Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• Jeez, our shooting has been embarassingly bad tonight.

• Excellent ballboys/girls tonight.

• Ring rusty. Not a single player worthy of note. Hanlan the worst for me but various others could claim that accolade.

• V poor tonight. Just that really. Go again and all that, I guess. We’re better than that.

• Fucking frustrating ?

• Mccarthy had a good game, that's it!

• Decent performance. Edged it on the day but got unlucky

• @HCblue said:
    V poor tonight. Just that really. Go again and all that, I guess. We’re better than that.

Are we though? I think we’ve had a lot of luck since the first few games. Take the luck out and this may well be what we look like.

• stewart had one of his worst wycomve games that I have seen , Ipswich were there for the beating...starting Wheeler was such a negative move

• @bigred87 said:
    Fucking frustrating ?

My words exactly. We’re better than that. I hope.

• Very poor. We just seemed to be satisfied with containing them rather than going for it. Our crosses are extremely poor. Great save from Stocko in the first half was the highlight of the game for me.

• I thought Obita was our best player. We dominated the second half but lacked the quality we needed to turn it into something more meaningful

• Thought that was poor tonight. Lost a lot of second balls / looked sloppy in possession when we did have it. Final third woeful - no movement probably frustrated at constant over hit crosses.

• Disappointing, but it's not the first time over the last few years we've
    1)Been poor over Christmas/New Year
    2)Been poor after a lengthy spell without a game

Need something from Charlton now.

• Maybe some crossing practice before the next game? Isn't that the reason we signed Vokes? It's been poor the last few games.

As has been said a few times tonight - frustrating.

• PJSPJS
    edited December 2021

Poor tonight - we need to mix up the high balls to Vokes with some ground play to bring McCleary and Mehmeti into play. Made it too easy for Ipswich every ball forward was a 50/50. We are better than that. Allowances for lack of recent match play but Ipswich comfortably played out that second half. Roll on Saturday

• I love Gasroom overreaction time. A sloppy performance born out of rustiness, nothing more concerning than that.

• You can set up a team how you like but when they can’t pass 5 yards to each other there’s not a lot to be done.
    Loads of lowlights for me but one summed it up. Mehmeti made space out wide, dropped a shoulder to lose his man/men and McCarthy ran straight across him. Not in a clever dummy run but in a I’ve now blocked you and fucked this attack kind of way. Their defenders must have been thrilled with the support.

• Can’t understand that performance at all. After being off for 18 days I thought we would be up for it but we look very lack lustre, slow and unable to keep hold of the ball.
    Very disappointing.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Very poor. We just seemed to be satisfied with containing them rather than going for it. Our crosses are extremely poor. Great save from Stocko in the first half was the highlight of the game for me.

The most frustrating aspect was that we definitely were going for it but were so poor in the final third. Thought McCarthy had one of his better games.

• Shots 6-10
    DAs 25-39
    Corners 2-7

A valiant performance with a lack of quality into the box and a bit of luck

• Predictably rusty (as we always are after a break) and far too much long ball stuff again. McCarthy put in a good shift up and down but his delivery/final pass continues to be appalling this season. Obita put in a cracking cross on one occasion, but apart from that we were incredibly poor in the final third (and poor all over the pitch). Horgan, Mehmeti, Taf (or Grimmer) and Scowen have to come in on Saturday.

I think we look like a team that is going to go through a bit of a bad patch, but hopefully we can finish the season stronger to get into the playoffs.

• Usually I'd be lamenting an awful performance, certainly attack wise, but to be honest the near 3 week break has done us no favours at all. We struggled all night going forwards and never looked liked scoring.

For me, it's crucial to our chances that the game on Saturday goes ahead. Unusually for this time of the year, we really needs the team to be getting games under their belt. The forwards looked horribly out of touch, that's as toothless as we've been all season.

As frustrating as it was, the 90 minutes will do us a world of good if there's no further breaks. If Saturday gets postpones, sadly it's likely the disjointed performances will continue.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Usually I'd be lamenting an awful performance, certainly attack wise, but to be honest the near 3 week break has done us no favours at all. We struggled all night going forwards and never looked liked scoring.

For me, it's crucial to our chances that the game on Saturday goes ahead. Unusually for this time of the year, we really needs the team to be getting games under their belt. The forwards looked horribly out of touch, that's as toothless as we've been all season.

As frustrating as it was, the 90 minutes will do us a world of good if there's no further breaks. If Saturday gets postpones, sadly it's likely the disjointed performances will continue.

Yep. Cheers, EFL!

• Very rusty. Neither team looked promotion material. Despite not turning up we should have had a point.

• Mainly dominated, gave away a sloppy goal before half time. Lack of confidence up front

• A nice change from too many games with a small squad causing our Christmas slump. Keeps everyone on their toes.

• Nah, but over the course of the season we have looked like promotion material and that's what matters.

Also forgot we're meant to be playing Charlton on NYD - I was thinking Sunderland was the next game. Let's hope Charlton can be arsed.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I love Gasroom overreaction time. A sloppy performance born out of rustiness, nothing more concerning than that.

They were not a good side. Not by any stretch of the imagination. We didn’t test their keeper who everyone knew was a weakness. This is points lost no doubt about. Not an overreaction it’s just a question if we have aspirations beating bang average teams has to happen, especially with a record so far against the top teams.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I love Gasroom overreaction time. A sloppy performance born out of rustiness, nothing more concerning than that.

Hardly an overreaction when everyone’s pretty much saying what you’ve just paraphrased ….