Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• I don't really understand the pessimism after last night. It was a poor performance, not questioning that, but we were always likely to be rusty after such a long spell without a game.

I would hope and expect a sharper display at Charlton on Saturday. Half way through the season and we've consistently shown we're top 6 material. No need to be down after one understandably below par performance.

• I thought the defence did okay considering we were soundly beaten by what was considered to be a poorly performing team under Cook at AP. We just lacked a cutting edge in the final third in my opinion. As with most games this season, I did not think we were out of it until the final whistle.

• edited December 2021

We've got away with quite a lot at the back this season - through a combination of Stocko bailing us out, last-ditch defending, and luck (poor finishing). We've got an average defence rather than a bad one, but that's not sustainable and we need to plug the leak. Returning to four at the back would be a good start, especially as we're not maximising the benefits of a back three.

• edited December 2021

One thing I've noticed is that despite having that natural width with McCarthy and Obita, they often lack a passing option - which is possibly partly to blame for sub-par crossing, as they'll lump it slightly aimlessly into the box as that ends up being the 'best' option. Last night was extreme as our players were genuinely bumping into each other at times, but the central players tend to cluster and moves break down because of it. Going 4-2-3-1 and having three AMs behind Vokes would go some way to solving that, I think - and you'd share the crossing workload between the FBs and wide attacking players.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Last night was extreme as our players were genuinely bumping into each other at times,

yeah, I noticed that, particularly when Mehmeti came on, it's almost like some of our players had never seen him play before and didn't realise that he needs some actual space to do his thing...

• Was it Mehmeti and McCleary who walked straight into each other quite late on?

• @Malone said:
    Having read those last pages, cheer up everyone!

A nothing sort of games that probably should have been a draw, against a team in a false position.
    Coming after a very unusual long spell without a game.

We're still well in the mix near the top so nothing to go too overboard just yet .
    Critical period coming up though.

Malone is the voice of reason, as usual. I also agree with Return to Senda that some people tend to over react to individual results. Look at the bigger picture, 42 points from 23 games is a great return. For all their problems this season, Ipswich have lost just two home games and with a new manager, a crowd of 26,000 and our team’s recent inactivity, this was always going to be a tough game and we deserved a point for our second half performance.

• PBoPBo
    edited December 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Was it Mehmeti and McCleary who walked straight into each other quite late on?

that may have happened too, I think there was a Mehmeti/McCarthy one though.

• @ReturnToSenda No. Mehmeti and McCarthy, I think. Though there might have been more than one instance.

After the Argyle and Wednesday matches, it seems to me that our best hope of success lies in having Mehmeti and McCleary in the team together. They each read the other's play well and have the movement and technical ability to cause teams real problems. They also cross better than most of their team mates.

I'm surprised that the management don't seem to see things the same way, and I was very surprised that Mehmeti wasn't introduced earlier last night, to provide some of the composure and precision we were lacking throughout. Maybe it's fitness, maybe it's managing workload with the Charlton game on Saturday, but I'd be interested in whether others feel the same about the importance of that combination.

On returning to a back four, would you then drop Jacobson?

• Dropping JJ is a tough one, but we're not as reliant on set-pieces as we were and we've got others with good dead-ball delivery (although one of those is McCarthy, who I'd take out for Grimmer based on other factors). I think there will be games where JJ might be a better option, though, or games it would be more ideal than others to rest Obita for.

• @our_frank said:
    After the Argyle and Wednesday matches, it seems to me that our best hope of success lies in having Mehmeti and McCleary in the team together. They each read the other's play well and have the movement and technical ability to cause teams real problems. They also cross better than most of their team mates.

I'd be interested in whether others feel the same about the importance of that combination.

Totally agree. Football's a very simple game - pick Mehmeti & McCleary and then give them the ball in the opposition half as often as possible.

• edited December 2021

I always think calling football simple does it a disservice. The best teams can make it look simple, but it's complex in its inner workings.

• Equalise before they score

• I don't think it's an overreaction to think "we are what we are" after half a season of evidence, nor is it negative - just realistic. We are a very good, playoff-contending team with flaws which have resurfaced enough times to be considered part of our makeup at this point.

• Talking of "we are what we are", how in heavens name don't Ipswich have a reputation for time wasting? I timed their keeper on goal kicks and it was over a minute on many occasions. Add in the throwing the ball away and blatant kicking it away after the whistle too and I found it incredibly frustrating.
    I now have a small degree of sympathy for opposition teams who complain about us.

• @Twizz said:
    Talking of "we are what we are", how in heavens name don't Ipswich have a reputation for time wasting? I timed their keeper on goal kicks and it was over a minute on many occasions. Add in the throwing the ball away and blatant kicking it away after the whistle too and I found it incredibly frustrating.
    I now have a small degree of sympathy for opposition teams who complain about us.

Yep. Their last 10mins was pretty special.

Donacien was doing some pretty special yard stealing too. The ball would go out next to the corner flag and he'd release the ball nearer the half way line.

• edited December 2021

One positive from last night: the ground and organisation (ok, that's two positives). Excellent location, no hassle with the Covid pass (not that I was expecting there to be), great view from the away section, and relaxed stewards who let you sit where you want (certain clubs could learn a lot in this regard...).

• Oh, and the toilets, despite looking pretty ancient, were in infinitely better nick than the grotty things at Adams Park.

• I do find Ipswich hard to hate as a club.

• @Vital said:

@our_frank said:

I'd be interested in whether others feel the same about the importance of that combination.

Totally agree. Football's a very simple game - pick Mehmeti & McCleary and then give them the ball in the opposition half as often as possible.

Also add Horgan in place of Hanlan, who loses possession far too much. Actually think we could see the back of Horgan in January if he doesn’t start getting some game time soon

• Who's going to pay a fee for him? He's out of contract in the summer. And we're not going to offer mutual termination to a player of that calibre.

• edited December 2021

Some really good comments today from the Gasroomers.

When did Donacien become so good?

We didn’t win many headers in their half and when we did they seemed to win the second ball more than us.

We did not have time on the ball in their half so crosses were poorer and pass options reduced. Mehmeti and McCleary the two who have probably have the greatest skill to deal with this challenge.

Subs were late in coming.

We probably played better after the subs and asked Ipswich some new questions, we seemed to play higher up the pitch after the subs.

Get McCleary and Mehmeti on from the start.

Time for Horgan to have a start?

Give Hanlan a rest?

• Taff and Scowen to come back in if available would make a difference on its own regardless of any other changes or suggestions but I'd like to see what has become a 523 go away for a bit as it seems to stretch us more than it helps. One up front with McCleary sharing some of the target man duties seems to be ideal then Mehmeti and others able to join in from midfield. Think Hanlan could do with a rest and Curtis could do with the support. Not always Horgan's biggest fan but can be an outlet and a chaser in midfield. He'd surely have looked at last night's game and thought he could make an impact. I'd go with this or as close to it as possible on Saturday.

Stockdale
    Grimmer Stewart Taff Obita
    Curtis Scowen
    Horgan Mehmeti McCleary
    Vokes

The actual boss may have different views and that's ok too. Weird that people sail in to castigate anyone who disagrees or offers suggestions after a poor defeat, we're only speculating and get to have a view.

• I'd definitely go with Horgan over Hanlan atm

• Horgan and Mehmeti behind McCleary for me. I was going to say Vokes could do with a rest but he’s had that. His USP is the ability to score goals with his head from accurate crosses but, for all our attacking intent, accurate crosses seem to be in short supply. I’d love to see the trio I mentioned above. Forget about all those long hopeful hoofs from the back. They’re not working. Bring on Hanlan on 60/65 minutes as an impact sub. Job done.

• @StrongestTeam I completely agree with that line up at the moment, I’d go with that (only question McCarthy or Grimmer as both have been poor this season). The 3 at the back has run its course (mostly) and we should revert back to a 4. I really like the team you’ve picked. Play that for a few games on the trot and play a bit more on the floor would be great. Hanlan is a great impact sun option. I think he’s been great but was really poor on Wednesday and Horgan needs to come in - a squad is pointless is there is no ramifications for a poor performance. Horgan has bided his time and should now get his chance again.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Taff and Scowen to come back in if available would make a difference on its own regardless of any other changes or suggestions but I'd like to see what has become a 523 go away for a bit as it seems to stretch us more than it helps. One up front with McCleary sharing some of the target man duties seems to be ideal then Mehmeti and others able to join in from midfield. Think Hanlan could do with a rest and Curtis could do with the support. Not always Horgan's biggest fan but can be an outlet and a chaser in midfield. He'd surely have looked at last night's game and thought he could make an impact. I'd go with this or as close to it as possible on Saturday.

Stockdale
    Grimmer Stewart Taff Obita
    Curtis Scowen
    Horgan Mehmeti McCleary
    Vokes

The actual boss may have different views and that's ok too. Weird that people sail in to castigate anyone who disagrees or offers suggestions after a poor defeat, we're only speculating and get to have a view.

I like the look of this team. Hopefully it would keep the ball more on the ground than just aimlessly pumping it forward.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Who's going to pay a fee for him? He's out of contract in the summer. And we're not going to offer mutual termination to a player of that calibre.

Player exchange for a defender or loan to free up wages?

• Bring in Alfie Mawson until the end of the season and if he stays fit he will see us through to the play offs.

• I agree with your comments and your team-sheet there @StrongestTeam and to be fair JJ could do a job as a CB if Taff is not fit (in my opinion). Who got castigated, I missed that?