot of effort with little or no content mainly to try and outdo each other rather than supply any news to us, playing the same tributes over and over in between talking to reporters outside places where they actually have no information to offer. I think it is a momentous time with great historical import and you have to admire HRH and her service but I could do with a break from it on Saturday myself and I doubt even the most die-hard monarchist would give a toss about it outside of the right-wing commentators.

• Would have thought the entire Trump presidency would have been a much harder time to be a republican.

Looking forward to the game on Saturday btw, agree there are probably better ways to show respects and you can't shut everything for weeks, maybe if the funeral is on a weekend then those games might go.

• Without pre-judging the debate about the role of the monarchy, I hope this moment of the baton passing, does ignite that discussion. Charles is self evidently not his mother. and we are moving from an undeniably exceptional figure to somebody more problematic, and judging by some of the interventions on Clarence House notepaper a different view of the constitutional position of the Royal family. But that is for another day.

The period of mourning seems too long in a modern society, but it is right to show respect. The Queen clearly meant a lot to many people, and it is difficult for those people to properly reflect if others are going about their noisy ways. I feel very little emotional connection, and I am not entirely convinced about legacy but I do accept sometimes it is appropriate for things to stop or be paused.

• Then again, tonight's EFL games are off, so I expect the full weekend schedule will be.