Skip to content

David Stockdale

Comments

• Nick Freeman's return will feel like a new signing anyway!

• @perfidious_albion How do you know that......?

• If I read Pete Couhig's tweet correctly, Gareth was in LA at the Rainbow Bar and Grill on the 13th and I'm sure he'd want to be around for any new signings for the obligatory 'Here's your shirt' picture.

https://twitter.com/petecouhig/status/1536666443231657984?s=20&t=BiE-_h5eGtZkrAndfTMC4Q

• Gareth to LAFC confirmed.

• Football catches up with you in the end David. There is no hiding place lad.

• If I'm a footballer who has just been offered an extended contract on the back of playing 60 games - I am enjoying my summer and watching offers roll in before signing.

Offering a contract does not automatically mean they will sign it. I imagine the like of JJ may be on reduced or similar terms - they will wait to see if a Wrexham or suchlike will come in with double the money for their last big payday.

Let's all relax and enjoy the summer. We signed 11 players late on in RC's first season.

• Ryan Allsop has signed for Cardiff..........wowsers

• It’s been interesting to read how highly the Derby fans rated Allsop. I actually think that (on here at least) he doesn’t really get the credit he deserves. With us he rarely ventured off his line (interesting that didn’t seem to be an issue at Derby) but other than that I thought he was a pretty decent keeper for us. (As actually was Scott Brown thinking about it. Do we have unrealistic expectations about our GKs?)

• edited June 2022

Put it this way: Stockdale got considerably less stick for mistakes than Allsop and he probably made just as many (not that either made a lot). Clearly the better 'keeper overall, but there was a touch of double standards. Biases can be hard to shake.

• Am I the only one that doesn't actually rate Stockdale that highly? He was decent enough for this level but also helped by a good defence. I never felt 100% confident with Stockdale.

• His performances, stats and awards for last season’s efforts speak for themselves. He was way above “decent enough”.

• I get that but do you not think the defence contribute towards his stats? Stats don't tell you about miskicks or goals slipping through his hands. I'm not saying he's no good...but it's not a massive loss.

• Gasroomers disliked Allsop because he never smiled. BWK

• Nick Freeman

• Very timely @thecatwwfc .

• I thought Allsopp was a good keeper...as is Stockdale but I do think Stockdale was cut a bit more slack than Rocky ever was. On the whole goalie is an unforgiving position and finding a good one is always tricky. Ingram, Brown, Allsopp and Stockdale have all served us well I think, but they all got some sort of stick. The keeper's lot. Stockdale was at the top of the L1 most saves list all season though.

• Number of saves / save percentage are irrelevant sans context

• I don't particularly rate Stockdale either. Good keeper, but we've had better. Prone to the odd howler where his arms seem to fall asleep.

Tafazolli is the best player in our defence+goal keeper by a very long way. Underrated by wycombe supporters overall. We are very lucky to have him playing for us again this season.

• I think it's daft to have a go at keepers for mistakes. It's not as though they make them on purpose, and if they do it all the time they get dropped anyway.

I have just always preferred a keeper that comes for stuff rather than always stay on his line, and it always baffled me why we would have a keeper like Stockdale on the books and not play him.

Whatever people think about Allsop, those two saves he made against Birmingham that night were genuinely world class, the second one in particular being perhaps the best I've ever seen. Certainly the best I've ever seen by a Wycombe keeper

• @ReturnToSenda I defer to you on this statistical question... I saw written that Stocko made the most saves in L1. I’m wondering whether that’s because he played the most minutes...? And would the stat be different if expressed as a percentage? Just idle pondering, related to your point about stats and context.

• I think both Allsopp and Stocko were great shot stoppers, for me the main difference between the two was presence, Stocko for me was more commanding and seemed in control of the box. Which I think you need from from a keeper.

• Why is it daft to criticise gks for making mistakes? If I make mistakes in my line of work, I get criticised. I cant tell my boss "but i didnt do it on purpose".

Keeping a ball out of a net is their profession and they get bloody well paid for it. Mad when you put it like that!

• Your manager, yeah. I'm sure all the players get an honest assessment of their performances by Gaz, that's his job.

You probably don't have thousands of people who are nowhere near as qualified as you are to do your job shouting at you when you make a mistake at work though do you?

• Stocko engendered confidence because the defence clearly respected his presence, he was the boss, did his job and encouraged others to be their best. Rocky a good goal line keeper just never exuded that aura, that’s the marginal but critical difference between them. As a result as a fan I felt I didn’t have to worry about Stocko where as I was nervous for and about Rocky - totally irrational but there it is.

• Stockdale's gone now, so he wasn't that great anyway.

Am I doing it right?

• You could reduce most jobs to a pithy one liner if you wanted.

• Exactly this but also: distribution. In Stockdale we were blessed with a keeper who would release the ball fast, could see (and dictate) the moves in play and was equally comfortable - and accurate - in the long kick to attack, the long throw to the midfield or rolling it out to the full backs.

Instinctive shot stopping is a much needed - and glamorous - skill that's probably aided by the fast twitch muscle fibre and reaction times of an U23 keeper. Positioning can be coached in. But good distribution and reading the game probably comes with experience and footballing maturity - which David has in spades.

• I'm self-employed and often have a go at myself tbf