Skip to content

Retained or Release

Comments

• I think GA and Dobbo looked at that squad and think that if all stay fit then that is a REALLY decent squad for the new season. We were hit with unlucky injuries at the wrong time (never a good time) to key players and that cost us. Hanlan, Mehmeti and Thompson were all key players and losing them was tough all at once. This was especially the case on Saturday when you looked at the bench and longed for a 100% match fit Hanlan or Mehmeti. Losing Gape and Freeman for a large part of the season similarly reduced our options. The emergence of Forino offset the injuries to Taff and Stewart and that was a bonus.

The league has got tougher for sure this season coming so expectations have to be set accordingly. Do we try and get some young loanees in and help develop them for other clubs or do we play a more cautious approach and try and develop our own? Young players (well we all do) love Bayo and having him at the club was a big attraction that no longer exists sadly.

• The league will be slightly weaker next season

• Re the additional striker requirement. I’d like to see what Al Hamadi has got in a first team context, maybe some pre season game time. He might just be the surprise package.

• Agreed. Peterborough, Barnsley and a re-building Derby next season should all be weaker than Sunderland, Rotherham and Wigan.

• Got to offset that with Bolton and Ipswich being stronger, but I still think it'll be a smidge less competitive - but then we'll strengthen anyway.

• Put it this way, I'd take 83 points again in a heartbeat

• How many players will we lose to the World Cup though….

• In reply to this @Malone , We signed Wing on a 6 month permanent deal so the club offering a short deal isn't out of the question. While my post about Gape as been rubbished, Rob Couhig will be looking at the figures and output closely and it'll be his money and contract that's being offered. I want and hope Gape to stay but if you've been paying someone who has been injured for a large amount of time this season, he'll want a return from them.

If Wing and Gape do both sign, does that not leave us with too many Centre Midfielders? Gape, Wing, Thompson, Scowen, Wheeler*, Freeman*, Mehmeti & Horgan* leaves GA with a headache of supplying them all with the game time that they would be expecting.

(* indicates that they can also play in another position)

• Should have a * next to Mehmeti as well? If Gape and Wing both sign we’ll have four players, two of whom struggle with injuries, going for two highly attritional places in the team. Seems about right to me.

• We won’t sign Gape on a short term deal. The Wing signing was a totally different situation and isn’t example material for this.

I can see a set up where five of those eight play in the same starting eleven and with the injuries we will get I’d think that list is a minimum for midfield. I’d probably add in a Young lad from the North East if possible

• I know nothing about football contracts, so I'm not going to add anything there. But I will say, as someone who once posted the sentence "I don't really get Gape", I thought he played a blinder every time he was called upon this season.

• I’m not sure if Jack Young is on a two or three year contract. He is very highly rated and was making a good impression in a couple of substitute appearances until he picked up an injury in training. Could be getting a bit congested in midfield!

• @Otter87 : Lewis Wing was a last minute signing in January, probably made in the knowledge that we were going to struggle with availability of central midfielders during the closing stages of the season. Dominic Gape had been a key midfielder for many seasons before his recent injury problems. Totally different.

• I was of the opinion we did not miss Gape, until he came back and I realised we did. Him, Thompson, Scowen and Wing are great signings I think.

• You're conflating totally different scenarios though.

Wing had half a year left on his deal wherever he was, and we in effect just took that on.

That's a lot different to putting a guy who has been here 4 or 5 years on a few months deal.

• But on the other side of things, in the last 2 seasons, he has only managed 15 or less league games compared to the 42 league game in 2018-2019. Thats a lot of time for him to be sat on a treatment table earning a nice wage.

Before anyone says I'm an anti-Gape person, I'm not! I would choose Gape over Wing in a heart-beat as I know and have seen what he can do for us.

I just have a feeling that his contract will be the one that will be the most challenging for both parties involved.

• edited May 2022

In Gape, Scowen and Thompson you have 3 players who perform an identical and effective defensive role. And deliver next to zero goals or goal threat. Wing can offer goals from midfield and perform a defensive role? So there is a contrast. I don’t know what camp Young is in to be fair.

• if his Twitter is anything to go by Lewis Wing has signed.

• edited May 2022

This suggestive language around players being “on the treatment table earning a nice wage” is a thoroughly ignorant and disgusting insult to our injured players. They have a short enough career as it is, and hardly choose to be injured. But the nature of their employment suggests injuries will come along, and often as a result of the commitment demanded by their employer. If they can’t be given time to recover, and re-prove their ability post recovery, then the club would need to hang its head in shame. Thankfully the club is not as brutal as some of its supporters.

• I hope so, I admire his cultured range of passing, and his tremendous shooting ability.

It's something that has been lacking in most of GA's squads.

• Darius spent a season ' on the treatment table'...and was told his career was over...glad we stuck with him myself.

• Check his tweets and replies. And his new header.

• edited May 2022

Yeah, nothing since Nov and his header is blank. What account are you looking at? He's @winglewy.

• Hopefully he has signed, of course!

• (At) Lewiswing11.

• I think the tweet was deleted. So maybe Matt is warming up the graphic for a rather dull Friday

• Combative mid field terriers will get injured, it’s in the nature of the role. So we should have a few available and stick by them when out.

Thomo always starts the season slow (& gets a at least one injury) but I hope nobody suggests we should pay him less till match fit.